1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

luv's Good News Network

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by luvgonzo, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

The big charities are just businesses however in the case of Macillan for example the nurses are an absolute god send both the "patient" and if not more so to the husband/wife/family .
    One more recent problem is the number of "charities" who now have contracts with Govt which often creates a conflict of interest imo.

Zanjinho likes this.
  2. THE FOOL

THE FOOL Well-Known Member

I dont think anybody is scoring anyone, it's more the fawning over a celebrity giving to charity than anything else that bothers me.

There are loads of footballers that set up their own foundations , especially ones from impoverished countries that do great work for the communities back home, it's great stuff, but giving 1% of your ridiculous wage and acting like your saving the world grates a bit with me.

3. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

Tbf hardly anyone knows about Common Goal so talking about fawning is a bit wide of the mark.

If everyone gave 1% of their earnings maybe we could save the world.

Like lots of things there are two sides to the argument. We're on different sides on this one and that's okay.

THE FOOL likes this.
  4. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

We're already giving an extra 1% in national insurance to support the NHS!

5. Solid_Air 2

no you're not .

6. saintKlopp

Sorry to sound cynical, but it's not the lack of money that prevents the world from being "saved" - it's the lack of will.
    There's plenty of money in the world, but priority is given to the wrong things.
    I have an ambivalence towards large charities - on the one hand I support their work, but I also think that they sometimes allow governments world-wide to abrogate their responsibilities to their own people and to the world in general.
    While 5% of the world controls 95% of its wealth and resources and use it for their own ends, no amount of charity by the rest will put it right.
    I tend to agree with Greez that donating to a local organisation whose work produces results that you can see is probably the best use of one's money.

7. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Thought it was agreed months ago?

8. Solid_Air 2

**** me you're really naive aint you <laugh>
    NI is just a tax it gets you diddly squat anymore and Pensions , NHS etc have always been paid for from the general taxation .Govts dislike "ring fencing" tax as it is a dangerous game as for example a pacifist may say i'm withholding the 3% of tax that goes on defence spending .

9. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

I know NI is pensions and tax pays for NHS etc. Cheers for telling me how to suck eggs!

Roughly a year ago, the government were discussing making NI 11% instead of 10%, the extra 1% was to support the struggling NHS. I thought this was passed?

10. johnsonsbaby

You know I only said save the world because that's what fool called it. I think every little village that gets running water and every child that gets a measles vaccine as a result of a few footballers donating a minuscule amount of their wages, is a fantastic start.

THE FOOL likes this.

11. Solid_Air 2

all that means is they had to find some way of paing for it & for some god forsaken reason they think it sounds better to raise NI rather than basic income tax presumably cos so many people think of that as the only tax. In effect the Tory party , the party supporting hard working people , decided to tax only those inemployment ,and in a certain earnings band , rather than spread the load throughout the population . For example although i have a decent pension & savings i will contribute no more under this plan as i don't pay NI .

12. THE FOOL

THE FOOL Well-Known Member

To be fair, arguing over who donations to charity are better does seem mostly pointless, on the other hand it's never stopped us before.

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  13. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

They chose NI because the threshold is lower and it's non-refundable should a person pay drop below the threshold afterwards.

14. johnsonsbaby

That's the good thing about opinions, everybody's got one.

15. Solid_Air 2

they chose to claim its NI only as their "we won't raise taxation" seems to apply only to the fairest tax of all Income tax .

Zanjinho likes this.
  16. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Woman finds her childhood book in museum

When a little girl wrote her name in hieroglyphics in a front cover, she didn't realise it would reunite her with the book decades later.

As children in Reading, England, Zoe Andrews and her sister Hannah read the English classic The Secret Garden, annotating the front cover with Hannah's name.

Eventually they outgrew the story and gave it to a local Oxfam charity shop.

Last week, when browsing in the second-hand book store of a Reading museum, Zoe, now 35, opened a copy of The Secret Garden and saw the same hieroglyphics.

The Museum of English Rural Life had recently purchased Hannah's childhood book, in order to re-sell in their own shop.

The story has sparked delight on social media, as people marvel at how the book was returned to its original owner.

"Completely bizarre and unexpected. But it feels right to have it back," Zoe said after finding the book, which she re-purchased for 50p.

"I wonder how many other kids read it over the years? I couldn't believe it when I opened it up."

"I think when things work their way back to you, they were never meant to leave you in the first place."
    Danielle Eade, who works at the museum, commented: "Zoe almost didn't tell us the story behind it. When she did, I couldn't let her leave without finding out more and asking her for a photo. It was such a lovely and heart-warming tale."

Others have shared their own stories of precious objects lost and found.

"A few years ago my girlfriend and I strolled into an antiques store while our husbands took a walk.

"Imagine my amazement when I spotted a wedding photo of my parents on the wall! It had belonged to my grandparents and my uncle disposed of "unwanted" family photos when Grandma died," wrote Twitter user Narelle Hahn-Smith.

Zoe Laura King also commented on Twitter: "I had a favourite board game as a child where you went to tube stations. My friend owned it. We decided it wasn't hard enough so we wrote new game cards.

"Home from university, off to babysit, I bought the game from a charity shop. I discovered cards in my 10 year old writing."

17. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/wor...e-reunited-with-his-dog-granted-a4267386.html

A Vietnam war veteran has had his dying wish to see his dog one last time granted.

John Vincent was forced to give up his six-year-old dog Patch for adoption when he was admitted to hospice care with limited time left to live, because he had no family living in New Mexico.

When asked by his palliative care nurse if he had any final requests, Mr Vincent asked to see Patch one last time before he was moved to a new home.

The hospital looking after Mr Vincent, Raymond G. Murphy Veterans Affairs Medical Centre, reached out to Albuquerque Animal Welfare and palliative care worker Amy Neal told the animal centre Vincent "may not have time".

Together, the hospice and animal shelter made sure Mr Vincent got his final wish.

And last Thursday, on October 17, they were able to make it happen. Patch took the trip down to the hospice and got to spend one last moment with his owner.

Patch was led into the hospital suite and, despite the medical equipment surrounding Mr Vincent, Patch was allowed onto his owner's bed to have a cuddle.

The two were pictured kissing and cuddling between plenty of back scratches.

Mr Vincent had adopted Patch from his neighbour when they had a litter of puppies so they have been together Patch's entire life. Patch spent his days riding around on his owner's motorcycle with him.

After the meeting, the animal centre posted a message on Facebook, saying: "John Vincent may not have much time left said Amy Neal, a palliative care social worker and he had only one request. Vincent wanted to see his dog one last time.

"Yesterday we were able to make their final reunion happen."

They added: "It was such a heart warming moment! They were so happy to see each other and to say their goodbyes. It was an honor to make this veteran's final wish come true.

"Patch is now back at our Westside Animal Shelter awaiting his new home. Patch already has an interested adopter."

Since the post went viral, being reported on America's major news networks, it has been confirmed that Patch has been adopted.

https://icelebritylove.com/world-ne...e-reunites-with-dog-patch-for-a-last-goodbye/

organic red and astro like this.
  18. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/mexican-villagers-planting-5-millions-trees/

These Mexican Villagers Have Been Working to Plant 5 Millions Trees To Ease the Climate Crisis

With reforestation being hailed as one of the easiest natural strategies for combatting climate change, a team of Mexican conservationists are working to plant at least 5 million trees around their village.

Over 100 plantation workers from the southeast town of Constitución have been planting native saplings across the region.

Since they first began their mission in collaboration with Plant for the Planet back in 2016, the team has planted more than 500,000 trees in the area.

Collectively, the organization has managed to plant 13.6 billion trees around the world since 2006—and they are now planting one more tree every 15 seconds.

Not only is the initiative helping to bring trees and greenery back to the region, it also provides work and income to the local workers.

organic red likes this.
  19. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/15-...hing-projects-to-protect-oceans-from-plastic/

More than 250 teen activists are being hailed for launching creative campaigns to fight plastic pollution around the world—and 15 of them have been rewarded prize money for their efforts.

Last week, Bow Seat Ocean Awareness Programs (Bow Seat) announced the winners of its Marine Debris Creative Advocacy Competition, which challenged middle and high students from around the world to design and lead creative campaigns to inspire action and reduce or prevent ocean pollution.

The students working to protect the sea—and their local watersheds—hailed from the U.S., Australia, Canada, India, Nigeria, Pitcairn, Vietnam, and elsewhere.

Team Marine, an environmental club from Santa Monica High School in California, won the Competition’s Gold award and a $5,000 prize. As part of their comprehensive top-down, bottom-up campaign, Team Marine educated 800 high school freshmen about plastic pollution and successfully lobbied the school district to pass a sustainability plan that ensures support for integrating environmental literacy and stewardship into the school curriculum.

Team Marine’s campaign culminated in a giant public art installation—made out of 600 plastic water bottles—that provided a platform for the group to educate more than 400 community members about marine debris and alternatives to single-use plastics.

“We are now even more committed to improving environmental awareness because we saw the impact our actions can have,” said Team Marine member Siri Storstein-Norgaard.

THE FOOL likes this.
  20. Milk and Kebabs

Milk and Kebabs Well-Known Member

I think I've seen that video. :emoticon-0138-think

luvgonzo likes this.