1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match thread: Watford v Queens Park Rangers

Discussion in 'Watford' started by geitungur akureyrar, Apr 28, 2011.

1. geitungur akureyrar

geitungur akureyrar Well-Known Member

The Match Thread

Watford 0 v 2 Queens Park Rangers
    Adel Taarabt - goal 77.min 0-1
    Tommy Smith - goal 93.min 0-2

The Hornets welcome the Hoops and the 12th team plays the champions elect. The travelling people of west
    London are coming to visit to Hertfordshire. And finally the Yellows host the Blue and Whites.

WATFORD

please log in to view this image

• The Manager – Malky Mackay

“The players have given every last drop of sweat for this jersey and for this football club - for that I'm very proud of them. We've got a lot of youngsters here, and the older guys have rallied around these youngsters and the fans have given them time.”

• The Hornets

Scott Loach
    Lee Hodson,
    John Eustace
    Dale Bennett for Martin Taylor - 54.min
    Adrian Mariappa
    Don Cowie
    Troy Deeney
    Danny Graham
    Sean Murray for Will Buckley - 78.min
    Lloyd Doyley,
    Matthew Whichelow for Marvin Sordell - 73.min

Substitutes:

Rene Gilmartin
    Piero Mingoia
    Danny Drinkwater
    Britt Assombalonga

• The Fan – oldfrenchhorn

"It was mentioned during the commentary that Leicester are paying players £2M a year in wages whereas Watford could not afford to even buy a player for that amount.
    For the money that
    Leicester are paying they are grossly under achieving, but they do have the quality when they decide to turn up. Unfortunately for us they turned up second half.”

Update on the Hornet's latest statistics

QUEENS PARK RANGERS

• The Manager – Neil Warnock

"I'm disappointed not to have tied the Championship up. I thought that we had more than enough opportunities to kill the game off. That's what makes the Championship so difficult. There's never an easy match, but I can't complain. My players have been brilliant.”

• Rangers

Radek Czerny

Bradley Orr
    Shaun Derry
    Danny ****tu for Fitz Hall - 23.min
    Adel Taarabt - goal 77.min
    Heiðar Helguson
    Alejandro Faurlin
    Kaspars Gorkss
    Akos Buzsaky for Wayne Routledge - 75.min
    Matt Connolly
    Tommy Smith - goal 93.min

Substitutes:

Petter Vaagan Moen
    Patrick Agyemang
    Rob Hulse
    Peter Ramage
    Hogan Ephraim

• The Fan – superhoopseddie

“OK so the champagne is on ice! baring a complete catastrophe my beloved Hoops will be back in the big time come august...Cushty!!! now the burning question is can we survive?...The Bookies make the R's 1/4 on, not to get relegated in our first 2 seasons in the top flight!”

Who will win?

Current form

Watford finally managed a win against Barnsley and to celebrate they played only 45 minutes against Leicester, that was their only win in the last six, there were two draws and three defeats. They are still scoring goals but the defence has decided to allow more.
    In the last six games QPR have managed two wins three draws and one defeat, but the goals have been a bit erratic

Akureyri's Prediction: 2-1 Watford wil overcome their poor form and put off Rangers promotion celebrations for one more week.And if there is one player who will not score it will be Lloyd Doyley.

There is a history

The last match: QPR 1 – Watford 3: Four goals from Watford and former Watford players gave Watford a deserved, but unexpected win. I didn’t think I could get Watford into a sentence that many times. Goals from Danny Graham and Jordon Mutch gave the Hornets a halftime lead and Danny Grahams second at the beginning of the second period was enough to kill the game before Tommy Smith marked in the last minute to give some hope to the west Londoners. Rangers were outplayed in their own yard iand to make things even worse the match was shown on British television.

Further into the past: Of the 53 league matches between these clubs in Watford Rangers have won 21 to the Hornets 20. The goals tally is equally bad 76 for the Hornets and 77 for Rangers the two cup games have a 4-1 score for Watford and a penalty kick win for QPR.

On My Radio: If you cannot get to the game, BBC Radio 5live and BBC Radio London will cover the game.

skál/skål/cheers/salut

Don't forget
    The Hornet's Nest on the BBC’s 606 or not606
    Drop in for some match chat.
    Travellers may want some information about Watford.

And finally
    Thanks to Northolt-QPR for these two links

2. Hornette_TID

Hornette_TID Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well done Ak, another fab thread. i can see us delaying the celebrations for another week, it's going to be tight, and not pretty, but i think we'll get the three points :)

3. Quite Possibly Raving

Quite Possibly Raving Well-Known Member

I think Watford deserve a lot of credit this year for what you've achieved on the budget you have, and you dominated at our place. That said, we've been top all year because we've been the best and only need to prove that one more time!

I think your victory at Loftus Road might be your downfall in this game, you won't tactically surprise Warnock twice (much as you may dislike him, he's a very very good manager), and we need it more than your lot do. It would be a shame if anyone did the double over us in the year we (hopefully) become Champions and I'm sure the players will be thinking the same.

I expect a dogged QPR victory. 2-1 to the blue and white hoops.

4. geitungur akureyrar

geitungur akureyrar Well-Known Member

Can QPR lose and still be champions at kl17.00 on saturday?

5. Quite Possibly Raving

Yes. If Norwich and Cardiff both draw or lose we'll be champions even if we lose. Which would be a really rubbish way to win the league!

6. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

When is the possible points deduction due to be announced one way ot the other?

7. Quite Possibly Raving

Just before the Leeds game. This would make it very hard for the FA to deduct points as if they do it so late on, the QPR legal team could wait 28 days before deciding to appeal. The appeal would then have to take place and be decided upon before the final outcome. This would leave the FA in a pickle; do they make QPR play in the playoffs knowing they might have their champion status restored and then have to play the playoffs again?! Or do they leave QPR as promoted with the playoffs having taken place only to find out QPR actually finished 5th/6th. OR do they delay the playoffs?

That's why a lot of people don't think there will any points deduction. I'll wait and see.

8. NZHorn

NZHorn Well-Known Member

queensparkrangers, you write as if you believe that the FA behave in a logical and sensible manner. If there is a possibility of making a bad situation worse the FA will find it. I hope not, you lot deserve to go up. I hope you win the Championship at your place by thumping Leeds.

9. Norwayhornet

Norwayhornet Well-Known Member

Well said said NZ lets try to keep Qpr honest till the last game of the season!

10. wear_yellow

wear_yellow Well-Known Member

Whatever the outcome of the tribunal and QPR should not be treated any differently from others who have done the same (including the filth up the M1) - they do deserve to go up.

But, my prediction as ever is a 3-1 Watford win, with The Steptoes scoring first through HH.

11. Jsybarry

Jsybarry Well-Known Member

Despite what queensparkrangers said, they cannot be promoted on Sat if they lose as Cardiff and Norwich play on Mon.

Could there be the possibility of the "vest factor"?

12. sth of france QPR

13. Norwayhornet

Thank for the above<ok>

14. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

This is true but only mathematically as with four games left between the two teams the goal difference to be overcome is 14 - which means two 3-0 results and two 4-0 results to go against QPR to deny them. Odds anyone?

15. Norwayhornet

lots , very long odds indeed ,that said you never know!

16. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

For anyone outside the UK it'll be on Bet365's website.

At least I only have a short walk home after our inevitable defeat.

17. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Not optimisitc then WR ?

18. Northolt-QPR

Northolt-QPR Active Member

I am:)

19. Northolt-QPR

Northolt-QPR Active Member

20. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

Not particularly. You always seem to raise your game against us and even when we beat you at home last season it was with a large slice of luck. Last home game of the season, probably Danny Graham's last home game, us being your main rivals since Luton's decline all points towards the players being well up for it whilst we've looked quite nervy recently although we were excellent against Hull and really should have won comfortably. Added to this the ill-timed reporting from Murdoch's news machine nothing really points to an away win or draw.

Saying all of that, maybe the team will be galvanised, come flying out the traps, score early and stick 4 or 5 past a young Watford side whilst Gorkks has Graham and Sordell in his pocket all day. I just don't see it so will be in the Wetherspoon's near Oceana from about 12.30 to get too pissed to care and hopefully there will be plenty of Rangers around me in the Lower Rous to share my impending numbed pain.