1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Massive Weekend

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Doc, Mar 5, 2021.

?

How many points will Leeds finish on (12 games left)

1. 40- 44

28.6%
  2. 45-48

57.1%
  3. 49-52

14.3%
  4. 53 upwards

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

2. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Headlines in the Red Tops today:
    • Raphinah to Liverpool
    • Raphinah to Man Utd
    • Traore to Barcelona but cant afford him
    • Traore to Leeds cut price from £70m to £40m
    What a load of bollox

Media also going mental for Steve Gerrard after winning the SPL title. Well they haven't yet and when they do what have they won. Rangers and Celtic win the title every year so a two hore race which means the SPL is crap. Rangers and Celtic would struggle in the Championship are are really L1 standard, so what has Gerrard done?

Gerrard and Lampard similar players and I would guess similar managers. Does anyone expect Gerrard to take over from Klopp?

southernwhite, Gessa and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  3. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

Think you are being a bit harsh on Gerrard @Doc . Yes it is a two horse race but Celtic were light years ahead of Rangers when Gerrard took over and he has flipped that on its head. Every season he has improved results and the club look healthy now compared to when he took over.

It's not the best league but I'm not sure what else he could have done? Is he good enough for Liverpool? I dunno. I would say he has done more than Lampard.

I think it's wrong to just dismiss his achievements up there. He has done what has needed to be done yet done it in an impressive way. Whether that would transfer to the English league remains to be seen but there's no reason to write him off so far.

Whitejock and Doc like this.
  4. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Emu I accept your view may be different from mine on how good Gerrard may be, but I know a couple of SPL players quite well and they both tell me the league is crap, really crap and many of Rangers and Celtics players are ex Championship players. The rest ofbthe SPL clubs cannot afford ex Championship players that gives you a clue to the competitiveness of the SPL and a two horse race every season is not a league and no other team has ever won the SPL

FORZA LEEDS and oldschool like this.
  5. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

All he's proved so far is he's a better chequebook manager than Neil Lennon. Impossible to tell if he's a great coach. If Gerrard became Liverpool manager for the next three seasons, and Bielsa stayed on at Leeds for the same period, you could almost guarantee that Leeds would be finishing higher than Liverpool and taking their Champions League place, even if Gerrard spent x5 more than Bielsa.

Doc likes this.
  6. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

I am not going to look but i would bet that no team in the Premier League has ever gone the whole season with just 2 draws. Only the Blunts and Leeds have this very low number, so I am willing to bet that we will get another couple at least, which adds to our total points haul. I would say a draw will be good value for the next few games?

7. leeds down south

leeds down south Well-Known Member

1 year locked out
    upload_2021-3-7_9-42-15.png

Doc and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  8. Gessa

Gessa Well-Known Member

Not going to knock Gerrard, a trophy is a trophy but Celtic haven't even made it a 2 horse race this season, some of their defeats have been an embarrassment to the club

Doc likes this.
  9. leeds down south

leeds down south Well-Known Member

Rangers doing well in Europe again.

Irishshako likes this.
  10. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

I can see Gerrard becoming the next England manager. You don't need to be a good coach to get that position.

Southgate has proved that.

11. Brizzlewhite

Brizzlewhite Well-Known Member

I'd agree with that. Watching some games in the 00's up there, the gates for the non Glasgow / Edinburgh teams games are absolutely tiny. I can't imagine they're coining in merchandise revenue either. And thanks to Doc for the thread. Quality.

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  12. xbpod

xbpod Well-Known Member

Edmondson didn't score yesterday when Northampton got 4 but he still got man of the match.

13. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Hope things are turning around for him because he should start to hit the back if the net soon then. I have heard he may have scored yesterday when a looping cross/shot went over the keeper and Edmondson ran in to get the toch but think he knew it was going in so the other guy got the nod. Edmondson is playing League 1 and the others are playing League 2 by the way, so hope he can sort it

14. NostradEmus

He has been getting very good write ups just for his hold up play. Apparently he is the focal point of their attack and basically allows others to run off him.

Hopefully he can get a couple of goals soon and he kicks on. Might be an asset off the bench given our lack of strikers. Maybe go out to the Championship next year on loan.

15. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

Personally I don't think he'll play first team football for us, could be wrong.

16. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

It can happen and if I look at Ivan Toney who is now 24yo he has 20 goals in 32 games for Brentford and before that smashed in shed loads for Peterborough Utd. But back in 2012 as a teenager he too was at Northampton and scored only 11 goals in 54 games then went to Newcastle, Wigan, Barnsley and everywhere on loan, right up to 2018 at Scunthorpe when it finally clicked and he scored loads and has since. But his journey was 9 years and it was 6 years of hard work before it kicked in. We dont have that time, so I bet he will be sold in the Summer unless he starts hitting the net now.

17. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Just to add to this Edmondson debate, I have always been a big fan and he was crucial to us winning the lot recently and he was top scorer. He wouldn't however be anywhere near this season in Premier League 2 playing against much better players. Leeds have scored more goals than any other side this season and 13 points clear at the top with the UKs best 2 strikers in Greenwood and Gelhardt who both play in the middle or up front on rotation. Big Ryan is an old style striker and if he came back he would be behind the other 2, so not easy for anyone. Also remember we have Kun and Mujica too to sort out?

18. NostradEmus

Edmondson is still only 19. He is getting decent reviews from both Aberdeen and now Northampton (he does need to start scoring though). He is playing a role that usually is taken by players alot older and more experienced.

I would like to see him out on loan again next year, maybe at a bigger club. Give him time to grow in to the role and see if he can progress. 19 is very young to just get rid. There are not many 19 year old kids playing the lead role up front at that level. He may not make it at Leeds but if we can get him out on loan for a season or two he might be a little more sought after and we could cash in then. If he progresses well, you never know. He might stake a claim at his parent club.

19. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

I really hope he does. Bielsa dropped him the season before last and think words were had. We wondered if he was injured but when he did reappear weeks later it was obvious he had been on a fitness drive. He looked leaner and fitter and his body shape had changed. When he played he was more mobile and faster and he was tacking back into his own half. He then went on to top score, so he knows its for his own benefit. He could well come back and be coached in the same way Greenwood and Gelhardt are being coached. But expecting at least one of them will be first team squad full time next season

20. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

Think Fulham might turn Liverpool over here. Hopefully not, need to keep the gap as wide as possible, particularly as we’re in London tomorrow.

2 pennth and Doc like this.