1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Man Utd vs Leeds - 1 & 2

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Treble, Feb 7, 2023.

1. Viva_Giggsy

Viva_Giggsy Well-Known Member

We need a better striker then that Dutch striker, need to bring back a certain striker that's been off for a year.

2. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

that’s not going to happen <ok>

3. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

As a permanent striker yes but for now Weghorst is doing exactly what he was brought in for.
    His movement is good and pulls defenders to him opening up room for other attackers, he is pretty good at getting back and helping defence when the oppo break.
    He is also on loan not the real answer to the problem we had but a decent stop gap, i for one am quite happy with him but expect a striker of true class in the summer window.

Osimhen would suit me <whistle>

4. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

I'd like to think Ten Hag has the skills to overcome this one at the wekend and turn it into a win.

He made a few selection errors; rashrod on the right, garnacho instead of Sancho beign two obvious ones. But wasn't helped by the additional absence of Antony, wan Bissaka and Martial.

We can't do much about midfiled until Casemiro is back, just got to stick with who we've got. Maybe go three at back with wing back's for Sunday though. Bring Shaw or Wan Bisakka into the back three and play Dalot or Malacia.

Clearly though, an additonal quiality CM is crucial in the summer (Rice, Bellingham, De Jong being the obvious possibles) and also a centre forward, which would now appear more likely Osimhen.

We definitley appear light in those two postions, eveything else is ok.

Diego likes this.
  5. 2020VisionofLeeds

2020VisionofLeeds Well-Known Member

I think you may find the away game easier, oddly. In any case your players will not be complacent so should win.

tbh I expected 0 points from these two games, so we are ahead of expectations, whatever happens.

Diego likes this.
  6. Christiansmith

would be more confident if Casemiro was present. I know he is a crucial cog to the midfield but I am astounded how the confidence falls off the cliff without him. Again the key thing is the start. If we concede early I see a very difficult afternoon for Utd . If it remains scoreless for the first 15-30 minutes or score first I can see us getting the points.

I said earlier nothing is won on paper . Have we learnt our lesson? We’ll have to wait and see. Can easily go either way.

7. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Well played Leeds tbf <ok>

I watched the game through SkySports New Zealand btw <laugh> but (and I'm happy to admit I was being a fickle prat at doing this) I switched it off as soon as we went 2-0 down - it was just out of sheer disgust at our defending, despite actually thinking our attacking play was good and we'd created chances in the first half. Anyway, that'll teach me!

Really not sure about the '2nd leg'. Yeh we'll be up for it, but will we have enough quality, and will we have a brainfart in defence again!

Dalot at rb was a mess btw...he clearly needs games. Fred was **** too. Sabitzer took a few mins to settle in but grew into the game so willing to give him time, but it goes to show how good Eriksen and Casemiro are together.

8. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

As I said above, the only way i'd have Dalot in the team is in a back five, as right wing back. As a flat out right back he's not a good enough defender, wan Bissaka is.

Preferably though, it would be a AWB, Varane, Martinez, Shaw back four, which would allow a front three of Antony, Rashford, Sancho.

Wegorst should be plan B, not plan A.

A midfield of Fred, Sabitzer and Fernandes should be able to get by with that more solid defence. An alternative is play Martinez as a DCM, and bring Maguire into the back four. Sabitzer wouldn't then play.

9. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Yeh I'd agree with AWB, Varane, Martinez, Shaw with Fred, Sabitzer and Fernandes in midfield.

I also think that until Casemiro comes back Garnacho should be on the bench, not the starting line up. Might seem strange to say that, but we need our strongest and most experienced players out there. He's a good impact sub atm.

10. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

11. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

2 changes.

No Martinez.

That back 4. We're fooked.

12. Christiansmith

What a huge gamble! Maguire and Shaw instead of Martinez and Varane. Dalot has not been 100% in the previous match too. Why ? The only possible reason is Barcelona!

completely incomprehensible selection as to me 3 points is more important than progression in the Europa.

FFS I cannot see us getting anything from that game. That’s 3 points down the ****ing drain <doh>

13. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

14. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

**** sake, this is the very same Harry Maguire and Luke Shaw who played every match in the world Cup recently.

They're hardly **** ffs.

Dalot is though, he's the weak link.

I'm actually quite impressed that Ten Hag wants to win in the EL, why the **** wouldn't we?

15. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Looking forward to the inevitable Dalot clanger that everyone can blame on Maguire.

16. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Rashford having one of his periodic stinkers.

17. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

I would have taken Weghorst off and kept Sancho on but we'll see.

At least Martinez on and Shaw can go back to his correct position.

18. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

The classic reverse jinx.

cytrax likes this.
  19. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

This is a tough scrap.

20. Christiansmith

<ok> hope he keeps having these stinkers

glazerfodder and cytrax like this.