1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Manchester United v Chelsea

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Chief, Aug 10, 2019.

1. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

James is crap, Pogba can't wait for a break in play to get on social media, Maguire is as solid as a piece of wet toast and Lindelof is a penalty waiting to happen - what can possibly go wrong............

2. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

We have Rashford, Martial, now Telles if you want instead of James on the left.... not that he's played there much anyway and hasn't developed as a player since he arrived due probably to poor coaching. On the right side we have Greenwood, Mata and even Fernandes has played there recently. Pogba has his moments but yeh he's been underwhelming however we have Donny, Fred, McTominay.

Centre half I accept is a weak area but that's about it. Tuanzebe was very good against PSG but as suspected got dropped as soon as Maguire was fit. Whose decision was that?

cytrax likes this.
  3. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

The pessimism on this board is amazing. My positive prediction may turn out to be misplaced but I for one think that we could have one of our best post Fergie seasons.

Just remind me not to come here when I am feeling suicidal :(

glazerfodder and Diego like this.
  4. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I feel like we should be winning games we're drawing/losing so maybe I'm being too optimistic <whistle>

Anyway always nice to watch arsenal losing to cheer you up <laugh>

Christiansmith and Diego like this.
  5. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

TBH i wouldn't mind dropping Maguire for a while and giving Axel a run next to Lindelof.
    Maguire is too slow and cumbersome, i would even consider giving Big Tim a run or even Mengi in cup games. We need to sort the defence out once and for all not keep playing/setting up to help the them out.

6. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I reckon Maguire's problems all stem from what happened in Greece. His head's not right at the moment and he needs a break.

He may not be alright until the appeal goes through either.

7. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

True, he has been much better in the past.
    It's hard to drop the captain and still claim to fully back him though i suppose, i am just thinking of what's best for the team/club.

Treble likes this.
  8. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

If we could find a place for Tuanzebe in the back four and bench Shaw while at it, it would go a long way.

I remember a moment in particular yesterday when Bruno got the ball on the left hand side and signaling for Shaw to make a run into an open space on the upper left hand side. But Shaw just stood there statically in the upper middle of the midfield waiting for Bruno to return the ball to the middle of the park again. This is the biggest challenge and why Mourinho seem to always single out Shaw. He doesn’t have a dynamic footballing brain and is too happy to pass the ball around in the crowded area of the midfield.

Telles is a massive upgrade on Shaw but somehow Shaw seem to be one of Ole’s untouchables.

DvB also needs a solid run of games in the midfield at the expense of Pogba. He’s very sharp at pushing forward. Give him a chance and let’s see how he represents the team.

All the tools that we need are all right there but we are spoiled with choices that we can no longer tell what the first team is.

9. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

I wouldn't be too unhappy to see Shaw at left CB with Telles playing LB.
    Was Telles injured yesterday? strange he didn't make the bench if not.
    **** knows what's going on with Donny, the few minutes he's had he has looked very good and i can't believe it's a stamina/fitness issue after him playing in that Ajax team.

10. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

Sometimes the right formation and players fall into place by accident, a bit like a chef stumbling upon the right ingredients and recipe by chance. Fingers crossed.

Absolutely agree about VDB. Like Fernandez who was put straight into the starting 11, he should be starting. The delay and hesitation from Ole just creates rumours and confusion in the player himself and his team mates.

11. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

His confidence will slowly start to drain. By the time we know it, he’d become just another United player - great when the stars are aligned and inconsistent/useless when needed. That is Ole’s goal which I guess is understandable.