1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

M K Dons up next

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Spanish, Aug 19, 2021.

1. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

The two things that would make an immediate impact are to play 2 up front, Bonne & Piggot, and somehow get Leam Richardson back alongside Cook. He clearly misses his mate in the dressing room.

itfcptc and Buckyohare like this.
  2. Mike_Holmes1990

Mike_Holmes1990 Well-Known Member

Patience is understandably very thin. It still feels like the same things are happening. But the one positive I'm holding on to that gives me faith this team will get there is that we seem to be scoring goals much more often, and missing more chances. Unlike the back end of previous seasons where a shot on goal was a notable event.

Halloween is my deadline, that's how long it took for Keane but should really be before that considering what we've been promised

3. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

I remain cautiously patient til October, at least we are watching enjoyable football for 50% of the game!

4. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

I usually think the opposite but not sure why Hampy is being picked on quite so much there is quite an element of truth of what he has been saying. At the end of the day at the start of the season we were joint favourites for promotion and most fans thought we'd get promotion this season either automatically or via the playoffs (which of course is still possible) but I'm not sure what it was based on, so far Paul Cook's time as manager has been abysmal, 4 wins in 21 games in League 1, the end of last season was probably the worst I've ever seen ipswich and this season there are glaring deficiencies in the team and given the quality we have and the quality of the opposition we have played we should have done alot better.

Given all the unknowns and poor performance on the pitch I don't yet understand where all this optimism is coming from (for this season anyway).

We have recruited very well but it will take time for these players to gel and it would be foolish to expect us to put together a perfect team in 1 transfer window, I'm sure some of the players we have brought in won't work out. I've always said we should give Cook at least 3 transfer windows as long as we can see progress being made and things don't go awfully. Cook has taken a very high risk strategy and gone for revolution over evolution and its not clear yet whether it will work, it certainly was to our detriment last season but will it mean our long term future is better...this is unknown.

It's hard to see too many positives at the moment with how results have gone it's more a case of we've got a good proven manager in this division and seem to have recruited well, let's have faith in that and hold tight.

I agree with gaffer though, feel Cook really needs an assistant, someone with experience to challenge him.

In terms of the team although I didn't watch the game yesterday, to me it looks like similar mistakes, too much room for the opposition, with too many of our players out of position, with the full backs up the pitch or exposed due to no one marking the other full back or too many players up the pitch when our central midfielders have the ball in a deep position, meaning if we lose the ball it's easy for the opposition to get in on goal. Whilst we could probably get better full backs and bring in a good defensive midfielder I feel perhaps it's more tactics more than anything and maybe we need to go a little more back to basics with the full backs holding position a little more and wide players tracking their marker.

Hopefully a good week on the training pitch will sort some of these issues out and whilst I'm a big advocate of PC and what the new owners are trying to achieve I haven't felt comfortable with alot of the decisions which have been made and the results have so far been awful, my faith at the moment is ignoring all that and thinking that he knows what he's doing