1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

MAJR's All Purpose Pompey Thoughts Thread

Discussion in 'Portsmouth' started by MAJR, Apr 18, 2014.

1. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

I wonder if KJ thinks like this. I am sure he is gearing the squad for a promotion challenge. Anything else and he would be failing himself and the team.

I can see great logic behind you views, about the need for the infrastructure to be put in place in order to survive the Championship which would be hard to survive given the "big players" there with much better facilities and greater finances, something that we hope is addressed by the Eisner regime. Time will tell, but for the present, I feel PFC could get back-to-back promotions.

Wooperts_duck likes this.
  2. MAJR

MAJR Well-Known Member

A News poll asking who the best modern midfielder at Portsmouth was has crowned Lassana Diarra: http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/f...s-decide-best-modern-era-midfielder-1-8064574 I dissagree. I never rated him, he never seemed to control games or drag the team to higher level, far as I could tell he did his job efficiently but without ever standing out, and from our Premier League days I rated Mendes and Berger higher than him. Also, I feel Merson and Prosinecki were far more important for the Pompey teams they played in and had a bigger impact on the club's history.

3. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

I agree with you regarding all the players you mention, but Diarra was brilliant inasmuch as he had a low centre of gravity, could keep possession of the ball, and his passing was exceptional. The only thing missing from his game was scoring goals.

4. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

Best modern outfield player: Mendes

Best modern goalkeeper: James

Love them both

5. EastneyPFC

EastneyPFC Well-Known Member

Missed this one - tough, as I rated Diarra - he was never as spectacular as say Pros or Mendes. He was like GON - did loads of work but rarely noticed - so I have to say I can see why he was voted for. All 4 of those I mention I rate in very high regard - but for me it's a Rizla between Mendes and Pros. And yes Jamo along with Matty Taylor probably my favourite players of the Prem years.

6. MAJR

MAJR Well-Known Member

Micheal Eisner gave an interview earlier this week in which he said that he find the culture in English Football of clubs having hair-trigger attitude towards their managers unfortunate and unhelpful because he believes the best clubs in any sport appoint a top coach they want and back him through and thin, and that he would like Kenny Jackett to stay Pompey manager for a decade. Kenny Jackett responded to that today: http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/f...d-love-to-stay-at-pompey-for-decade-1-8185852

I am completely behind the sentiment as I am somebody who believes that managerial stability is one of the most important parts of running a successful club, and that while frequent turnover of managers might have a short term positive effect in the long run it just serves to destabilize the set up as the new manager wants to change players and back-room staff and makes it impossible to build a secure base upon which a club can build for sustained future in higher league football.

7. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Let us hope the sentiments/comments of both owners and manager, mentioned above, are sincere, MAJR. Would be great to see an experienced manager like Kenny Jackett have the opportunity to remain at Fratton Park through both the good and the bad times, and be able to build a good squad of players capable of eventually gaining promotion to the Championship.

The Tornante Group appear to be a decent lot, very professional, honest and thorough. Indeed, a breath of fresh air compared to the bunch of halfwits and crooks (allegedly!) that ran us into the ground before the PST thankfully saved us.

8. SaintLapras

I wish the people on the Portsmouth News website were as reasoned as you and MAJR when it comes to Kenny Jackett. Not all of them, mind, but some of them.

9. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

There is a prat on there, Lapras, called John Ellerton who dislikes Kenny Jackett and Conor Chaplin, and keeps demanding that the manager pick his choice of players. The dozy bugger got banned from a Pompey fans group on Facebook, for verbally abusing people who disagreed with his thoughts. He behaves like a little Hitler!! :emoticon-0127-lipss

10. EastneyPFC

You always get clowns on those unfortunately - I do think you only have to look at the most successful clubs here and see they kept the faith. As long as succession planning is in place I am thoroughly behind that approach.

11. MAJR

MAJR Well-Known Member

Tornante have revealed their intentions for Fratton Park: http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/pompey/pompey-chief-reveals-fratton-park-vision-1-8188650

As a brief overview, they stress that the work wont be done overnight and there's a lot of planning to do before anything is done but they want to increase the capacity of the stadium to 30,000 while attempting to keep the atmosphere of the current ground and maintaining his historic architecture and "historic English feel". They have highlighted the potential of building additions to the Stadium in the four corners of the ground, potentially redeveloping the North Stand and the Milton End, but the 30,000 capacity is a long-term goal and they are in no rush to get there.

It sounds good but too many times in the past has there been talk of redevelopment of the stadium or a building an entirely new one and nothing getting done so while I like the ideas they have I'm not getting my hopes up that it'll happen, at least not for quite a long time.

12. SaintLapras

I personally have no qualms about moving to another stadium, a nice fancy shiny new one (but not one of those generic bowls that Southampton, Hull, Middlesborough, etc have). I don't really care about the history of the ground, I guess I'm a bit too pragmatic for that to be a major consideration but then football fans do tend to be fairly... nostalgic. Saying that I have nothing against staying at Fratton either, I just wouldn't want either option to be discounted straight away.

Anyway, I agree it'll probably be a while before anything is done.

13. EastneyPFC

A bit random but if anyone is watching Everton vs Lyon I think Lyons kit would make a great Pompey away kit.

14. MAJR

MAJR Well-Known Member

15. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

That's quite a loss for PFC, with him going to Brighton. He has been a breath of fresh air at Fratton Park, helping run the academy and coaching the reserves. Will take some replacing.

16. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Great News !!

please log in to view this image

17. EastneyPFC

Very good move after losing Enda for nought...any idea how long Matt Clarke is signed for. He'll be the next one clubs will try to pillage.

18. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Eastney, according to Wiki, Matthew Clarke signed a 3-year deal with Pompey on July 1, 2016, so all is well for at least one and a half years, thank goodness !!

EastneyPFC likes this.
  19. SaintLapras

Just to let you know, our game against Luton as apparently being streamed. If you're interested, I'll give you the link. Oh yes, I love the FA Cup.

20. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Yes please Lapras <ok>