1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread MANCHESTER UTD. v WATFORD

Discussion in 'Watford' started by oldfrenchhorn, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

The thing for me is that Fernandez clearly was on his way down, almost all the way, and thus he initiated contact not Foster. There is no intent in the eyes of the law - you can't say "I was going for the ball, ref". Looked terrible on the telly at first glance but it's no different (in terms of a principle) in intent to cheat than these car gangs that slam on the breaks to initiate the car behind hitting them to obtain the whiplash money.
    For me it's stimulation, direct free kick to Watford, yellow card for Fernandez... especially after the replays. We've been properly conned in this match.

andytoprankin likes this.
  2. Scullion

Scullion Well-Known Member

I don't recall Foster getting a yellow for the "foul" on Fernandez, which in theory he should have done?

3. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

Do you know, that ‘initiation’ thing is the next big problem for the Laws to resolve, I believe. The deliberate running across the legs of a defender drives me potty. Yes, there is contact, but who initiated it? Mssrs Zaha and Wilson were the ultimate proponents of this gambit, but it has spread, and whilst VAR should easily resolve the basic ‘dive’ simulation, are the Laws cute enough, or specific enough to deal with forward-initiated simulation like that? I’m not sure they are yet. Your thoughts?

4. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

Should he? You’re not obligated to have a yellow for every foul - is this not just a foul? Going for the ball but took the player.

Markthehorn and Hornet-Fez like this.
  5. Scullion

Scullion Well-Known Member

I was thinking that Foster was the last player between Fernandez and the goal which seems to be an automatic card usually.

6. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Is there not a double jeapordy rule? i.e the penalty is the punishment ... or something like that?

Markthehorn and Hornet-Fez like this.
  7. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

Yup, but worse than all that is if he'd have ran on normally Foster wouldn't have touched him.... but Fernandez pushed the ball wide wide then threw himself over.

rudebwoy likes this.