1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Martin Skertl "Facts"

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Bozz, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Four2Three1©

Four2Three1© Active Member

Fat lot of good that did.....

2. KingPepeReina.

KingPepeReina. Active Member

Sami Hyypia won every honour going except the title with Liverpool.
    Now tell me what did Rio win with Leeds.
    And Sami didn't get banned for 9 months for forgetting to piss.

3. King_Kenny

King_Kenny Member

To be honest, only a moron would judge a players value after 4 games (2 as a sub). Judge him in a couple of seasons

4. Four2Three1©

What has Rio's success with Leeds got to do with the argument?
    I'm talkiing about Rio's success with United, and comparing it to Sami's with Liverpool(since we're talking about who "outdid" who...)

5. Ze

Ze Well-Known Member

I'm not quite up to date with this argument so I don't know what's going on - but if you're trying to compare Hyypia and Ferdinand then I'm afraid Hyypia wins hands down.

Hyypia was vastly underrated during his time here, but looking back on it he had it all really. The Height, the power, the leadership and the skill to accompany it. If I had the chance to bring him back I would (for coaching, he's too old for the premiership in my opinion).

Ferdinand is no doubt a decent defender but I do feel he is often over-hyped and whilst puts in good performances every now and again he ends up being out for more of the season than he plays.

Of course I may seem a bit bias but having seen both of them play, and following Rio's career during his time at Leeds and United I would have to say Hyypia wins.

6. Four2Three1©

It's nice to have a reasoned and intelligent response that doesn't involve silly comparisons like: "His concentration levels were comparable to Phil Babbs"

I agree that Hypia was definatey a top player, and had asuperb reading of the game.
    Definately underrated.

But in terms of them as players, I find it hard to compare them. Totally different defensive aproaches to each other.
    Rio was always a fairly pacey defender who has could play comfortably with the ball at his feet near his own goal..
    He wasn't born with the superb reading of Hypia, and for years had tendencies to lose concentration, but has gained and developed a decent reading recently through experience. Unfortunately, he is starting to pick up too many injuries for him to use it.

Whereas Hypia wasn't pacey, but he had very good reading of the game which meant teams wern't able to exploit it. It was only towards the end of his Anfield days where this was exploited.
    He's a big guy and also provided a good goal threat from set pieces.

7. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I also think that Hypia was more consistent, but Rio was capable of playing to a higher level. I'd rather have Rio on a good day over Hypia on a good day, but I'd rather have Hypia on a bad day over Rio on a bad day.

But like you say, they're too different to make direct comparisons. I think it will ultimately come down to what people want to see from their defenders.

8. Bozz

Bozz Well-Known Member

Trying to compare the ability of an individual by measuring the success of a team is bad form. Unless you seriously think that Salomon Kalou is a better player then Alan Shearer ever was

9. Four2Three1©

Did you even read the quote I was responding to..?
    Who said anything about who's better?

He said Liverpool outdid us by signing Hypia...
    but considering Rio has been a big part in our success for a few years I don't think we were outdone at all..

10. BringBackfootie

BringBackfootie New Member

Another who thinks Ferdinand is anything but an expensive ball watcher, good feet for a CB, good when the ball is in front of him, not a great marker and a definate ball watcher, not so responsible as you may think for Uniteds success, Vidic has made him look good for a long time now

Dont even compare Sami to the rappin drug cheat. Sami is a legend, Ferdinand is just another United player, not even held in such regard as Bruce Palister Irwin ect

11. Constcrepe

Constcrepe Active Member

Pray tell when did Rio take drugs? Where was the proof?

12. Constcrepe

Constcrepe Active Member

Once more KPR talks through his arse. Rio not a England regular at Leeds? He made his England debut while a West Ham player at the age of 19 years as a substitute in a friendly against Cameroon. After an impressive 1997/98 season he was selected for the 1998 FIFA World Cup squad as a 19 year old. While he didn't make Kevin Keegan's 22 man squad for the 2000 European Championship, he established himself as a first choice player under Sven-Göran Eriksson. Rio was also selected as one of England's two first choice centre backs at the 2002 and 2006 World Cups, wearing the number 5 shirt.

Rio was in the England World Cup squad while at Leeds and as a result of his performance at the 2002 tournament, was chased by SAF. Rio was never worth £18 or £29 million. On that I agree. But by that token Carroll is never worth £35 million regardless if there is potential. Only a chimpanzee would say Liverpool, you've got a bargain!

13. KingPepeReina.

KingPepeReina. Active Member

Bringbackfootee.
    Thats what I'm getting at.
    Ferdinands concentration levels were always suspect.Thats why I brought Phil Babb up.Phil Babb was the same,play the ball IN FRONT of him he was great,get in around the back of him,trouble.Out of all the centre backs in the premiership Rio Ferdinand is the biggest ball watcher.Thats why Man United seem to struggle when Ferdinand is paired with anyone bar Vidic.Vidic is in my opinion a better version of Jamie Carragher.Both do the same job,However Vidic is no Mark Lawrenson.

14. Constcrepe

Constcrepe Active Member

Yeah you're right, Lawrenson was crap.

15. Jerel Ifil

Jerel Ifil Well-Known Member

Leeds are United so I don't know what you're talking about.

"Leeds and United"? Same thing. <yikes>

16. Ze

Ze Well-Known Member

I don't know whether to side with you or not! :azn:

17. BringBackfootie

Nice one swarbs, recognition bad or good always welcome, nice to see:)
    oh Swarbs my week would be a wee bit darker if you didn't keep me occupied in that little time between thinking I need a dump and going for one:)

You may take that quote and turn it around matey, you just fkn love to come on here, you know you do, admit it you are a closet scouse, it's ok, you can get a cream for that at the chemist without perscription these days:)

A spiral of crap indeed.

18. BringBackfootie

take Vidic add some ability and a brain, a very good footballing brain and you got Lawrenson. oh Babb Go on the "Irish..ish" lmao

19. Muppetfinder General

Muppetfinder General Well-Known Member

Indeed. A bit rich of a bloke who was determined, day after day, to prove the Glazers have a bigger dick than FSG to accuse us of pissing contests. Is he still at it? I got bored and stopped reading.

I've been on the Utd board once to take the piss out of Herbiberbinanidezi because there was a link here to his whiny thread. Maybe there's no insults on the Utd board because nobody goes there except Mancs to share their denials and delusions, discuss hookers and get advice on how to maximise their investments.

They don't seem to realise that it's not the insults which keep them coming back, because you know they'll be back here tomorrow no matter what. It's a compulsion, an obsession, like a drug addiction. They gotta have a little piece of the sweet, sweet Liverpool crack.

20. BringBackfootie

Oh yes indeed. A rock a day for Swarbs and his wondering cohorts, they can't get enough, I can say in all honesty I post about 1.5% of my posts on the United board, maybe less than that actually

@Swarbs, when you count my posts there and on here I am sure you will give me an accurate percentage:)

The Prawn Sambo board has tumbleweeds blowing around, tumbling slowly accross the pages and that wind whistling noise.
    it is more of a spoilt brat board while this one just has passion and a fairly open view of the game. The answer to so many arguments about football by United fans is, be debate on players tactics and other individual elements of the game, to say, duhh we're top of the league, duhh in the CL duhhh franks n beans, I heard that so many times last season and well.. lmfao I did at the end of the season.