1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Manchester Utd v Sevilla

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Matth_2014, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

This. The important qualities need to be satisfied for a new manager and they are not necessarily the same as at any top club.

1. Attractive flair football.
    2. Success: good results.
    3. Title challenge. At least a top 4
    4. Success in European football.
    5. Bring in youth talent.
    6. Personality.- unselfish, non self serving

2. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

You still dream don't you Diego?

I hated his bullcrap.I think the refs were too bloody scared of him and this gave him a team advantage.Why the refs seemed to accept this,i don't know.I guess they wanted to keep their jobs so they kept their mouths shut.
    Of course,like Real,they could buy who ever they wanted and pay them what they wanted.....this is probably why wages have gone off the board and others have joined in,like City and Chelsea.....while others may be gone by the year 2025.

My brother,like others,is a couch United fan and liked to tell how great they are/were.Usual bullcrap.......and,yes,Idid learn to read at school and collected all the football mags to read about Spurs,but for some reason beyond me ,they used to write about other teams.Why?Haven't a clue

3. bigsmithy9

By the way,I did say that I thought Ferguson was yuk.........and he should get away from United and (I'm sure) interfering with management there by being there.

I wondered, when Bill returned to Spurs,he would interfere but Keith was his own man.

4. gav81

gav81 Active Member

I agree with a lot of your list. These are the criteria I came up with for a manager, using Fergie as the template...
    • Hunger and Winning Mentality
    • Inspiration and Motivation
    • Control and Discipline
    • Fight and Aggression
    • Respect and Fear
    • Man-Management
    • High Standards
    • Opportunities to Youth
    • Exciting/Attacking football
    That'll be Keano then :1980_boogie_down:

5. bigsmithy9

.....and you haven't mentioned the main thing.....tons of money!

6. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

The most baffling one of all for me was van Gaal. I said at the time it wouldn't end well and it didn't.
    For some reason a lot were hoodwinked into thinking he was still good when he very obviously was not and was long over the hill.

I understood the appointment of Moyes and Mourinho though, although I accept Moyes was a mistake and utter failure. At the time he seemed a safe bet.

Tuesday was the begining of the end for Jose, simple as that. He's not got long left.

I don't want us to go down the big name merry go round route again so let's forget Ancellotti. We need an up and comer.

Not sure on Keane, as amusing as that would be, but I'd have no problem starting again with a management team of Giggs, Scholes and Butt for instance.

Could it be any worse?

7. gav81

gav81 Active Member

That's interesting because I was more dismayed about the appointments of Moyes and Mourinho than Van Gaal. Ok, anyone who read what the Munich supporters said about Van Gaal should have known to expect the worst, but Holland's performances at the World Cup momentarily had me hoping for more.

It would be great to get a syndicate of United legends in the backroom/coaching staff - at the least it could set an example to the current players. There's no way it could be worse than the last five years. But I don't think Giggs could raise us to our previous level, he's missing too much from the above list - especially the inspirational/motivational quality and respect/fear factor of Fergie.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  8. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

The manager has to have the respect of the players but also their willingness to give their all for him. He also has to bring them to their best form and to their best position to the benefit of the team. He has to put the team/squad above all else. All things that JM has failed on.

9. gav81

gav81 Active Member

Respect and a healthy dose of fear. Fergie had it in spades. Because of that, no player would dare give less than 100% for him.

I don't think Jose has that same quality. If a manager with no previous connection to the club, who I knew will probably be out the door soon, who has disagreeable tactics and an arrogant character got on my back, I'd likely think, "Well **** ya" and feel demotivated. I'd still play for my own pride but not for him.

Giggs has a different problem. Although respected for his achievements as a player, as a person he's too nice/quiet. Soon as he's out of earshot after a bollocking I'd be laughing, "Oooh Giggsy, probably not getting any from his sister in law."

Keane is the one with that Fergie-esque fear factor - the palpable tension when he enters the room, that slight menace behind his gaze - it's what makes players sit up and take notice, it's what makes them react to his words. He demands respect, 100% commitment and the players know in an instant what will happen if he doesn't get it - it's black and white with Keano. He's also captained United to the lot (though he plays down his achievements) and the players would accept he's asking for the same effort that he once gave to United.

He'd get the maximum from the players and then some, how it was under Fergie and should be at United.

10. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Perhaps we would be better off with Clint Eastwood or Gibbs out of NCIS?

11. gav81

gav81 Active Member

<laugh>

I don't know Gibbs but if Clint Eastwood were a footballer I might be open to it.

Diego likes this.
  12. bigsmithy9

Send for that old Wimbledon hitman,now currently "acting" in Hollywood.Remember him? He's the one that got attracted to Gazza's balls!

13. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

Poch is the only name that comes to mind

14. gav81

gav81 Active Member

It worked in Mean Machine :emoticon-0138-think

15. gav81

gav81 Active Member

Yay, we can be like Spurs :emoticon-0137-clapp

16. bigsmithy9

You would enjoy it....if we turn up on the day!!!!!

17. gav81

gav81 Active Member

Sevilla just lost to Leganes <doh>

18. bigsmithy9

Sevilla usually saves it up for cup games.

19. Style

Style 'where is the love'

Sevilla are ****, still fuming.

20. CFC: Champs £launderx17

Sevilla comfortably worst team left in competition: 30 points behind Barca