1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Massive Weekend

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Doc, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Corbarans Doggies played well today and didnt deserve to lose. Matched relegated Norwich easily until dickyheady Stearman under hit a backpass and Pukki slotted home.

2. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Well the £15m we want to spend on a defender we shouldn't spend as yet again Struijk shines at CB and we know he can play DM too. I thought he was better than Koch last night and for a pair of CBs who had never played together because Cooper was out, I thought it was brilliant. These 2 CBs only met on Wednesday but were on apposing teams on Thursday because Cooper partnered Koch.

Whitejock, foolee and blonogasoven like this.
  3. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I agree, I’d go as far as saying I prefer Struijk over Cooper. If we’d spent £18m on Struijk and brought him 3 weeks ago we’d be saying it looked like money well spent

Gessa, Whitejock, Doc and 1 other person like this.
  4. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

...they both did some good things and some bad I thought Doc. Koch was blameless for the pen but at fault for the second - he got blocked but his starting position was wrong (got a freekick for a rinse and repeat for their disallowed goal in the second half). Struijk nearly scored a spectacular own goal and made the wrong decision for his header for their third. In between we were a shambles at set pieces (not just down to these two). They were clearly nervy at the start and lack of understanding across the back 4 is obvious when you see koch clatter ayling.

As soon as i saw they were playing together i seriously feared for the worse as it was such a baptism of fire for a novice and a debutant - and for a while it looked that way but.... both of them stuck at it, settled into the game, made some great blocks and were really good on the ball. Plenty of cause for cautious optimism with them.

As a side we need some set piece work because every team will have looked at that and licked their lips. It was noticeable that Meslier came for a corner after the break, he maybe should have come for their second. All stuff to thrash out on the training ground.

Given the 23s apparently had an aggregate 7-0 win over the first team over 2 legs this week (murderball and the behind closed doors game), imagine what they'd have done to the scousers <laugh>

Doc likes this.
  5. milkyboy

you prefer everyone over cooper <laugh><laugh>

6. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We’ve only three Cooper, Koch, Struijk, I’d go Cooper Struijk for now, I’d imagine once he is up to speed it would be Struijk and Koch

7. milkyboy

Coops has a history of high profile lapses in concentration but they have become fewer every season. He's made the PFA team of the season 2 years on the bounce. He's not that tall but wins his share in the air and competes physically, his distribution is good and often his passes kick start our set plays. And of course, he's the captain with loads of experience and an understanding of all the other players, what they do, where they'll be etc.

Struijk may become a more complete player and better footballer - i like what i've seen - he can certainly pass (I'm not sure what his pace is like... he has an ambling gate that makes him look slow, but seemed to have a change of gear when needed yesterday - maybe someone who watches the 23's can advise?)

LeedsInHeaven, Whitejock and Doc like this.
  8. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

I know the big Croatian unit coming in is a possibility, By having Struijk with Casey and Cresswell just behind him. I believe not bringing in another CB will allow the 2 behind Struijk to progress faster. Bringing a new CB in will push Struijk back to the 23s reducing minutes for the other 2.

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  9. milkyboy

the scout assessment reckoned the croation lad was poor in the air - think we have a few of them already! He looked like a gifted footballer - who could also play left back which might be why they like him - but looked more of a centre back to me though.

Doc likes this.
  10. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

11. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

It must be obvious now to Bielsa that a Rodrigo De Paul player is needed todo the Pablo role. Pablo wasn't firing on all cylinders and was replaced, but replaced by Roberts. I would much prefer to have Roberts available as a last resort for wing, No10 or No9. We actually need Pablo to be the alternative option to De Paul

12. Eric Le Merde

Eric Le Merde Well-Known Member

De Paul, or similar approved.

Doc and Adieu OEA like this.
  13. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Jordan Stevens will be going out on loan in the next day or two to Swindon Town, where he will be for the whole season. Good luck fella and come back great

I have already updated the 23s sticky above

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  14. lifecheshirewhite

Pascal has a very bright future, from what I've seen of him.

Adieu OEA, ristac and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  15. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

16. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

What a weird day, I usually have a quiet sulky day after watching Leeds get beaten. Not so today as I feel proud as punch.

Harrison received a raking long ball from Phillips and and scored a great goal.

A CB pairing who haven't spent one minute playing together played very well.

Helder Costa scared them to death

Bamford had two chances and scored one

Ayling covered some grass

Klich off the mark with a beauty

Everyone raving about Bielsaball

17. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Pleased about this move as Jordan can go back and live with his parents. Remember last season the FA punished the kid for gambling and made him have no contact with the club or home. He had to be isolated even though it was his isolation and being away from home that caused him to start gambling, silly little bets of £5 a pop and actually spent £30 in total.

ristac likes this.
  18. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

This from Olly Kay tells a story. A poll taken of fans from every Prem club over the last 2 weeks

19EA2D43-8667-4931-843C-47E594FACA9D.jpeg