1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Martial reject new contract and Rashford frustrated

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Shwan71, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Shwan71

Shwan71 Active Member

I hated it last time when we bought RVP, and people critcised me at that time here.. but I thought we needed long term plan but RVP was 29 at end of his prime and he really did had one good season for us
    Now we bought Sanchez at same age ..but is worst this time bcz it was at expenses of our 2 brightest players Martial and Rashford ..
    I can understand Martial wanting to leave & rejecting the new contract .. it was hard before when competing with Rashfrod , let alone now we have Sanchez starting no matter how bad he plays .. Rashford according to news today is unhappy, not starting matches after Liverpool display or pushed at right side.
    I think we fkd it up big time buying Sanchez just bcz (like Sir Alex), Jose wanted a quick fix too.
    am really gutted ... It was bad business

2. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

We won the league in RVP first season so it absolutely paid off.

We were never going to win it this year but I did expect us to go for the CL instead of surrendering in the very next round.

I expect Martial to leave unfortunately but Rashford won't. Are we simply to have a first eleven and then dog **** reserves, like the good old days?

No, course not. Rashford will get ample opportunities.

Shwan71 likes this.
  3. Shwan71

Shwan71 Active Member

yes we win the league then we had run into ****y period bcz Sir Alex didn't build a core for a great side and we paid high price of next years ..
    I rather had Martial instead of Sanchez ..we need to build great squad for longer term
    aside from 2nd half facing City .. Martial is way better even now
    agree, any side who can challenge for league need a good bench , but I feel Sanchez created more problems than solved ones.

4. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

I personally would not sacrifice either Martial or Rashford for Sanchez even though I understand the value that Sanchez brings. He is far too old to be replacing young players that are extremely talented. We need to be building for the future and Martial and Rashford should be that future. It would be a sad day when we eventually lose Martial.

Diego likes this.
  5. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

I know what you're both getting at but, Sanchez is 29.

Twenty nine.

'Far too old'! Calm down.

6. gav81

gav81 Active Member

We can't say it wasn't expected that Mourinho would be bad for many of the youngsters but Martial in particular has suffered. This is a manager who alienated established talents like Robben, Ronaldo and Hazard with his defensive demands - what chance did Martial have?

Even Rashford I don't buy the line about how many games he's played when 8 minutes against City are counted as one appearance. Especially when most appearances come pushed wide with defensive responsibility rather than his favoured position at centre forward.

It's sad that there are two equivalent youngsters down the road in Sane and Jesus who have been part of a scintillating attack running away with the league under Pep.

7. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

You do know that Sane and Sterling are expected to (and do) put in defensive work when their team don't have possession?

Rashford's "preferred" position is irrelevant, Martial is a better and more composed finisher than him but he is not a centre forward either. Both players are far more effective for the team playing wide left which is why they share duties to keep that threat at full level. Which of the two do you think would lead the line more effectively than Lukaku?

8. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Jesus has played 1223 minutes in the league this season.

Martial has played 1346 mins, Rashford has played 1468 minutes.

And it's still like reading Trump's Twitter feed...

9. gav81

gav81 Active Member

Take a look at Sane on all three of our goals the other day, that's the sort of positioning/defending for which Mourinho would drop a player and give a public dressing down to. Martial has been a victim of that and Rashford's attacking play has suffered due to the fear of being caught out of position. Yet I didn't hear Pep criticise Sane and I doubt he will drop him. There's no contest in the freedom that he gives City's attacking players.

I think there's room in the team for Lukaku, Martial and Rashford. In Mourinho's preferred formation the three could share the centre forward spot and even interchange in the way that City do. Then Sanchez, Mata and Lingard to fight for the number ten spot and cover for the wide positions.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  10. gav81

gav81 Active Member

Total league and CL: -

Sane 2,652 minutes (29 starts)
    Jesus 1,841 minutes (21 starts)
    Rashford 1,813 minutes (17 starts)
    Martial 1,689 minutes (20 starts)

Also, Jesus was out with injury for two months.

The lack of minutes is an issue but the bigger problem is Mourinho's penchant for defence not getting the best from these players while in Pep's team the equivalent youngsters shine.

11. gav81

gav81 Active Member

In today's press conference Jose was asked about reports surrounding Martial and Rashford. He gave a flat answer that he can only put eleven players in the team.

Jose also rolled out the line about how many appearances Rashford has made. The reporter asked why most of those come from the bench. Jose said because that is what he decides.

It didn't inspire much confidence of either players' importance to the team or squad.

12. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

I think Gav's point is spot on here. Sane and Sterling are indeed the equivalent of Rashford and Martial and if you give me a choice to choose a pair, I would pick ours because I believe they are better if presented the same opportunity to grow. There is this need for instant gratification that ultimately fks up the future. Class of 92 would have never existed if they were deployed under Jose. Timothy-Fosu, got sent on loan and we went to spend money on even poorer defender. WHY? Instant gratification!

From my perspective, we should be building the team around talented youngsters to have successful and sustained future that ends up costing less.