1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Mags embarrassing themselves yet again

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Flamin hot, Dec 31, 2020.

1. cronemeister

cronemeister Well-Known Member

Have to agree with a lot of this. I'm still in a state of disbelief over all of this if I'm honest but finally we are free from Ashley. As much as there is hatred towards him I do actually have to give credit where credit is due in that as a business he has ran NUFC extremely well and we are virtually debt free. He pumped money out of his own pocket to cover wages etc in both of our relegation seasons but in my opinion it's his own ineptness in not having a clue how to run a football club that led to that so he was only protecting his interests, that being said he didn't need to do it. From a footballing perspective he literally had no ****ing clue how to run a football club, and more importantly was not able to surround himself with people who were able to help him out on that front.

Someone has worked out that we can probably spend somewhere in the region of £200m over the next 3 years and stay within FFP. The playing side of things is a given and this changes from season to season with most clubs. The thing that gives me the most satisfaction on that front is that we will no longer be looking at loan markets, bringing in bargain basement players like ****ing Jeff Hendrick and Ryan Fraser and will be able to gradually build a squad with quality players. The biggest thing for me is what happens behind the scenes as everything should be up for review and completely overhauled from the ground up. We now have the means to do that as well as the people in charge of the club who have the will and the desire. We have a local and very successful businessman who will be involved and instrumental in the day to day running of the club alongside Amanda Staveley and if what they've previously said is true this will extend far beyond just the club. Time will tell and as with anything I will always reserve judgement until i've seen things with my own eyes....gonna be a hell of a ride, just ****ing hurry up and get back into the same league as us will ya's so we can have some derby games again man!

haslam, Robertson, Jarca and 3 others like this.
  2. rowley

rowley Well-Known Member

Anyone who stops going to the Hotch Potch , I can understand. But switching would indicate the same kind of empty shell humanoid as was seen leaping around on public streets of a Thursday afternoon.

rooch 3 likes this.
  3. Charley Farley

Charley Farley Well-Known Member

No more bacon sandwiches at St James.

Also.
    New punishments such as getting your hand chopped off for handball.
    Strict lot these Saudis. I don’t suppose they will go along with the ‘Rafa is God’ bit either.

Still, they can now buy any trophy they want.

4. Gordon Armstrong

Gordon Armstrong Just another S.A.F.C. fan
    Forum Moderator

Firstly:
    Anybody happy about this takeover by murderous people who have regularly and openly abused human rights for . . . . well forever (as well as murdering those that oppose them) should be ashamed of themselves

Secondly:
    There have obviously been a few substantial brown envelopes involved in this process, but it's happened and we should look at the positives . . . .

People are already taking notice of S.A.F.C. since KLD bought us and started the process of giving us a positive identity and a sustainable foundation from which to work and build.

Now both north east clubs (the only two that really mean anything nationally) are attracting attention with positive views about the future, which, I believe, provides a great chance of the region again becoming what for a long time it was known for . . . . the hotbed of football.

S.A.F.C. are playing catch-up as far as current status is concerned, but we're on our way and there could well be a couple of 'derby' games next season, so perhaps we should embrace this mutual opportunity to put the north east 'on the map' again :emoticon-0148-yes:

5. vinkel

vinkel Well-Known Member

Bit naughty that. especially coming from a mod.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  6. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

I wonder if they'll attract a tenth of the adverse front pages di Canio provoked ...

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
  7. Random lad

Random lad Well-Known Member

You are absolutely missing the point, by talking football matters, this is immoral, it stinks, and if these awful people tried to take over safc, I would be very , very unhappy

cronemeister likes this.
  8. In the light of recent posts on here and elsewhere,I think we,as Sunderland fans,should conduct ourselves with some dignity.
    Any criticism of the new owners of the Mags from us will undoubtedly be read by all and sundry as complete and utter envy. In the case of some of our faithful,this will be true and in the case of others,there will be genuine disquiet at the disposition of the new owners. However,it seems as though there is a groundswell of opinion building up in comment of this deal, being conducted by various politicians,organisations and others, which will express the disgust many feel in its' circumstances.
    We should keep our counsel,refrain from too much political vitriol,safe in the knowledge of our own,exceptionally promising future under our current ownership.

9. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

Well said and sums up my feelings exactly

10. Dave_39

Dave_39 Well-Known Member

we know that wont happen

mrs em likes this.

11. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

sorry like, but i am thinking this whole scheme was amanda's idea and somehow she got some rich blokes to back her, she seems to be the spokesperson at present, she also comes across as a 'katie price' type media whore and she will be loving this attention...but, she keeps talking as if any plans for the club are hers ('we' is mentioned often but so far only really her face in the frame).

all football supporters would be over the moon if some mega rich owners bought them but i feel the mags need to take a seat and see how things pan out...i also think this is the end of sid james park and somehow* this jordy nayshun will suddenly welcome a new stadium on the town moor after FFS could not find anywhere to accept it not too many years ago.

*for 'somehow', read brown envelopes and certain people having healthier bank accounts.

smithy in nl and Smug in Boots like this.
  12. Smug in Boots

I agree and, as I said yesterday, you can't blame the Mags for wanting money, success, trophies.

I've often said I wouldn't want Russian, Arab, Chinese money taking over our club ...

.... we have an identity, at long last, whereas Newcastle have money.

Very few football supporters admire and respect Man City because they know it's all slightly fake.

I'm happy with what we're doing, Sunderland isn't a glamour club and never could be, however much was spent.

The things Mags claim they treasure most will go, shiny new stadium and SJP torn down, everything cleaned up for the cameras and the long term supporters won't recognise their club. The statues will be moved and a blue plaque placed on the Strawberry about what once stood there.

13. Pontsafc

Pontsafc Active Member

Agree about the end for St. James Park but not about relocating to the Town Moor. With the Reuben brothers part of the consortium my bet is on Gosforth Park Race Course. They own it.
    This would raise some interesting transport issue.

14. Good post mate...agree 100%. You can't blame them,every fan wants it,but,it is all slightly fake. And you may well be right that their years of history will be sold and flattened and they'll end up with a grand stadium on the edge of the city....nice,but not home.
    We won't be a glamour club,but we'll be ok with our very knowledgeable and very well-heeled owners,providing attractive,attacking football for us to enjoy.
    I personally don't feel one sprig of envy...........we're now in a good place and doing ok.

15. Smug in Boots

You might be right although the Town Moor is pretty useless and the council will suck up to the Arabs when they see the shekels flying.

Riever likes this.
  16. Smug in Boots

Your sentiments might be seen, by some, as hidden jealously but I have Mag family and they're not comfortable with this.

One of them, Vera from Chopwell, was at Wembley in 1955, I doubt if she'd still go if she could afford it.

The future cost will preclude people like her I'd expect.

17. I have no hidden jealousy or envy in this matter,...indeed, my earlier posts inform my thinking on the whole thing.
    I don't have any Mag family,but I do have Mag friends,who,also,are not entirely comfortable with it. I sympathise with Vera.
    I'm from the same small area as you,and I played football away at Chopwell many times in my youth,but,despite the confrontation, went drinking with their lads afterwards at the Towneley Arms.
    Great times!
    PS: Vera wasn't the lady on the touchline with the brolly,who came onto the pitch to brae anyone who tackled her lad,was she?:emoticon-0105-wink::emoticon-0102-bigsm

18. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

Is it Arab or Israeli money... didn't think they liked each other...Riyal?

Smug in Boots likes this.
  19. Mr_B

Mr_B Well-Known Member

Any change to the town moor would also require consent from the freemen of the city. Shepherd and Hall tried to build on there many years ago and many objections were raised. I’m sure someone mentioned a while ago that the Reubens owned a fair bit of land that could potentially be used, giving them access to build on Sid James Park.

Would be a huge mistake for them to move in my opinion, as a city centre site is as good as you can get for easy fan access to pre and post drinking establishments. We were very lucky in acquiring a site nearer to the town than Roker Park. An out of town site could seriously affect crowds once the novelty wears off.

20. Blond Bombshell

Blond Bombshell Well-Known Member

So long as there's no plans for a monorail, I can sleep easy tonight :D