1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Manchester City vs Southampton Saturday 28.11.15 ko 3pm

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Jose Fonte baby, Nov 25, 2015.

1. AL.

AL. Well-Known Member

Players just didn't do well in the first 20 minutes. We can blame Ronald for the 'defensive' system, but if we defended well and did our jobs properly then it could've been the perfect away performance.
    The players responded very well second half -

Le Tissier’s Laces likes this.
  2. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Newcastle because they actually have some half decent players. Villa don't. So it would be more disappointing.

Only saving grace being that as they have some half decent players, they could get out of it.

3. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

The Newcastle fan resident in my house refuses to answer the question! <laugh>

fatletiss likes this.
  4. Paulpowersleftfoot

Paulpowersleftfoot Well-Known Member

Score line harsh but all down to Saints first 20 mins when they were awful as they were the better side for the rest of the game
    We needed that win

5. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

Yep. Not sure why but they were awful to start, and it had nothing to do with tactics, player choice, formation, etc. Just could not execute.

After that, team played pretty decently, which just kind of shows the game plan could have worked.

On a bright note, I though Caulker played ok today. Showed an improvement on positional awareness and discipline at least. He was in the right place as much as 80% of the time! Low bar, but you gotta start somewhere :)

Onionman likes this.
  6. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

That's nice of you to say so. Our lack of finishing let us down as much as the first 20 minutes' clown show, but at least we gave you a good game in the end. I'm not too downhearted, just a bit frustrated really.

7. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Was watching the tennis and didn't notice my website had stopped loading. Thought we were 2-1 down right until near the end, so thought we were still in with a chance. :(

8. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

1. Yoshida isn't good enough to play RB in the PL.

2. That said, today I have no issue with Ron no selecting him on the basis that one can only presume that Cedric wasn't available.

3. This week people are being criticised for using hindsight. Last time, people were being criticised for making their issues known before kick off. The people who are criticising the critics can't have it both ways.

Oh, and 4. I don't really give a monkies about today's result. It's Man City away. We played a decent second half against them, I'm moving straight onto Liverpool. (In fact, I was probably onto Liverpool before today even kicked off).

9. Le Tissier's Laces

I'm not criticising, just saying that it's hindsight. It was fairly clear what RK was trying with the initial selection, and it seemed a reasonable thing to do. Just wasn't executed well. Nobody said "that's a terrible idea" until after the event. The response from Tadic was, I suspect, a lot to do with him being frustrated at not starting. I think Ron wanted to keep it tight with a tough midfield, then try and bring on DT second half to open them up a bit. Makes sense to me, and made sense when the team was announced. Just didn't work.

10. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

Good 70 minutes, which could have been even better if Mane had chosen to pass to players in better positions, when he had their back four back-pedalling.
    Thought he was a tad greedy and playing for himself, at times.
    Will read through later.

11. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I was the only one (I think) to use the word 'hindsight' - I used it in reference to not having another RB, not picking Maya, so your comment here has no relevance this time.

It took me to be terrier like to get the question answered (and only one person answered it) of who people would have played RB today with no Cedric available

12. The Archers

The Archers Well-Known Member

I share your frustration....dreadful mistake for there opener...did the same thing 2nd half <doh>, Davis managed to cover...and you watch how he drifts out of position for their 3rd goal.

The black box churned out Martina....okay he hasn't looked great in his brief appearances but f**k it he's a RB, I would pick him....can't believe he can be any more a liability than Yoshida at RB.

Le Saint likes this.
  13. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Man that first 20 mins was ****. Even my dad who has arthritis in both knees could play better then that. But 2nd half was far better, shame it was too late.

14. Le Tissier's Laces

I do wonder how much CM was the black box, and how much it was Erwin. Suspect it may well have been a nod and a wink from the latter.

15. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I respect you for actually saying you'd pick Martina. No-one else that has moaned about he RB spot has had the bottle to say they'd do that.

16. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Martina was a Erwin suggestion.

17. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

One thing that learnt from this match is that we have to go into the game playing our way, we just cannot play deep and soak up the oppo's attacks. The game was lost in the first 20 minutes but after that we were more than a match for Citeh. Tadic is a definate starter for me, as is Clasie, I'm not as worried as others are about Maya at RB, but I suspect there will be cover brought in in Jan for that position. Happy that Pelle will be back for Liverpool, let's get our best XI on the pitch and give it a real go, as it is a great chance for silverware this year.

18. The Archers

The Archers Well-Known Member

I'm not bashing Yoshida because I think he's an able replacement CB, though Caulker was excellent when he came on today.

Just think Martina is a RB....would prefer to play a bad RB than a centre back who plays RB badly.

19. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Or Koeman doesn't rate Martina that much he puts Yoshida there.

20. Dell Boy

Dell Boy Well-Known Member

I've had similar thoughts about Mane in recent weeks, he does tend to go for glory rather than play for the benefit of the team. Great player but it must be pretty fraustration to make the runs knowing full well the final ball won't arrive?
    As for Yoshida, he's a stopper / hoofer and that's not gonna change.