1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Manchester United v Liverpool

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Solid_Air 2, Oct 19, 2021.

1. Darwinism

Darwinism Well-Known Member

All this worrying is not warranted. For goodness sakes we are 100% better than Atalanta. The first half shows that they are still a defensive shambles. We score 2 in the first 20 minutes as we did against Atletico and as they conceded yesterday, there is no coming back for them.

1-3 to us. Salah scoring his usual goal. No sweat.

2. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

This is Sky Sports attempting to claim OGS record is similar to Klopp's start with us. The comparison is laughable <laugh>

First season, Klopp spent £15m more, but OGS spent £155m more in the second season and another £91m more in the third! Even in our big spending season (VVD & Allison) they spend £30m more!

That's £261m more than us. The difference is more than double our net spend total of £124m over those four years!

(All net spend)

Jimmy Squarefoot likes this.
  3. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

That but isn’t true, we spent £30m more just to be pedantic but point still remains.

This picture is a month or two old as I remember Neville and carra talking about it on a Monday night football, think Nev pretty much pointed out the spend and said what an incredible job Klopp did and that’s the big difference when you compare the two sides.

Thing is as well, looks at the points and positions. We came 4th with 76 and 75 compared to ole 3rd with 66. second with 97 compared to 2nd with 74.

Ole is benefitting from the fact that spurs and arsenal have been **** since he joined or United would be struggling for top 4 with that point total.

Jimmy Squarefoot and Zanjinho like this.
  4. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

I got blinded by the +/-'s <laugh>

Yeah, point still stands. Plus, there was a clear progress with our play, it was only a matter of time before Klopp won something. Can you say that about OGS?

5. LuisDiazgamechanger

Yes he's going to win the SACK.

6. moreinjuredthanowen

spend enough and inevitably the Europa league is theirs :)

Chelsea and city will be too strong in all 3 domestic comps for utd and of course we want just the league and cl.

The clown lost the europa final so another 200mil and they are bound to win it sometime;)

7. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Ole prob super pissed Ronaldo got the winner on Wednesday. A draw would have set them up perfectly to finish 3rd… now they might somehow sneak through the group stages and have to go into the CL knockouts rather than drop down into the Europa!

8. moreinjuredthanowen

If we leave aside the banter and the absolutely hilarity of agent ole just for 5 minutes even.

Weighing the pros and cons of the guy up

Pro:
    • Team seems quite fit mostly. I think they were fitter under ole than under mourinho.
    • Has given chances to younger players (sort of) given they have europa and things like that ;)
    • Has at least increased utd points tally even if he is defensive minded
    • Signings have improved their squad consistently over his tenure. They now look like a proper team with players
    • He has got a tune out of players at half time so they must be listening.
    • he has man utd dna apparently
    Against:
    • He has overplayed and knackered players constantly. He played rashford when injured and did his back in for example. He has ended up 2 season in a row running fernandes into the ground to the point he is flogged like a donkey in a charity ad.
    • Team has zero way of playing. its reliance on the players to go do it. they have the players but no set system or style or identity.
    • Theres no great defensive plan bar two holding and they dont seem now to be defending even as a unit with the latest round of signings
    • Not sure who is actually picking the signings (bar van der beaky he hasn't really been identified as being all that resistant to a player but there are players he doesn't seem to want coming in. Beaky and cavani being 2.)
    • Doesn't really get involved. it seems to me looking on he sits there looking nervous wondering what is going on. Yes there are half time improvements, but you would wonder how they start so poorly so often and how he influences games from the side line is non existent.
    • In the end in an era where utd have city, chelsea and liverpool to compete with for trophies money alone cannot resolve their issues. LFC survive by having klopp, city have pep and money and chelsea have an ultra ultra defensive coach and a cl trophy as a result. competing with one hand tied behind your back comes to mind.

Treble likes this.
  9. moreinjuredthanowen

the lad was gushing over ronaldo after the game. Might as well have got down and licked his feet.

I do worry for the lad, europa was the one way to avoid cheslea and city and win a pot. now he will end up getting handed his head in europe.

Its not like LFC didn't play badly v atlanta when we had loads of issues. we lost 2-0 at home to hem with no robertson (sub), no vvd, no henderson, no fabinho (sub), no frimino (sub) and no trent. we all know who mixed atlanta can be but they area dangerous side so utd did well to tire them out and over run their inexperienced players.

utd's prior results set this one up as a must win game, Its not always about results though and sometimes they paper over cracks.

If This LFC side took 3 injuries in the morning. vvd being one i reckon we'd fall apart again.

10. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

They've changed the article title now; "No sign OGS is like Klopp" <doh>

11. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

Does that chart show how **** the LFC team was prior to Klopp joining vs how Ole took over a team that finished 2nd?

Zanjinho and moreinjuredthanowen like this.
  12. moreinjuredthanowen

the most important thing is to ignore the bullshit out of sky hyping the **** out of a game cos they don't have the CL/super league games and are desperate to keep relevant. they actually have a very good line up of games this weekend and the dour utd hooffest is the worst one!

Arsenal v villa are on sky tonight. No word on that one though. could be a cracker

cheslea are on the BT sports 12:30 kick off.

man city are on at the 5:30pm on sky. that could be a good game too. Brighton are decent

west sham v tottenham notsohotspurs is on sku at 2pom. thats again a competitive game between two conference sides. ;)

13. moreinjuredthanowen

Utd have 4 injuries

varane out
    Martial - a doubt but only back in training (unlike us agent ole has a track record of knackering half fit players)
    Rashford - dead leg. as above. will probably be risked
    Fred - hamstring- could be out.

It would be par for course for agent ole to start 3 half fit players against us then park the bus when 2 fall over after 15mins.

14. LuisDiazgamechanger

Jurgen Klopp was asked about Paul Scholes' comments after Manchester United's Champions League win over Atalanta. The former United midfielder said that the Liverpool boss would be rubbing his hands together at the thought of facing United after seeing their midweek performance.
    "I was watching the game and there was not one second where I was rubbing my hands together, I can say that," Klopp said. "There was no reason for it.
    "Atalanta caused United problems in the first half but even in that half, United had three clear-cut chances. Second half was a demonstration of United going for it, which can cause problems.
    "I'm preparing the team for a tough game against a really good opponent."

15. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

I'm away with the family this weekend so probably won't get to see the game #poorplanning :(

16. LuisDiazgamechanger

Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has confirmed Bruno Fernandes could be a fitness doubt for Liverpool's visit to Old Trafford on Sunday, live on Sky Sports.
    Portugal playmaker Fernandes is among several United players feeling the effects of a bruising midweek Champions League contest with Atalanta, which Solskjaer's side won 3-2 after being 2-0 down at half-time.
    "Games like Wednesday night are always going to bring knocks and bruises," Solskjaer said at his pre-match press conference on Friday

17. Gerrardsitchyear

Gerrardsitchyear Well-Known Member

2h ago12:36

Manchester United v Liverpool: Speculation abounds that Bruno Fernandes could be absent for Manchester United’s match against Liverpool at Old Trafford on Sunday after taking “a knock” during his side’s Champions League win over Atalanta on Wednesday night. We’ll hear more about the prognosis when Ole Gunnar Solskjær addresses the ladies and gentlemen of the Fourth Estate at lunchtime. But first, let’s hear from his opposite number, Herr Klopp.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...uildup-premier-league-team-news-and-more-live

18. Gerrardsitchyear

Gerrardsitchyear Well-Known Member

Cutis Jones is back in full training this afternoon.

Also

3m ago14:20

Manchester United v Liverpool: Jurgen Klopp has been asked about comparisons between Mo Salah, who many believe to be the best player in the world right now, and Cristiano Ronaldo, who Cristiano Ronaldo believes is the best player in the world right now.

“Why should we compare?” he asked. “Obviously both are world-class players. Even though Ronaldo’s left foot is not bad, I would say Mo’s left foot is probably better. Cristiano may be better in the air and his right foot is probably better. Speed-wise, both are pretty quick and desperate to score goals but I’ve never really thought about that. I’m not too interested in comparing, sorry.”​

19. moreinjuredthanowen

not a hope he is out. utd will drag him off his death bed to play this game.

There is no way agent ole goes into this game without these players.

hopefully they use all subs in the firs thalf hour replacing fernandes, rashford and matrial :)

20. LuisDiazgamechanger

Ole saying "save me job", (Ole saying) Ronaldo is going to play because he have more experiences of playing Liverpool, sadly his legs are going.