1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Mars

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by Libby, Feb 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

<laugh>

Treble likes this.
  2. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Ignoring the Tom Hanks incident when he tried going to the moon, generally they will have worked it all out before going anywhere.

We may be at cross purposes here and I'm not even sure I can be arsed to go over it again but here goes... there's a stepped progression. I was talking about colonising the moon, and/or Mars... then moving on to a distant planet or moons like Europa or Titan. You keep flitting between both. They're entirely separate.

I think colonising the moon or mars will take a huge amount of time and logistics to set up and maintain. I think up until this point, what Munse said about humanity still dying out if Earth was destroyed is a fair outcome. However, once a colony is established on the moon/mars, the next stage may not take as long because within that time (which I've agreed will take a fck of a long time) we will discover new processes, means, technology to be able to take that development/capability with us to those distant planets and moons, in ways which we cannot possibly imagine right now because we'll discover those methods in a large part through our trial and error and breakthroughs as we're colonising the Earth's moon/Mars.

Diego likes this.
  3. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

[QUOTE="Treble, post: 15204758, member: 1005252"]Ignoring the Tom Hanks incident when he tried going to the moon, generally they will have worked it all out before going anywhere.

We may be at cross purposes here and I'm not even sure I can be arsed to go over it again but here goes... there's a stepped progression. I was talking about colonising the moon, and/or Mars... then moving on to a distant planet or moons like Europa or Titan. You keep flitting between both. They're entirely separate.

I think colonising the moon or mars will take a huge amount of time and logistics to set up and maintain. I think up until this point, what Munse said about humanity still dying out if Earth was destroyed is a fair outcome. However, once a colony is established on the moon/mars, the next stage may not take as long because within that time (which I've agreed will take a fck of a long time) we will discover new processes, means, technology to be able to take that development/capability with us to those distant planets and moons, in ways which we cannot possibly imagine right now because we'll discover those methods in a large part through our trial and error and breakthroughs as we're colonising the Earth's moon/Mars.[/QUOTE]

:huh:

brb likes this.
  4. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

:huh:[/QUOTE]

Apollo 13 movie <laugh> It was in response to Diego's ridiculous analogy.

Generally we don't set off across the cosmos like a truck across alaska ffs.

5. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Yo retards

sort y quotes out

Diego and Treble like this.
  6. Edelman

Edelman Well-Known Member

I dont think its possible the distances are just to great .
    Mars was apparently quite active up to 50 million years ago before the solar winds finally stripped it bare after volcanic activity ended.

Diego likes this.
  7. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Happy that you got the drift of my thinking.
    Treble seemed to get the wrong end of the stick by thinking i said it could never be done when all i was saying is it would take century's to get anywhere (which in fact is what he was pointing out in a different way) because you would have to establish an industrial society on each planet in order to move to the next one.

8. Gessa

Gessa Well-Known Member

duggie2000 and brb like this.
  9. Sucky

Sucky peoples champ & forum saviour

please log in to view this image

10. Prince Knut

Apollo 13 movie <laugh> It was in response to Diego's ridiculous analogy.

Generally we don't set off across the cosmos like a truck across alaska ffs.[/QUOTE]

Ah, that was Jim Lovell. Hanks played him. Hanks wasn't really an astronaut, although he was closer to some of them than their own families! He did write and direct (and star in an episode of) From The Earth To The Moon, which is one of the best series ever on TV, imo.

Treble likes this.

11. Prince Knut

12. Prince Knut

Ancient Mars lake had fast-moving floods that carried huge boulders
    SPACE 7 October 2021
    By Jason Arunn Murugesu

Rock layers in Kodiak butte on Mars in an image taken by the Perseverance rover

NASA/JPL-Caltech/LANL/CNES/CNRS/IRAP/LPG

The ancient lake that once sat in Jezero crater on Mars flooded billions of years ago, transporting large boulders through a river delta and depositing fine-grained clay that could potentially preserve signs of ancient life.

Nicolas Mangold at the University of Nantes in France and his colleagues analysed photographs of a cliff face taken by NASA’s Perseverance rover from February to May 2021.

The researchers identified three parts of a rock formation shown in the images called Kodiak butte, at the opening of the lake. At the top, there are large boulders, the biggest of which is 1.5 metres wide and 1 metre high, that suggest the flow of water into the lake sped up enough at one point that it could carry the rocks over tens of kilometres.

Below the boulders, they found a build-up of sediment that points to a steady and consistent river flow before the boulder-carrying floods hit the crater. We have no idea what caused the floods, Mangold says.

Meanwhile, on the lowest layer the team saw evidence of mudstones, which Mangold says are most capable of storing signs of ancient life.

Read more: NASA’s Perseverance rover has been hit by 100 ‘dust devils’ on Mars
    “These images are a rock-solid case for the presence of a sustained lake at Jezero crater,” says Joe Levy at Colgate University in Hamilton, New York. “The features I’m most excited about… are these muddier, finer-grained parts of the delta [which] have never been explored on Mars and have the best chance of preserving organic matter or other clues to whether any organisms could have called the lake home during Mars’ early, warmer, wetter period.”

There is currently no liquid water on Mars because the planet is too cold and the pressure in the atmosphere is too low. But 3.7 billion years ago, water flowed on the surface.

The three rock layers in the images from Perseverance look typical of a shoreline and like those found in basins that used to hold lakes in the Nevada desert, says Mangold.

Water is thought to have filled much of Jezero crater, which has a diameter of 45 kilometres. “We believe the lake was about 35 kilometres wide and about 900 square kilometres in area,” says Mangold.

But there is still a lot we don’t know about the lake. “We know there was a river entering the crater to the west,” says Mangold. “There is no doubt that’s where the water would have come from, but it’s unclear if it came from glacial lakes upstream or was it just rain?”

We also don’t know how old it is or when it dried up, nor whether the water was fresh or salty, which could impact the types of potential life it may have sustained.

Journal reference: Science, DOI: doi/10.1126/science.abl4051

Sign up to our free Launchpad newsletter for a voyage across the galaxy and beyond, every Friday

Edelman, brb, Treble and 1 other person like this.
  13. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I remember watching a documentary years ago which showed during ice age the movement of the ice transported massive rocks over hundreds of kilometres. I wouldn't be surprised if they come up with that as a theory on Mars very soon.

I may even propose it just to get some credit. Maybe even a Nobel prize.

Prince Knut likes this.
  14. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Massive solar flare expected to hit Earth today. Northern lights might be visible as far south as in the North of England.

Not sure what your weather is like oop norf today, but would be worth looking out after sunset to see if anything occurring <ok>

Prince Knut and Treble like this.
  15. Edelman

Edelman Well-Known Member

Captain Kirk is back on the Scene so this space travel Warp speed should be no problem now !
    Dont know why they didnt just ask him in the 1st place hes been all over the Cosmos

Treble likes this.
  16. Prince Knut

Wonder if he using superglue to keep his wig on in zero gravity? :huh:

Edelman likes this.
  17. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I think you'll find he's boldly going where no hammy actor has gone before!

18. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

19. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Treble likes this.
  20. brb

brb CR250

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.