1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match thread: Watford vs Wycombe Wanderers

Discussion in 'Watford' started by North North Watford, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Al the Hornet

Al the Hornet Well-Known Member

Not exactly what you'd call a screamer but they all count;) At least he was there to bundle it in!

2. Si

Si Member

It's a really sad sign of the times. People have zero patience. For those who booed today irrespective of the performance I give you Nottm Forest at home last year. I want to see where this goes and it will take time and change of personel. To boo after the first 90 minutes? Joke.
    Cue "I pay my money so I have a right to boo" responses.

3. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

But the burning question is. when he scored did you burst your shorts? ;)

4. Hornette_TID

Hornette_TID Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

you know i'll be there with you Al! Wemberley....Wemberley....(i was born there ya know lol)

5. Hornette_TID

Forum Moderator

that clip makes it look like he kicked it in..but he didn't..it came off his chest, which kinda makes it look like he missed with his foot! lol

6. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

How long will it take Zola to realise this?

7. Hornette_TID

Forum Moderator

unbelievable truly. And people left 'disgusted' after 90 minutes...shameful really.

8. Hornette_TID

Forum Moderator

haha! No, i decided not to wear them, just in case!

9. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

Promosing !! :)

10. Hornette_TID

Forum Moderator

Zola likes Yeates, and to be honest, he's not been doing badly at all in preseason...but if he's not up to it in league games, i'm sure it won't be long before that gets noticed.

Btw...did anyone see SD on SSN? How was he? Did they ask him questions we'd ask?

11. Al the Hornet

Al the Hornet Well-Known Member

Martin Taylor says today’s Capital One Cup clash with Wycombe has helped the squad no end with their fitness
    AFTER stretching his legs for 120-plus minutes during today’s Capital One Cup victory over Wycombe Wanderers, the Hornets’ Martin Taylor believes the fitness boost will pay off for Watford.

The Vicarage Road season-opener saw the ‘Orns eventually see off Gary Waddock’s men thanks to Chris Iwelumo’s extra-time strike.

Speaking to watfordfc.com, centre back Taylor said: “We got through and that’s the main thing.

“For us especially I think it has done us the world of good to have a tough game against good opposition ahead of the Palace match.

“We’ve managed to get a good work-out and it’s worked perfect for us in the end.

“By any means we didn’t play as well as we could have but as an exercise it worked very well.

“We know there’s a lot of things we still need to work on.”

After a bright start to the game there was a lull in proceedings as both sides largely cancelled each other out, while the 5,343 crowd watched on in the summer sun.

With the temperatures soaring, comparisons to friendly games can no doubt be made with the pre-season fixtures so fresh in the memory.

Although Taylor acknowledged the players of both sides were professional in their approach to the game, he admitted there was an unusual feeling about proceedings with both sides not having yet kicked a ball in the league.

“It was a strange game today, although both teams were up for it and we were professional, it felt just like it was really - in that it was a game in-between pre-season and the first league game.

“It is unusual to play a cup game first and it did have a different feel to it. Everyone was trying their hardest to get around but it just isn’t in the legs yet.”

With the goal coming well after the 100-minute mark, Gianfranco Zola’s men had to be patient to wait for their opening.

“As a team we looked fairly solid when things weren’t going right for us with the ball,” the 32-year-old highlighted.

“We didn’t fall apart and we were patient.”

12. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It might seem a slightly odd question, but did those of you at the game see a painted penalty spot?

I have read elsewhere that they were not there, and from the clip you cannot see one. I do remember many years ago the ground staff coming out with a tape measure and pot of paint when the spot had disappeared beneath a sea of mud.

Could it be that two penalty spots were locked in a safe? ;)

13. Hornette_TID

Forum Moderator

ooh now you mention it..i don't think i saw one...hmm, would i have noticed? not necessarily!

14. Si

Si Member

What does it matter, we never get one anyway!

15. Hornette_TID

Forum Moderator

Ah, so true,lol but another 9 minutes and we'd have had to go to penalties today...

16. josewwfc

josewwfc Well-Known Member

can i ask, for any watford fans who possibly had a better view, was it a penalty? it looked blatent from our end...

17. Hornette_TID

Forum Moderator

um...when? i didn't see anything that could have been a penalty from where i was sitting...a penalty for which team?

18. josewwfc

josewwfc Well-Known Member

handball by watford around 117th minute, our end were screaming for it! it looked like a penalty to me, but i didnt have the best view

19. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Derek Payne mentioned it on Hornet Player - towards the end of the game from memory, apparently a cross hit Hogg on the arm. DP described it as one of those he's seen given but doubted that it was deliberate -'ball to hand', hence the ref's decision - will just have to wait and see if the incident is included in the highlights on Player.

20. Jsybarry

Jsybarry Well-Known Member

Is it possible that Michael O'Neill asked GZ to give Hodson some game time before NI v Finland in midweek?