1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Review after the storm

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by itfcptc, Mar 2, 2015.

1. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

I think the game yesterday summed up perfectly how we are as a team. Forwards have improved, defence pretty solid but poor distribution, half decent players in midfield and there is even a little creativity but for me creativity whilst we're not exactly showing it in abundance isn't the main issue, our midfield need to actually offer themselves for the ball and show some desire and balls to get on the ball. All too often our midfield players pass and think they've done enough aslong as they keep their position, this is not good enough, you need to move and run into space, it's all about PASS AND MOVE NOT PASS AND STAY WHERE YOU ARE hoping something will happen.

Poor Tommy Smith isn't in the best of form on the ball atm but this isn't completely his fault, where is the midfield taking the ball off of our defenders? I was looking yesterday and everytime one of our players had the ball that player rarely had many options to pass to.

I'm sorry to say yes whilst we lack quality this problem isn't just down to a lack of quality it's coaching and management. Mick has improved an average defence and strikeforce through coaching and instilling belief, we really need someone to coach our midfield and give them the confidence to want and demand the ball and be confident on the ball when under pressure. It's been our achillies heel all season, we're too one dimensional.

I don't think there was much in it yesterday, both Norwich's goals had a slice of fortune with a lucky deflection but you did just feel if they needed to they could step it up. It was embarrassing at times to see their passing and movement in comparison to our direct hopeful style of play. But positives are we're still only 5 points off top, Norwich are the form team, so wasn't expectant of a win and we've far exceeded my expectations this season already.

Match ratings:

Bart - 7 - Made one outstanding save, not alot he could do about goals but kicking was a bit wayward at times, not 100% convinced by him but he's not a big issue currently and is better than Gerkin

Chambers - 6 - Not a RB should be returned to CB

Smith - 6 - did okay defensively but never been great on the ball, this isn't helped by the lack of support from those around him though, particularly the midfield

Berra - 7 - Not quite shown the form of late we're used to but still a calm head under pressure, his reading of the game is second to none in this team

Mings - 6 - An improvement on last weekend but still not convinced by him, not sure how the amount of money being spoken about earlier in the season was taken seriously. At least he tried taking people on though (although sometimes he had no choice as noone helped him out)

Bru - 5 - I like Bru although he's nothing special but a handy little player at this level but he had a poor game yesterday, though he was lucky not to be the one to go off instead of Chaplow

Skuse - 6 - Good defensively, didn't do a lot wrong but by god he has to be the most frustrating Ipswich player I've ever seen. Grow some balls and take the game by the scruff of the neck Skuse!!!

Tabb - 6 - Hard working display, kept himself busy, not great but not bad, at least he wasn't wide left

Chaplow - 6 - I actually hope we see more of this guy and although wasn't great I thought he showed more than our other midfielders with a bit of movement and actually showing desire to get on the ball

Murphy - 5 - Poor game, poor touch. The ball didn't stick and unfortunately if he can't keep hold of the ball he doesn't offer much appart from heading the ball because he's pretty static as a striker

Sears - 8 - Easily man of the match, did everything right with his chance just Ruddy made a good save. Looks a handy little player at this level and he offers us something different up front, due to his movement he creates space for others and offers us another outled. I often think Murphy and McGoldrick in a front 2 can be far too static.

2. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

" Poor Tommy Smith isn't in the best of form on the ball atm but this isn't completely his fault, where is the midfield taking the ball off of our defenders? "

The midfielders know not to even bother coming short as the back four have smacked it.

I don't mind direct play but it needs to be back to the FULL BACKS generally putting it into areas. The cbs need to move the ball quicker and look to find central mid.