1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Mason Mount, keep or sell??

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Chelsea Pensioner, Nov 24, 2022.

1. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

If he is asking for 300 gs a week, sell. I doubt this is right.though.
    Very good player by PL standards, but has 2 major flaws. One, he doesn't score anywhere near enough, Two, he doesn't dominate any area of the midfield, despite some great moments. He's hard work for defenders, but doesn't actually control much. This may well be because we have zero plan, formation or method under Potter so far. I could see Mount at City or Liverpool/ Real, being a great player if he knew what was he was expected to do. At Chelsea he looks like a second rate Hazard, same running everywhere like Hazard, but with half the technical talent, and less than half the goals or assists. That's not using his talent properly, but what he is reduced to doing with our 2nd rate team and tactics.
    The shambles that is Chelsea since Boehly arrived, and Mount not having a clue what Potter wants or where he is supposed to play is a recurring problem. However, he just doesn't score enough despite having plenty of chances. He is simply not a natural scorer, no matter how much we wish he was. He has plenty to offer, but no chance to give it in our turgid dysfunctional team.
    He's no Lampard, more like Paul Scholes, full of running, trouble for opponents, and a dynamo.
    But is that what we need?? I have no idea, but every year the Team changes and players' importance changes. Right now I don't think he is doing enough to be an "undroppable". Good as he is, he is not indispensable for the Team and until he is part of a better midfield line up, I wouldn't be surprised if we sell him .He's no De Bruyne, and that is exactly what we need, not just someone who puts in a fantastic shift but scores no goals and no assists.
    Mount is a great player looking for the right Team. Not sure anymore it's Chelsea.

BobbyD likes this.
  2. Bullet tooth Tony

Bullet tooth Tony Well-Known Member

It's not so long ago we were talking, build a team around Mount to get the best from him. That was fair at the time as we were contenders on all fronts, with him being barely into his twenties. 23 now and still a regular starter for his country. Something changed (Great song Pulp), when Abramovic was forced to sell, and then the club has made so many errors in the transfer market I don't know where to start. Not sure we will be the force we once were for quite a while, but I will never stop supporting the TEAM. As I have said before I have travelled to Hereford in the old second division 1970's it's different kettle of fish but sometimes just as tasty, and for different reasons.

3. Chelsea Pensioner

Wasn't the 70s when we had the Cod War with Iceland?? That was when Cod really was tasty !!!
    My hope is that once Potter gets our injured back, gets in a couple of key players he wants for his vision of how we should play, gets rid of the mediocre and /or players who don't always turn up, that we will see a steady improvement towards where we can again put up a decent challenge to the top 4 or 5. Midfield is and has been for years, an unconvincing line up in my opinion, always swapping and changing and too often just not good or quick enough. I think with Fofana, Chalobah, Koulibaly and Silva we are OK this season for the back, but not for next, with the last 2 getting older and slower. I'm sure that Potter knows exactly where we need better players and probably who they are, so fingers crossed and roll on Xmas. !!

4. Chelsea Pensioner

Not looking good with Mount asking for 300 Gs a week, he can't make the England team and his demands look very greedy. So much for being a Die hard Chelsea player!!
    If he continues that line and someone is willing to pay a stupid asking price, then sell him I say, He's not as good nor as important for Chelsea as Reece James. He can then watch his best mate Declan Rice ,a much better player than he is, do for Chelsea what he chose not to do. Greed is ugly Mason, think about the really big picture.

5. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

He showed great potential when he broke into the first team under Lampard a few years ago, as a 20 year old.
    Unfortunately, his game doesnt seem to be have kicked on from there. He shows flashes of brilliance once in a while, but very often goes missing in games.
    I certainly wouldnt keep him on at 300k a week, he is worth half that, max!