1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Manchester Utd v Liverpool

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Matth_2014, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Shwan71

Shwan71 Active Member

Solanke will shine today with out luck

2. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Aye, the only consolation is that neither do Liverpool. As bad as we've been the second half, Liverpool haven't had a single clear cut chance.

Watch them create and score one now I've said it...

3. Shwan71

Shwan71 Active Member

Sanchez better since moving left

4. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Ooo Valencia is a very luck boy there

5. Shwan71

Shwan71 Active Member

Mata was awesome defensively.. given how much he don't like it .. he was discipline

6. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Well that could have been easier but job done.

Shwan71 likes this.
  7. HRH Custard VC

HRH Custard VC National Car Park Attendant

Job done, good game 1st half, 2nd half was a bit to defensive but a win is a win.

8. Shwan71

Shwan71 Active Member

Bailly was immense
    Smalling too .. Young did great job for a player who is not a full back facing striker in form atm MO

9. Style

Style 'where is the love'

Great first half, Jose just can’t help himself but to revert to type tho. Ruined the second half for us. Good thing Liverpool didn’t have the creativity to open us up.

10. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Got away with that I reckon.

Ok, Mata could and should have put us out of sight first half but that second half was ridiculous. Why even give them the hope and opportunity when you're so dominant?

We should have come out second half to kill them off and instead handed them the initiative.

Fortunately they weren't good enough to take it.

Still, it's good to show them just how miles away from being good enough they actually are.

glazerfodder likes this.

11. DirtyFrank

DirtyFrank Well-Known Member

Well played lads. Had our number today.

Game showed why neither team is championship material. One can't break down an organised team the other goes defensive far too quick.... not so much today but the instinct is there

12. Style

Yeah I think we were lucky to win in the end. Much better first half but reverted to type for the second.

13. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

We definately weren't lucky.

It wasn't pretty, but we had the edge on them today. They basically created nothing in the game, and only scored from an own goal.

They can have as much possession as they like, but its what you do with that possession that counts.

cytrax and Christiansmith like this.
  14. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

This gives lie to the assertion to some deluded so called pundits that the RS are one of the two best sides of the premiership. They are the typical flat track bully. They will score loads against **** teams like Maribor or Porto. But the second best team in the country? Typical of the RS to never blame the ****tiness of their team but always the referee.

I have always said that JM ‘s MO was to win the match first. It is ridiculous to say that because the RS had 60% possession they dominated the match and were in control. Shows how retarded some of RS fans are. The reason why they had most of the ball WAS because they were 2-0 DOWN. Does any sane fan believe we would have had the same stats if we were 1 down or 0-0?

A match is a dynamic process, things happen and JM ‘s strength is reacting to situations. We won 2-1 and beat the RS. He was right. Everything else is just nit picking.

15. Style

They had a couple of chances from corners that could have gone in.

We could have killed that game but instead we let them back in. ****s me off.

16. Style

Anyway less of the negativity, beating Liverpool is always nice. 2nd place really should be ours now.

HRH Custard VC likes this.
  17. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Lucky in terms of the quality of the opposition rather than the actual balance of the match.

We deserved to win as VVD's header was their only decent chance of note, but we were lucky that they utterly failed to create anything decent given the time and space we gave them in the second half. No chance we'll get away with a display like that in the CL, even Sevilla might punish us if we do.

18. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree. Cannot understand those who said that JM should have had more possession in the 2nd half and more attacking. Why chase the match at 2-0? Even RS carragher told Souness off who said there should have been more attacking: “Please explain why he had to do that?”

The RS were so one dimensional it was untrue. JM was absolutely right in saying that we were in control whilst they had the possession. The possession for possession sake like LVG would play right into the RS’s hands. With their hyperactive pressing the chances of losing the ball to them is more and they usually score many of their goals that way, City learnt that the hard way.

So Kloppyflop has lost the match he himself declared as his ‘biggest’ in England <laugh> ;)

Style likes this.
  19. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

Is that down to luck that they didn't create a lot? I would say it is more down to our good play defensively.

There where a lot of standout performances from us today in defence. Ashley Young was immense, and was a challenger to Rashford for MOTM. I thought Bailly despite the own goal, played really well too, and we looked alot more assured at the back.

Matic and McTominey are a formidable pairing in midfield, and they where a real thorn in Liverpools side right throughout the game.

I know having 2 holding midfielders like that isn't always the best football to watch, but there's no doubt they are very effective, and teams will always struggle to create when faced with those 2 infront of the back 4.

It raises the questions about where Pogba fits into this team now, especially with McTominey and Matic working so well as a pairing. If we do go further in the CL, I know I'd be much more confident with those 2 together, than Pogba alongside one of them.

20. gav81

gav81 Active Member

Something unavoidable came up yesterday and I bloody well missed the match! At first I was fuming, but having seen the stats... 32% possession, 68% pass accuracy, outshot 3:1... at home... do you know, I'm not bothered I missed it. Nope, I can bask in the result alone.

Even then he managed to say something on MotD that pissed me off - talking about how we can control the game without the ball - another way of saying defensive.

So that's the trick under Jose - don't watch the 90 minutes or listen to anything he says
    please log in to view this image