1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Manchester United v Paris St Germain

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Stan, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

This team is still a work in progress (yes even after so long) under OGS. We haven't turned a corner and become a title/trophy challenging team. The next few months will inform us. But in the meantime let's enjoy a superb and deserved victory. Made even more enjoyable for its unexpectedness. At least Tony's **** up didn't cost us a thrashing this time :)

Treble likes this.
  2. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

The clear problem is we should have turned the corner.

We've a good squad, it's the coaching that is still clearly poor. Its obvious Solskjaer knows what's needed as he's bought well, he just hasn't then managed the players well. The coaching is clearly not up to scratch as well.

I've been saying for months Tuanzebe would be a good option alongside Maguire, he only got the chance yesterday by accident and was a revelation. He'll be dropped again as soon as Maguire is fit and then go below Bailly again when he is 'fit'.

Dan James hasn't been coached. He's got the raw materials, he just hasn't been improved. Instead, he's been thrown in the first team and, when he hasn't produced, just dropped. Greenwood has now also shown signs of going a few steps backwards. It's bad management.

There are positive signs here and there but we've seen that before. I still can't help feeling a proper manager is needed for us to kick on.

Or do we just accept we're 'not bad' and see victories like last night as some big deal?

cytrax and Treble like this.
  3. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

This is spot on <ok>

4. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

On a day off today, I've just rewatched the first half.

I hope Fernandes changes his penalties tbh. Both were fcking horrible in fairness.

Smash the fcker into the top corner, he's more than capable of doing that every time.

5. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

I'm off today as well, got my two youngest with me as both their grandparents are Covid positives, so they're off all week, then into half term next week. Pain in the arse.

I agree he should change it, it's been sussed I think.

Treble likes this.
  6. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

I think the three man defence works, and that it does not need an additional 'defensive' midfielder in front of them.

Personally, I'd go with Maguire in the middle with Lindelof and Tuanzebe either side.

Telles left wing back, AWB on the right.

Midfield three would be Fred, DVDB and Fernandez.

Up front would be Cavani and Rashford.

Considering Shaw, McTominay, Pogba, Martial, Mata, Matic, James, Greenwood, Bailly, TFM, Henderson, Williams plus plenty more don't get into that side it is nonsense to say the squad is still in transition, to be perfectly honest.

cytrax likes this.
  7. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Make the most of them at this age Chief, mine sit upstairs on tablets and treat the place like a hotel.

Just done a full valet on the car. One of those jobs I hate starting because I'm a bloody perfectionist about it, but when I've finished feel like it's been done properly and looks the business. Sweat buckets mind and legs and arms killing me already.

The squad has depth especially the midfield and if we're going to compete in all competitions Ole needs to get the best out of all of them.

With Telles we finally have someone who can cross the ball accurately... on the left anyway. His corners were class as well. Fernandes does a lot of good things but his are like Giggs used to be, lofted up and gliding in without the pace. I don't think we've had a decent crosser on the right since Beckham and still don't.

cytrax likes this.
  8. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Crossing the ball into the 18 yard box has been a major lack for almost a decade now. We never replaced the overlapping runs between Neville and Beckham, Evra and Giggs. We do not have anything close to those symbiotic relationships down either flank. Consequently, the team play has become more constrainted going through the middle or straight run down the flanks without real end-products. This is why I'm not a fan of Sancho coming in (especially at the price tag). We already have too many players like him in the team and I don't think he won't solve the key problems that we have.

But then again, do we trust Martial enough to be the direct No. 9 even if you get solid crosses/passes in from the flanks? Maybe Cavani can fill that role.

9. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

The class of 92 fell into the club’s lap (and its owners). A once in a lifetime event. we had a ready made golden midfield and defence for years. And the best long standing manager in situ helped. We just added GK (remember the tribulations?) CBs and strikers (Cole sheringham, Yorke and others) and slotted them to join that core midfield.

Until we get a solid established midfield and defence we will keep struggling. The only stable position we’ve had in the last 6-7 years has been the GK.