1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

MAJR's All Purpose Pompey Thoughts Thread

Discussion in 'Portsmouth' started by MAJR, Apr 18, 2014.

1. EastneyPFC

EastneyPFC Well-Known Member

Big players but big wages....however they did bring us success and some great memories.

Wooperts_duck likes this.
  2. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Think the club should scour London because there must be an ocean of talent there that is too much to be scooped up by the PLs leading lights in that city. For every outstanding youth here on the South Coast, there must be 40 or 50 in the metropolis.

3. Singing Blue 3

Singing Blue 3 Well-Known Member

How about a Bosman team from the Seventies? Anyone want to try?<whistle>

4. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Sounds good, why don't you have a go, SB3 ?!

5. MAJR

MAJR Well-Known Member

I admit that I didn't follow football much this season. I fell out of love with the game for a bit. I'm not sure why but if I had to guess it would be because I've only really ever followed what Pompey was doing and had no interest in the wider game and I was so annoyed and bitterly dissapointed when Andy Awford lost his job that maybe I just stopped caring for a while. Whatever the case, I didn't pay much attention this season gone so I couldn't really say much about the team and it's strenghts, but what I thought I'd do is look at where the club is now and talk about where I think it should be current in a section I'm going to call;

Where We Are

Context is key.

When judging where Pompey are and where they should be in the league currently one has to take into account recent history and the dramatic financial upheavel that occured as well as the swift tumble through the ranks and revolving door of players and staff. Only once some stability was restored would we begin to recover.

I stated a while back that after we came out of administration in League Two we should have had a five year plan in place marking gradual progression back to League One. The first year or two after administration should be rebuilding, the first one simply League survival, the second safe mid-table finish, the next two should be establishing status as a top table team in the league and the last one should be promotion. All these were bare minimum expectation of what I would have considered a successful season given the context of previous seasons.

There are still two seasons to before five full seasons have passed since exiting administration so it will not be a full comparison to my expectation, but this being said, how does reality compare?

Pompey exited administration in April 2013 and appointed Guy Whittingham as the full time manager on a one year rolling contract. Whittingham signed Patrick Agyemang, Sonny Bradley, Danny East, Romain Padovani, Tom Craddock, Joe Devera, John Sullivan, Andy Barcham, Ricky Holmes, Ryan Bird, Simon Ferry, Bondz N'Gala, Marcos Painter,Therry Racon and Shaun Cooper one full time contracts and would loan in Trevor Carson and John Marquis. Transfers out were Gabor Gypres, Simon Eastwood, John Akinde, Sam Sodje, Ricardo Rocha and Liam Walker.

Pompey were favorites for promotion in their first season in League Two but did not live up to those expectations. Whittingham got off to a losing start and recorded only 4 wins before he was fired in November. His league record for the season stood at 4wins, 5 draws, 6 loses and one game abandonned.

Richie Barker was then appointed manager in December with Steve Coppell assisting him as Director of Football. He arrived highly rated from his spells at Bury and Crawley Town. He signed Nicky Shorey, Jake Jervis, Ryan Taylor, Wes Fogden and Ben Chorely on full time contracts and loaned in Daniel Alfei, Touman Diagouraga, Micheal Drennan and Rhys McCabe. Barker was to be a dissapointment and lasted only until March of the following year. His league record would read 4 wins, 8 draws, 8 losses and one game abandonned.

Andy Awford stepped up to see the season out as Caretaker Manager. Danny Hollands joined the club on loan on the same day. Awford turned the campaign around and went undefeated for the rest of that season. His league record read 5 wins, 2 draws and 0 losses

The 2013-14 season was a season of struggle where Pompey, at times, flirted with relegation it yet ended with the club finishing nine points and ten places clear of the relegation zone. For many it was a deeply dissapointing season but I felt it was only to be expected. We had to rebuild after such a dramatic collapse and this was merely the first stage. I lamented the lack of managerial stability - as I always do - yet I felt the important thing from that season was just survival, to stop the downward slide and provide a base to build upon.

Following his success as caretaker Awford was given the managers job full time. He wasted no time in recuiting new player. Danny Holland, Paul Jones, Craid Westcarr, Nigel Atangana, Micheal Poke, James Dunne and Peter Brezovan were signed full time in the summer, while Paul Robinson and Matt Tubbs were full time transfers in the winter. Loan players recuited were Alex Wynter, Miles Storey, Paul Robinson (prior to signing full time), Micheal Drennan, Marcus Bean, Matt Fish. Transfers out were Yassin Moutaoukil, Therry Racon, Ashely Harris, Jake Jervie, Marcos Painter, Phil Smith, Bondz N'Gala, John Sullivan, Simon Ferry, Sonny Bradley, Romain Padovani, Peter Brezovan, Ryan Bird, David Connolly, Ricky Holmes and Patrick Agyemang.

Awford would not have the same levels of success in 2014-15 that he had in the previous season but that was only to be expected. The season started decently enough with a draw followed by three wins but three losses followed and Pompey remained inconsistant throughout. When Awford lost his job his league record read 13 wins, 14 draws and 15 losses for the season. December and January without a win hurt him more than anything else.

Pompey ended that season safely mid-table and 16 points clear of the relegation places, fulfilling my aim for the season with ease, yet they were victim to the expectations not only of reputation but of the success achieved at the end of the previous season. I maintain, and probably always will do, that Awford had done enough to earn a shot as a second full season but I remain in the minority.

The next full time manager to be apointed was our current one, Paul Cook. He, like Barker before him, came in with a good reputation from previous clubs but has been more successfull in living up to it.

For the 2015-16 season Cook signed Kyle Bennent, Kal Naismith, Enda Stevens, Gary Roberts, Adam McGurk, Adam Barton, Christian Burgess, Micheal Doyle, Ben Tollitt, Gareth Evans, Ben Davies and Brian Murphy full time and signed Jayden Stockley, Matt Clarke, Aaron McCarey, Coalon Lavery, Mark McNulty, Ryan Fulton, Keiron Freeman, Micheal Smith, Conor Wilkinson and Ryan Allsop on loan. Transfers out were Danny East, Joe Devera, Ben Chorley, Tom Craddock, Nicky Shorey, Wes Fogden, Ryan Taylor, Craig Westcarr, Adny Barcham, Johnny Ertl and Paul Robinson.

By all accounts Pompey had a good season under Cook. Kicking off the season well with 5 wins and 4 draws the team went undefeated until the end of September. By the end of the season Cook's league record stood at 21 wins, 15 draws and 10 losses. Pompey finished sixth and earned a placed in the playoffs when they lost over two legs to Plymouth - and, on a positive note, the club went one whole season without changing the manager!

So where do we stand in relation to my expectations? About where we should be.

Two seasons of restoring stability and rebuilding - one season of survival followed by one season of mediocrity - and now one season or upper-table establishment/promotion chasing. I cant complain about where we are or the progress that had been made. My expectation remains to be back in League One after two more seasons but we shall have to wait and see whether it turns out that even I - the dour voice of lowered expectations - have been too ambitous.

Last edited: May 21, 2016
    Wooperts_duck and SaintLapras like this.
  6. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

Good post. I agree our lack of manager stability has hurt us awfully and pushed us way back on our progress towards League 1. I still maintain Awford should never have been appointed full-time despite how well he did as caretaker manager, it was only going to end one way. Whittingham should never have been appointed either, but that's understandable that the board wanted to repay his loyalty during our troubles. However, that is another example of a decision that was mead with the heart rather than the head, which I think should NEVER be the case when it comes to running a football club. A lot of people on the Portsmouth News site are saying Cook should go, I completely disagree and always thought we should keep him. People say he has no plan B and only plays one way, but could that be because of the players in question that he feels can't play that way? It takes more than two transfer windows to build a decent team, especially as the January one is a bit of a rubbish transfer window anyway and not one you really want to buy many players in unless you're desperate and/or someone good becomes available, which isn't usually the case unless some numpty like Awford sells someone like Ricky Holmes (I can't forgive him for that).

7. MAJR

MAJR Well-Known Member

I dont think Ricky Holmes ever set the world alight for us. He had a few moments of skill but largely faded into the pack. Perhaps it was a failure of management to get the best out of him but I dont think his loss weakened the team all that much at the time. Again, that might make me a minority voice.

As I have state many times previously, I am no advocate of sacking managers as I dont feel any short-term improvement will outweight the potential upheavel in the staff or players. Removing a manager will disrupt the club on-field and off and is just as likely to be detremental as if might be beneficial. I certainly would not advocate removing Cook after the successful season he had. Andy Awford had the best win/lost ratio of any manager since Redknapp and the best ratio of any manager in the history of the club over 60 games, but Paul Cook has now played the same amount of games as Awford did and has a better ratio - Awford was 20 wins, 17 draws, 18 losses while Cook's is 25 wins, 17 draws and 13 losses. There is no justification I can see to call for Cook's head.

8. EastneyPFC

Good posts MAJR & PL - I have to say that I was sorry Awfs got sacked but do feel he wasn't making the best of the squad at his disposal. I also agree that heart over head ruled for a while and that only ends in tears. I personally believe that Paul Cook's appointment was made rationally and professionally and without doubt he has made significant strides in his first season....I do wonder what some Pompey fans expect sometimes. I do think we need to be more positive at home, and go, on occasions that warrant it, with 2 or even 3 up front. However I am satisfied with where we are under PC's leadership.

I think the 5 year plan point is a sensible way of thinking but we face an expectation amongst the fans of a speedy return up the leagues. Realistically we should set the Championship as our aim - after that based on the TV deals now in place I'm not sure we'll ever financially catch the clubs in that division, don't get me wrong aim as high as you can get but I do think the reality is Championship (still the most evenly competitive division IMO).

So next season we should be looking for a top 3 finish - like it or not we are the biggest club in the Division and that brings both good and bad things with it. I don't think we need wholesale changes just maybe 3 key positions filled with quality.

Here's to next season - may it be exciting and successful.

Wooperts_duck likes this.
  9. SaintLapras

I must admit, I'm desperate to get out of League 2 as soon as possible... I can abide League 1 for a time, at least there's a few decent size clubs in our league next season. Doncaster and Blackpool.

Also, interesting how we're having this discussion about giving managers time on the day when Man U sack their manager two days after he won the FA Cup, though it was obvious he was going to be sacked long before that. Typical plastic club with glory hunting fans who have never even been to Manchester, winning the FA Cup isn't enough for that self-entitled arrogant club, and the way it was announced... the kind of lack of class you'd expect from Man U.

10. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

That first paragraph sounds a little pompous rather than Pompey with the "decent size" bit in it. There were one or two clubs as decent crowds wise as both of those you mention this season. It doesn't pay to advertise yourself as "big" because all the little people make an extra effort to take points off you. Hence why some bigger clubs spend more time in league 2 than they wanted to or anticipated. I have to agree that it isn't the best of leagues to be in though. But at least it's real and is it better to have a chance in lesser leagues of a promotion or day out at Wembley or come 15th or less annually in the premiership with eventual relegation a formality?

I read some of the other posts above with interest. I am amazed at how many players each Manager has signed for this league. In one season you signed more than we had on our books. Have to say with that sort of pulling power you do have a right to expect a bit more. I do agree with MAJR a plan which is realistic is always a good idea. Walk then run so to speak.

11. SaintLapras

Nothing against 'smaller' clubs but it''s nice to play in stadia hold 10k+ and play against teams that bring more than a 100 fans and actually create some atmosphere (Carlisle are exempt from this criticism considering how far it is from Portsmouth). You're right that there were a few decent size club in League 2 last year. Unfortunately two of them have been promoted (Oxford and Bristol Rovers) and one of them could be promoted (Plymouth).

I don't care about the Premier League but I'd love to be in the Championship again.

12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I used to dream about my club making it to the top. All I ever wanted was for it to happen once in my lifetime and I used to think I'd be content. I can't see it happening now although we nearly made it a couple of times. However, I'm not so sure I want to be there anymore except maybe to say we have and lose that biggest city never to tag. The Championship is a much better place where most clubs do stand at least a chance of something. It is never going to happen too often in the premiership although Leicester did it this time. That though is a one off and won't become the norm. Next season will be back to the usual suspects vying for the top once more. The problem I have with the Championship is that I fear it will become the same as the premier league only second tier. By that I mean because of the excessive money clubs will get in parachute payments will mean normal clubs will find it almost impossible to compete and certainly not fairly. The Championship will in time become the yoyo league for ex premiership sides who will buy their way back up again leaving the rest behind. Occasionally you will maybe get an odd fluke against the norm and somebody will do the Championship equivalent of Leicester. I do think that people might fall out of love with football altogether if it becomes too predictable.

I kind of see what you mean about attendances and atmosphere. We had a number of clubs who brought a following on a moped with a sidecar. It's very expensive now though to travel and pay for entrance to a game. That's even in league 2 because the travel bit costs as much whatever league you are in. Because our club was very very slow and crap at helping supporters with travel, i.e. by not doing anything to hire in coaches, it has cost me £189 to get 2 tickets on a train to Wembley next Monday. I had to sort transport quickly before it all went so once I'd booked tickets I went for the only option I had which was rail at the time. No time to get a rail card so it was full whack for me. If I did it regularly then I could have got £60 off that for the 2 but that is still a lot of cash for a lot of people. Even if your club has a travel club it often costs £50 a person for a day out. You have to be a real stalwart to follow some of the clubs who have little chance of ever getting to league 1 let alone further. Hence the moped and sidecar.

13. antipodean exile

antipodean exile Well-Known Member

Am genuinely pleased that your mind has been changed and you have in fact coughed up almost 200 knicker for fares alone just shows you couldn't let the opportunity pass must be something about being passionate about your club that overrides everything - hope it turns out a good and rewarding day:emoticon-0103-cool:

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I think I was always going to go if we made it that far but that I don't think the play offs are right. Accrington missed out on goals not points yet have now missed out on even Wembley to a side many points less well off. I still say you play 46 games to get promotion and that should be it. Yes of course I will be chuffed if we win next week and will shout as loud as anyone else. I will genuinely still feel sorry for Accie though. The passion for it all does override it's true. The day will probably cost me with no change out of at least £400 for the two in the end by the time you add up all the little bits you have to do. I'm lucky the money isn't a problem but I wouldn't do that every week in league 2 that's for sure. The missus would kill me if I did.

15. EastneyPFC

Greeny I think a lot of Pompey fans will hope you win. Like you I really feel for Accrington...what they achieved on their gates and resources was miraculous. Without them in the final I will be cheering on the Argyle.

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Despite the disappointment on the night a number of Pompey fans shook my hand outside the ground and wished us well in the final. I do believe it was genuine as well and if the boot had been on the other foot I think I'd have done the same the other way around. Accrington played decent football as well and as you say a little short of a miracle on their budget.

When you think about it realistically this league needs a few clubs that can command a crowd. Without them some of the clubs would suffer even more. An extra 1000 or more than norm on a gate is quite big money and to get that several times in a season a lifeline perhaps. Bit tough on the clubs that have to be here to provide it having said that. I see that in the betting Pompey are once again favourites for promotion. The bookies have no imagination have they. Who is biggest is the deciding factor and nothing else counts. Once again the smaller clubs will want to take points off you and I do believe that's why you had so many draws last season. You didn't lose the games but you dropped 2 points which cost you dear. If your manager gets it right that will stop and a good start to the season will instill the winning habit and you will crack it. I just hope he doesn't sign anyone who moves though. Small but quality is better. Enough to cover injury and suspension but not too many just kicking their heels.

17. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Ugh!! Wimbledon promoted. How I loathe Wimbledon football clubs!!!! Taking a more objective view it would have been good for Plymouth to have earned promotion as that part of the country seriously needs a club operating at a much higher level in the football work in order to maintain interest in its local team. Hard luck Plymouth. I hope ugly Wimbledon come back crashing down.

18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I'd like to think it was hard luck Pompey persons but it wasn't. We were absolutely clueless and pants today. Did not deserve anything from this game at all. Our lot should hang their heads in shame. They weren't much better but they did deserve it more than we did. I also think they might have come to the end of their promotions and will struggle next season. You could yet pass them going in opposite directions.

19. MAJR

MAJR Well-Known Member

Lauren explains why he felt his spell at Pompey was a flop: https://www.balls.ie/football/lauren-arsenal-portsmouth-redknapp/353385 and he largely puts it down to not being in the right place mentally after leaving Arsenal, but I dont blame him for the failure, he was simply part of the poor club management at the time - we signed Lauren in the first full season of Harry Redknapp's second spell in charge and we had no need of him. I always thought of him as a player signed just because of the team he'd played for before than for anything that he could actually bring to the squad - that he was signed because he came from Arsenal, not because he improved the team.

20. MAJR

MAJR Well-Known Member

At the end of the 2015-16 season I vaguely and breifly examined where Pompey were in the League in relation to my expectations of where the club should have been three full season on after coming out of administration, and here I'm going to write a continuations of that in:

Where We Are Part 2: the Revisioning

As a recap, my expectations for Pompey after the Trust took over ownership was a five year progression back to League One involving two years of stabilization - one season just trying to survive and the other a mediocre mid-table affair - two season as an established upper-league chasing the playoffs and the final season chasing the title. This, I reasoned, represented a gradual progression of minimal expectations that would see the club move up the table and be promoted back to a higher division in short order.

It turned out that my five year plan was a bit pessimistic and Pompey achieved promotion in four.

The 2016-17 season saw Paul Cook begin his second full season as manager and, just like his first, he would see the entire season out from start to finish. Transfers for this season saw incoming Matt Clarke, Danny Rose, Carl Baker, Drew Talbot, Micheal Smith, Milan Lialkovic, Tom Davies, Curtis Main, Adam Buxton (contract cancelled in the winter), Noel Hunt, Amine Linganzi, Liam O'Brien, Jamal Lowe, Nicke Kabamb and Stanley Aborah on full transfers with David Forde, Dominic Hyam, Eion Doyle and Aaron Simpson coming in on loan. Outgoing were Brian Murphy, Adam Webster, Ben Davies, Matt Tubbs, Adam McGurk, Paul Jones, Danny Hollands and Adam Barton.

Building on his success in reaching the play-offs the previous season Paul Cook lead Pompey to triumph. Though the season did not get off to the best of starts, with two draws and a loss before recording two wins for the month for August, Pompey thereafter lose only eight more games the entire season and draw only nine more times. Further, only Doncaster Rovers surpassed Pompey in goalscoring prowess and no team conceeded less. Pomepy confirmed their promotion back to League One with a 3-1 away win over Notts County on April 17th but were still considered outsiders for the title, however they were the form team and with Doncaster and Plymouth losing their form the title was on a knife edge on the final day of the season. Pompey needed to win and hope Doncaster and Plymouth lost of drew to win the title, but fate was with them and Pompey finished the season as Champions. They had only lead the table once the entire season but it was the day that it mattered.

Paul Cook's league record for this season read 26 wins, 11 draws and 9 losses taking the combined total of his two seasons in charge to 47 wins, 26 draws and 19 losses. This cemented him as one of Portsmouth's most successful ever managers. There are only 4 managers in the entire history of the club that can equal or better with win/loss ratio - Frank Brettell, Bob Blyth, Richard Bonney and Bob Jackson. However Cook was not to lead Pompey through their first campaign back in League One as he elected instead to take up the reigns at Wigan after a take-over bid by the American Micheal Eisner was accepted by the trust. His replacement, Kenny Jackett will now face that task.

Now the question is, having surpassed my previous expectations, what now should be the aims of Portsmouth Football club?

As in League Two we should have a minimal expectation for each season aimed at what would be an acceptable low mark for considering the campaign a success, and I would argue my League Two Five Year Plan should be equally applicable to League One. The minimum we should expect is survival for the first season, safe mid-table for the second, top ten/playoff contenders for the next two season after that and finally automatic promotion/title challenge the fifth season. If we achieve more than that in any of those season then it is a bonus but again this provides for a gradual progression up the league and keeps expectations grounded.

The proviso I would have is that if Micheal Eisner decides to invest significantly in the playing staff we could cut that down to a Three Year Plan by replacing survive for safe mid-table as the aim for the first season, the expected to be promoted within the next two seasons, but I am not convinced that he wants to run the club in that manner and I think he's more likely to invest in facilities, company branding and imaging, and youth player development, in which case I would stick to the Five Year Plan.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017