1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Manchester United v Brighton

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by glazerfodder, Aug 7, 2022.

1. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

Let me be the first to jinx EtH's first competitive game with a match-day thread. First up team news -

team11.jpg

2. glazerfodder

HTF are we going to line up - Sancho and Rashford up front...... a 4 - 4 - 2 ?

3. glazerfodder

here is the BBC's more sensible version -

team12.png

4. glazerfodder

That went well - someone else's turn next time around.

Chief likes this.
  5. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

What a sad case we have become! And all self inflicted wounds! Just fkin sad!!

6. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I told you all while you were getting yourself worked up about Ronaldo, to focus on what was important. THE CM POSITION.

We've done some good things in the transfer window but THE PRIORITY was that midfield general and sorry but the way we've handled that has been appalling. And yet again we're paying the price.

The biggest irony is that if De Jong had reservations about coming to United already, he will have watched that game and thought Fck No Way. That ship has saled. Time to fcking move on!!!

We can't count on Fred to control the midfield ffs. Our defence gets exposed time and again.

BUY A FCKING DECENT CM.

cytrax likes this.
  7. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

It’s all part of the same equation, Treble. Indecisiveness is rampant around here until it becomes desperation.

It is why Ronaldo selfishly destroyed whatever was left of the summer window by throwing a wrench at it. It has been a terrible distraction for the team. It just became harder to get rid of him. Indecisiveness is the reason why we can’t get players needed during negotiations until it becomes badly protracted. We are simply fkin horrible at it.

We keep making excuses that selling clubs make deals difficult for us. It is pure BS, in my opinion! Especially when you look at every other team getting business done. A completely depleted team and we think we can just wing it! Fkin inexcusable with the time we’ve had to fix this.

Fred and McTominay starting a match together yet again sums how far down the drain we are.

8. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Listen just all of you shut up about Ronaldo. He and his situation are not the fcking problem. So sorry, if your post is going to bang on about him I'm not reading it.

If you had any sense you wouldn't have done thread about him but instead done a thread about who our next CM would/should be.

It's glaringly obvious. I'm amazed nobody seems bothered about it!

Diego likes this.
  9. glazerfodder

First game of the season is all - Brighton were on it, we weren't. There are a few more weeks left of this window, let's see who comes in, who goes and then we can hopefully see the team play more in the EtH style. Early days yet but disappointing performance given how well so many of them played in the pre-season games, just goes to show.

10. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

You’re actually making it as though my thread is what is running and ruining the club. What a fkin ridiculous idea!!

Is it really that hard for you to understand the disruption that Ronaldo has caused and how that has impacted the team today?! You really think that is something that happened in a vacuum? We most likely gave up on Darwin because we were so sure Ronaldo would stay. Can you not see how it all connects? Stop being so myopic!

You are isolating microevents that are actually material to how this team performs without trying to see the bigger picture that the club is structurally messed up and all the events that we are seeing are a sum of indecisiveness at the very top..

11. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

We are decisively now desperate! This was pointed out months ago but many here acted as though it was mutiny to speak of such things when all evidence pointed to exactly this moment.

I actually feel bad for ETH in a way but I also think hee bares the blame for how the summer has gone so far.

But you are right, early days! Let’s hope that this is a wake up call and not the start of another long season. I truly fear for the worst.

12. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

No time for panic. It’s time for ACTION. Let’s be grateful that the window is still open and there is time to remedy weaknesses and problems. A false no9 doesn’t do anything for us and we’ll never try that again I hope. Fernandes and Eriksen together do not seem to work. We desperately need some sharp shooting striker. When did we last have a player to stick in our chances?

Did we not say we will give ETH a chance and make sure there are no unrealistic expectations?

13. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

PAY the £17m for De Jong OR go and buy another CM.

PAY the money for Antony because if Martial is injured and we don't want to rely on Ronaldo then we need another Striker.

AND THAT btw is bare minimum bcos atm I'm thinking we need another RB.

Enough fcking about. It's been 2 months in the transfer window and we haven't addressed the priority positions.

And I tell you what, if we don't bring these players in soon, we'll get to the end of the month having lost to Brighton, Brentford and Liverpool and we'll be in serious trouble.

Diego likes this.
  14. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

And btw this isn't about the games we're playing I'm fcked off about our insipid approach to this transfer window. Not sure whose fault it is - the board, the sporting director or the Glazers but it's been piss poor.

Diego and cytrax like this.
  15. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

I have to agree on this. Our approach has been wrong from the outset. Putting all our eggs on the DeJong basket and the resulting uncertainty for all other recruitments.

And Barcelona must be celebrating this situation. Utd are now a sitting duck.

cytrax and Treble like this.
  16. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

It was all our eggs in that basket. And that's ok IF you're actually going to get it done.

I said a month ago put a deadline on it. Then last week, I've said pay the £17m.

If we were never prepared to do either knowing the CM is THE fcking number 1 priority then WTF were we thinking <doh>

So right now, pay the £17m and get him in. And if he still doesn't want to leave Barca then go elsewhere. And IF we end up doing that then we are an embarrassment.

You want to look at HOW you go about doing business look no further than our opponents today.

Brighton knew Bissouna was leaving so they specifically bought Caicedo to prepare for his departure. And he absolutely BOSSED that midfield today.

We've known for a lot longer that Pogba (who was **** anyway) was leaving and we've sat with our thumb up our arse.

That right there is the difference <ok>

17. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

It is painful reading this.

18. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Didn't watch, was driving south through France.

As long as Scott McTominay is picked first choice to play in a premier league game for United, we are mid table at best.

The de Jong issue is an issue, it should have been sorted no doubt, but screaming I told you so on social media achieves **** all.

At the minute, the priority I would say is get behind a new manager rather than whine, or it'll all unravel. Which is the point I've tried to make all summer.

Scott McTominay is ****e. Not good enough. It is he who needs to be replaced.

All a bit desperate now and I've absolutely no ****ing idea who the alternative egg basket bloke is.

19. glazerfodder

I'm not sure from today's showing that introducing de Jong into the squad solves all our problems. There we some tactical errors today - both Sancho and Rashford were played far too wide, especially when we only had Eriksen as the target man. Shaw and Dalot were less effective as a result and both flanks were overcrowded at times with no target in the centre other than Eriksen and Bruno, and against a determined Brighton defence that was never going to work. Both Sancho and Rashford need to be cutting inside from around the 25yd mark instead of trying to do something from the goal line, that's Shaw and Dalot's job. We need a combative midfield player and a proven striker, get that sorted and I think we'll manage.

20. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Marcus Rashford is another by the way.

I didn't watch but I just know he absolutely stunk the place out.

Should be nowhere near a United shirt.