1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Man United v Southampton 13th July, 8pm, Sky Sports and Pick

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by tomw24, Jul 9, 2020.

1. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

2. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I actually thought that Redders had one of those frustrating days for him. Seemed to make a lot of the wrong final decisions (assist and good shot aside). Worked hard and was a good part of the team shape. Not saying he had a bad game but frustrating one for him; went short when he could have gone on, went right when he could have gone left, etc.

excellent work rate and defensive play though and I’m being really picky with him as he can offer us so much. If I had one wish, it would be that Ralph makes him work on going in the outside when he’s on the left. He could be devastating against teams if he tried to get on the outside and cross with his left foot.

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  3. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

Redders defensive support for Bertie against the new wonder kid was excellent, the difference on our right where United were exploiting was massive. Sadly Armstrong still has some work to do on his defensive duties as KWP was having to deal with Rashford, Martial and ashaw pretty much single handed

4. fatletiss

yes, I did comment above on his defensive work.

5. fatletiss

Some great man-marking by Harry Maguire, to stop Wan-Bissaka getting a header in for our goal :)

EB0F7238-B466-4FDF-8F82-9946AE7BD4A7.jpeg

8FFA75B6-7E78-45EA-8D2F-9C1D00ED485B.jpeg

6. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

Not quite sure whether the performance last night was actually even better than the result against Man City. For the first twenty minutes we had Utd on the ropes and they did not have an answer. I think Man Utd are a team on the up and this was a terrific performance. The result was thoroughly deserved.

There are two things I would like to say. The first is how stupid due the remark about Stephens not pulling on a Saints jersey again that were made back in the autumn now sound? The other is that I think we will ultimately struggle to keep hold of Ralph. Just wondering if he is now going to prove to be out best manager since Poch. Give him the money to spend in the window and this is a team that is going places. I think we can challenge for Europe next season and don't think that this is too ridiculous a statement. The return from lockdown has seen one poor performance against Arsenal, but everything else has been pretty exceptional.

StJabbo1 likes this.
  7. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

It’s good for a football team to be disliked. Living in North London, I get sick of being told by Spurs and Arsenal fans, that they quite like Southampton; I always tell them, “you only like us because we’re not a threat”.

8. Archers Road

He’s basically comparing us to Klopp’s Liverpool there, so I’ll take that <ok>

9. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Surely it should be Oba-Time?

10. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

11. Itchen Masack

Itchen Masack Well-Known Member

Have to say since the return of football, I'm hugely impressed with Redmond. Retains possession much better, far more willing to pass, and overall better defensively.

Prior to this, seemed like he felt the need to always push forward, always take the defender on and always work a shooting opportunity.

Feel the entire team has been working hard in the downtime, leaving us much more solid and organised.

My one small gripe is, much as I love Bertrand, dont feel he has the legs for an whole match anymore.

12. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

Regarding the comments made by Neville.
    He was right that Romeu should have been red carded, but he was wrong to keep going on about it.
    Just as he was wrong to be looking for malicious intent in most of our fouls afterwards.
    The incident when Stephens’ arm brushed the side of someone’s head, in an innocuous aerial challenge, drawing a heavy sigh from him was just “commentary gamesmanship”, especially when you know that had the roles of the two players been reversed, he would have just written it off as nothing to see.
    I think it’s this inconsistency and defence of the “big clubs” that annoys me most, the “he was looking for that”, or “he went down to easily” when a small club player goes down, as against the “he was definitely caught” and “he had a right to go down” comments when his favoured team players go down.
    I think Neville was just looking to distract from the level of our performance and disguise the fact that if you get in Utd’s face, you can knock them out of their stride.

13. Archers Road

I didn’t notice Bertrand being any more leggy than the rest of the team last night? The inly way to counter a team that is technically superior than you is to work harder (and smarter). That takes a toll on anyone’s legs, especially when you’re up against Martial, Fernandez etc

SaintinNZ likes this.
  14. fatletiss

44A9F7EA-8832-451D-9DB1-BC77941FF377.jpeg

San Tejón and ChilcoSaint like this.
  15. fatletiss

I wonder if the club have managed to untangle KWP’s legs this morning? There were times last night I just felt sorry for him when Rashford was turning on the burners. He did well, but still took a couple of nutmegs and ripped for pace a few times.

I wouldn’t fancy many able to deal with that, but he stuck at it.

16. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

E
    Especially with little midfield support from Armstrong, at least Bertie gets excellent help from Redders but it was sadly lacking on our right leaving KWP bare assed a number of times being run at by Rashford, Martial and Shaw

fatletiss likes this.
  17. tiggermaster

tiggermaster Well-Known Member

Anyone who played 10 + seasons with Roy Keane has very doubtful ethical qualifications to judge others..

18. Archers Road

He’ll have learned a lot from last night

milton archer and fatletiss like this.
  19. SaintsFan86

SaintsFan86 Well-Known Member

At times last night he had to deal with Martial and Rashford single handed, I thought he did fantastic considering.

Archers Road and milton archer like this.
  20. milton archer

milton archer Well-Known Member

agreed I suppose you shouldn't factor age into the assessment of how well any particular player performed but hell I am going too. He seems a good fit to me and reminds me of the youthful Bernard (what was)