1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Manager of the Season - Malky Mackay

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Leo, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Quite Possibly Raving

Quite Possibly Raving Well-Known Member

Are we all agreed Dave Jones has underperformed the most?

2. Norwayhornet

Norwayhornet Well-Known Member

I think Lambert shades it for me !

3. Quite Possibly Raving

DJ certainly should have got his squad promoted by now.

How are you lot feeling about our upcoming match?

We need revenge for you stopping our unbeaten run, hard to think it was 19 before you lot turned up! You were awesome that day and well worth the win. Hopefully you'll see a very different QPR side turn up. What's the state of the pitch like?

4. Norwayhornet

5. Norwayhornet

Feeling good about the game! though going to be a great day come what may for you lot!, How about you let us win ,and norwich and cardiff drop points!!
    You`d settle for that wouldnt you!

6. Quite Possibly Raving

Ah well, shame about the pitch!

I'd sorta take Baadiff and Norwich dropping points but I hate the fact we're limping over the line!! Would feel so much better to go out with a bang!

7. aberdeenhornet

aberdeenhornet Well-Known Member

Malky definitely not manager of the season, he's obviously got some developing to do that can only be nurtured in the environment of vicarage road. In fact I'd say hes definitely not suited to the premiership or any monied club coming knocking for him........(I actually believe he is the best manager in the champ but dont want him nicked until we've got our promotion to the champions league out of him!!! He isnt the finished article but is a good learner, watch this space 2013).....

8. Hornette_TID

Hornette_TID Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

:) i like that Aberdeen :)

9. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I stick by my original post where I put him in the top three - considering the resources he has had - but probably Lambert and maybe Jackett just shade him - definitely not Colin

10. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

That may well be exactly how you leave The Vic this weekend <laugh>

11. Norwayhornet

Oh I really want that BB:)

12. Hornette_TID

Hornette_TID Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

me too Norway, how's the praying going? ;)

13. Quite Possibly Raving

You may well be right of course, we've learnt that lesson already this year! I suspect the application will be better from us this time around, I don't think we were expecting such quality at Loftus Road and so hopefully we'll be better prepared and work harder.

Leonardo - out of interest, are you saying 'Colin' isn't up there based on your dislike of his persona? As I'm guessing you wouldn't argue with his track record...

14. wear_yellow

wear_yellow Well-Known Member

It would be churlish to say that Colin has not done a good job in sorting out a club that was in a bit of a state - but the contention is that he has had huge sums of cash to bring in players to secure those results. Players that Watford can just not consider paying the wages of....In terms of expectations, MM has overachieved considerably. So he would be in my top 3, but #1 would be Lambert, yes they also have a lot more resource, but to come up from League 1 and be very consistent just about shades it for me.

15. Quite Possibly Raving

The issue of money is a tough one though, Ched Evans cost more than all of our summer signings put together!

Our most expensive summer signing, Rob Hulse, has been a total flop, whereas Jamie Mackie (100k), Derry (free) and Clint Hill (Free) have been outstanding.

Taarabt was approx. £1m, but I doubt any other manager in the league could have turned the player of last year (selfish, petulant, frankly awful) into the player of this year (selfish, petulant, bloody brilliant)!

Tommy Smith was around the £1m mark and Paddy Keen was 750k.

I don't think any other manager in this league given £4m could do what Warnock has done. I suppose the best way to sum it up is that money is the prerequisite for success but by no means guarantees success. Leicester show that one to be true!

16. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I think Colin is an excellent manager - especially at this level - can't see him achieving what you would require in the Prem which is why there are rumours he will lose his job if you go up - just saves three months wait.

No - I rule him out because he has not had to achieve what the likes of the promoted managers have nor the difficulties of having a near bankrupt club with ownership issues etc etc. QPR have been able to buy anyone they want - they have two of our former players which shows how rich they are - so his achievement is that bit less - for me

17. Roowfc

Roowfc Member

Im not sur manager of the year but id give an honourable mention to keith millen at city- he took over in difficult circumstances, had their best player out for most of the season but has pulled bristol up to a half decent league position

18. Jsybarry

Jsybarry Well-Known Member

It's a shame that the LMA don't do divisional awards - it would be an interesting choice. Looking at the lower divisions, League 1 is definitely Gus Poyet - just for their home record at a ground that has an athletics track between the pitch and the fans. League 2 would be Graham Westley as for Stevenage to come up from the BSP to be in contention of the play-offs with 2 games left, is a major achievement.

19. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Agree with both those last two - BC looked deep in trouble but have been pulled out f it and Brighton -well total success