1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Manchester United v Villarreal

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Chief, Sep 29, 2021.

1. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

You're making it out as though somehow Ole deserves some sort of respect for what he has accomplished... which isn't much quite frankly, based on the vast resources at his disposal.

2. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

It's because we got away with one really.

Of course I celebrated the win, was absolutely delighted. But the elephant in the room is that we were fairly inept as a team and tactically throughout.

Yes, we'd never beaten Villarreal and they are a very good team, but it was patently obvious that this hadn't been thought of and planned for. It was just eleven players thrown on the pitch, it's obvious.

I'm fairly sure you can see it to be honest, although GF clearly still doesn't!

We won though, what's not to like eh? Brilliant!

Never mind Dumbo sat in the corner.

Treble likes this.
  3. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Of course everyone knows! They are effectively intellectually lying by pretending that the elephant is indeed not in the room.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
  4. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

I would never want my team to lose. Even it would consolidate the position of a manager I’d like to go. Don’t get me wrong. I do not pretend that the team is playing at its best. But a win against an opposition that we have historically done poorly against is to be celebrated. All the negatives can wait.

5. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

It's because you only ever focus on the short term. Each and every game you make excuses and then when he get to the end of the season and achieved fck all, you wonder where it all went wrong.

Those of us that can actually see beyond an individual game, can see the trend. And the odd "get out of jail card" when we're performing abysmally is not a marker for long term success. West Ham missed a pen, we won and you probably classed that as a success. Next game the same club beat us at home and knock us out the league cup.

You put our players in the hands of Tuchel, Pep, Klopp and they'll create better football and bring success. That's not even up for questioning. There is just no getting away from that. At which point you have to face reality, Ole is simply not good enough.

cytrax likes this.
  6. Christiansmith

interestingly everything you’ve said is up for questioning, not just that statement. That’s repeated like a mantra by all the anti United pundits. With our squad….but how do we know they are Klopp’s or Pep’s or even Tuchel’s type of players. McTominay, Fred, WanBissaka, Matic, etc they could be but then it’s very possible they aren’t. You can’t be sure. These pundits like many others are just speculating, which they are entitled to.

it is ironic that I am now accused of being short term. Haha. I am always asking for people to be given yet more time. And I’m very often accused of being too patient with people who may not be good enough.

You look at the lucky wins. Fine. I’ll look at the defeats. A silly back pass from Lingard in the last few seconds of a game means we lose to Young Boys. A weird penalty kick from Fernandes in the last few seconds means a league defeat. However poor the manager is supposed to be, these cannot be blamed on the manager.

I don’t know how many times I need to say this. If he doesn’t win anything this season, he’s not good enough. I’m prepared to wait until the end of season. You’ve already made up your mind like many anti United pundits like scumbag Craig Burley. You are entitled to it as I am to mine. I as a short- termist (!!) I prefer to hold it for now and enjoy any wins that we have rather than worrying about fat Dumbo that’s sitting in the corner. <cool>

7. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Ah mate where do I begin?

I'm not talking about one or two players, I'm talking about the squad. You give Tuchel, Klopp or Pep this squad - whether they choose to play certain players or not that's their prerogative, WHOEVER they do choose to play out of the squad, they will coach and tactically deploy a team that will perform better and win more. If you genuinely believe this squad is good enough to challenge for trophies then you know that is unquestionable.

Asking people to give more time is not the same as looking at a trend ffs <laugh> If you can't see the difference between long-term optimism against long term **** performances, bloody hell. Do you honestly think we've been playing good football for the past 18 months OR even for the majority of the matches this season??? To actually ignore our ****ness over the majority of our games this season and then ask people to be patient is not the same as seeing the long-term trend or pattern here. One is hope, the other is fact.

You keep focusing on individual moments. But the game is 90 minutes long. You never ever place your focus on the performance. Do you not see that Lingard's back-pass is just one fck up in a 90 minute game where we under-performed massively. Had we been tactically set up to play to our strengths we would and should've won that game 2 or 3 nil.

It's the same with Bruno's penalty miss. We shouldn't be relying on him to score a pen at home in stoppage time to beat West Ham when we've been outclassed by them for 90 minutes. Do you not see that even if he had scored that pen, we would be just the same in our performance the next game and wouldn't be so lucky. Which is exactly what has happened in 3 of our last 4 matches <------ hence why I keep telling you to look at the long-term picture.

Bottom line is this mate. Right now you can make all the excuses you want. Come the end of the season and we've won fck all, you'll have to face the fact Ole was never good enough. We'll have wasted another season. And some of us saw it well in advance, whilst others put one man bigger than the club because they had some misguided loyalty towards him above the club.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
  8. Christiansmith

You’ve totally missed the point. Never mind. I just prefer to reserve my judgement until the end of the season, You are entitled to your views and I am sure you’ll allow me mine. I think we are just going in circles and seem to be talking but not listening to each other. I’ll leave it for now.

Good night mate. <ok>

Treble likes this.
  9. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

You’re boxing yourself into a corner like your world depends on it. The fact that other fans are very happy to stay in charge should tell you all that you need to know.

Yes, I absolutely want Ole to succeed. But my wants versus reality of Ole’s limitations that have been on display for far too long are two completely different things.

I hope things get better tactically. But I’ve seen one game all season where we were perfectly setup for the occasion - away to West Ham. I don’t care for the win against Leeds because if we can’t beat Leeds at home, then there really is no point. Same with Ronaldo’s debut game.

Anyway, we shall see! But the outcome based on historical facts is almost certain in my opinion.

Treble likes this.
  10. Christiansmith

As a United fan, absolutely what I wanted to hear.

good night mate <ok>

11. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Did you read that first line and decided to hug your pillow? lol

12. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

That's fair enough, but that judgement call was made by many at the end of last season, and he got another season, having won nothing. For me, personally, not winning the EL was the final sign that he won't kick on. Instead, he now gets another (probably/possibly wasted) season.

I agree, he at this current moment does not deserve to be sacked, but what the club should be doing right now is scouting the football world for his replacement.

Which will then take place at the end of this season, when the inevitable happens and we are trophy less but have made top four.

At that time, it will time for Ole to move on.

13. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

In the meantime of course he and the team get all the support they deserve.

cytrax, Treble and Christiansmith like this.
  14. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

By the way, if anything I've said on this proves to be incorrect at the end of the season then I'll accept I was wrong, no problem there.

And I'll hope that this is the case along the way.

I just very much doubt I will be though.

cytrax, Treble and Christiansmith like this.
  15. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Look I'll make it clear and echo the above. Nobody, but nobody wants Ole to fail. Every United fan should want him to succeed and I do 100%.

I was never one of those that wrote him off when he was appointed and my posting history proves it.

I hope I'm proved wrong. Why wouldn't I? I want us to dominate club football and win silverware. That's what it's all about.

Christiansmith likes this.
  16. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Why does this always feel like such an impossible task for the club? Is it really that hard to find a decent manager? Every other top club seem to have no such problem.

17. Christiansmith

That has been difficult since Ferguson retired. There doesn’t seem to be any plausible explanation. I’ve said it multiple times. United seems to have been a curse as far as these managers are concerned. Moyes, Van Gaal and especially Mourinho have been very good managers before coming to United. But once they were in the job, it was Midas in reverse like many players we recruited. They were generally awful but when they left they recovered some of their star quality.

18. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

There is no curse! LvG’s methods were already past it. And we all know the issues or rather drama that comes with Mourinho. We ran to Jose emotionally because City got Pep which was just dumb. We romanticized the idea of their rivalry in Spain. Therefore, the outcomes from LvG and Jose were not surprising by any stretch. Moyes was just the wrong choice to follow Sir Alex, period! He couldn’t even conduct a decent interview at the time because he was out of his depth.

So no! There were no surprising outcomes with the three managers before Ole. It was all down to poor recruiting process. Nothing metaphysical about it.

19. Christiansmith

I didn’t mean that there was anything metaphysical or out of this world about it all. Most likely the job comes with massive expectations, which are probably the highest in the world apart from Real Madrid and Barcelona. The weight is such that many good managers and players haven’t been able to cope. No one is immune even the current manager.

20. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Nope! I don’t buy it! The pressure to succeed here is no greater than many of the top European clubs. Even if higher, it’s not astronomically higher than the norm. The club is largely mismanaged by bunch of knts.