1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Luton v Sunderland Saturday 11th August - K.O. 15:00

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Gordon Armstrong, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Gordon Armstrong

Gordon Armstrong Just another S.A.F.C. fan
    Forum Moderator

As promised, this is my attempt at a match thread for sarrada, so here goes . . . .

Sunderland are back in action this weekend with a trip to Luton Town next on Jack Ross’ agenda.
    please log in to view this image

After overseeing a first opening-day win since 2009, the Black Cats boss will be hoping to see his side banish another hoodoo and pick up back-to-back victories for the first time since 2016.

Lynden Gooch was the man of the hour last time out, with the USA international heading a dramatic stoppage-time winner at the Stadium of Light. Josh Maja was also on the scoresheet and the duo are likely to lead the line once more, as Ross’ injury concerns show no signs of letting up.

Jack Ross is under no illusions about the morra's game . . . . “Saturday is another big test for us,” he said.

“Away from home there are always different challenges - it will be Luton’s first home game and they had a good record there last season. I thought that last weekend was one of the toughest home fixtures we could’ve had to start the season, and equally this weekend is one of the toughest away fixtures to start with."

“If we can come through these games with positive results, I think that from a moral perspective and from a belief perspective it should leave us in a good position.
    I am adjusting to how teams are perceiving us this season,” he continued. “Every single week is going to be a challenge, home or away."

“For us, it is about strengthening the belief in the group that if the fundamentals are there to win a game in terms of their desire, their work and their intensity out of possession, we have a chance.
    We have great quality in our group, but if we can ensure that the fundamentals are there it is up to them to then trust in their own ability to let their quality come through. If they can do that we will win more games than we lose.”

Aiden McGeady, Duncan Watmore and Charlie Wyke remain sidelined, and Jerome Sinclair has joined them in the treatment room, with the forward, who impressed last weekend, ruled out for up to six weeks because of a hamstring injury. Donald Love has also been ruled out for a month due to an ankle problem, but Reece James has returned to training, although he’s unlikely to feature this weekend. Tom Flanagan, Dylan McGeouch and Ethan Robson remain unavailable.

Luton, meanwhile, began their League One campaign with a narrow defeat at Portsmouth. Pompey’s Jamal Lowe scored the only goal of the game with 16 minutes on the clock, but the Hatters served up plenty of positives to build from and the frame of the goal denied them a deserved point on numerous occasions.

Nathan Jones’ side impressed throughout last season, with Town securing the second of three automatic promotion spots following a four-year stint in the fourth tier, and with a capacity-crowd expected at Kenilworth Road, they will provide a real test for Ross’ men.

The trip to Bedfordshire will be Sunderland’s first since 2007, with the Lads’ most-recent trip to the Kenny ending in a 3-0 League Cup defeat, but it was a trip three months earlier that lives longest in the memory, as Roy Keane’s side romped to a 5-0 win to secure the Championship title.

There will be no champagne showers regardless of the scoreline this weekend, but three points would make a good start a great one.

Tickets for the game are sold out.

Officials
    Referee : CHARLES BREAKSPEAR
    Linos : Stephen Brown and Christopher Ward
    Fourth Official : Michael Webb

This is the line-up that I think Jack'll pick, but I can't open it !
    https://www.buildlineup.com/shared/5b6d6599138c092e24abe1f5

Form . . . .
    Luton last 6
    04/08/2018 Sky Bet League One
    0 - 1 v Portsmouth (a)

05/05/2018 Sky Bet League Two
    0 - 0 v Notts County (a)

28/04/2018 Sky Bet League Two
    3 - 1 v Forest Green (h)

21/04/2018 Sky Bet League Two
    1 - 1 v Carlisle (a)

14/04/2018 Sky Bet League Two
    3 - 1 v Crewe (h)

07/04/2018 Sky Bet League Two
    3 - 0 v Yeovil (a)

Sunderland last 6
    04/08/2018 Sky Bet League One
    2 - 1 v Charlton (h)

06/05/2018 Sky Bet Championship
    3 - 0 v Wolves (h)

27/04/2018 Sky Bet Championship
    1 - 2 v Fulham (a)

21/04/2018 Sky Bet Championship
    1 - 2 v Burton Albion (h)

14/04/2018 Sky Bet Championship
    2 - 2 v Reading (a)

10/04/2018 Sky Bet Championship
    1 - 1 v Norwich (h)

Opta stats
    This will be the first meeting between Luton and Sunderland since August 2007, when then League One side Luton beat Premier League Sunderland 3-0 in a League Cup tie, thanks to goals from David Bell and a brace from Paul Furlong.
    Sunderland have won seven of their last eight meetings in all competitions against Luton, although they did lose last time out as mentioned above.
    Luton, who scored 94 league goals last season, have failed to score in their last two league matches - they last went three without a goal in the Football League in January 2016 (a run of four).
    Sunderland are looking to secure three consecutive league wins for the first time since a run of four in May 2014.
    No side won more home matches in 2017-18 in the top four tiers of English football than Luton (17, excluding play-offs).

Prutton's prediction (whoever he is)
    Sunderland weren't great in the first half against Charlton last weekend but as soon as they rallied they probably just about deserved the win. The Black Cats have an incredible squad for this level and if they can get a bit of momentum they're big favourites for promotion.
    Luton's return to League One started with a bump as they lost to Portsmouth, but they're a good side and should be in good shape to push for the top six. That said, I reckon that Sunderland will sneak a narrow victory.
    Prutton predicts: 0-1

My tuppence worth

I expect us to continue the momentum gained via Goochy coochy coo's late winner last week, and though I expect Luton to score, we'll win 3-1.

p.s. I know that this isn't as good as RTB's match threads, but it's the best that I'm able to do 'cos I'm not as computer literate as some.

2. Dorset

Dorset Well-Known Member

Nice job GA. Cheers mate :emoticon-0148-yes:

Just looked at your team selection and I would move O'Nien to McGuires position, move Gooch to O'Niens position and move McGuire to the right wing.

3. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Do you play chess Dorset as I think you got checkmate with those moves<laugh>

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  4. Burly Hurley

Burly Hurley Well-Known Member

Got to wait for the music to stop before each move Dorset :)

Dorset likes this.
  5. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

It'll be interesting to see what O'Nien is like because he's supposed to be an engine but barely touched the ball in 45 minutes last game. Think he'll be quality once he's settled in though.

clockstander and Sunderlad like this.
  6. Dorset

Dorset Well-Known Member

<laugh><laugh>

7. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

Cheers Gordon

8. Gordon Armstrong

Forum Moderator

In a musical chairs or a hokey cokey formation ?

Does Maguire play on the right wing (we don't seem to know where many of them are best suited, do we) ?

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  9. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

10. Dorset

Dorset Well-Known Member

A lot of McGuires play seemed to come down the right side against Charlton.

11. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Thanks Gordon <cheers>

Wot no poll... <laugh>

Away win 1-2

Gordon Armstrong likes this.
  12. Gordon Armstrong

Forum Moderator

Bollocks . . . . how do I do that :emoticon-0112-wonde

They're pointless anyway <whistle>

13. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Is Power eligible for tomorrow, might see him on the bench if he is.

14. master-simpson

master-simpson Well-Known Member

Will settle for a draw, but delighted with a win.

1-1 for me.

Bart

15. Sidthemackem

Sidthemackem Newcastle United 0-1 Cambridge United
    Staff Member

Blimey. I'd forgotten we're on a 3-match winning streak! Let's make it 4, eh lads?

Burly Hurley likes this.
  16. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

ROKER REPORT

FAN FOCUS: Luton Town supporter Justin fills us in before Sunderland head to Kenilworth
    To get the crack from Kenilworth Road, we had a chat with Justin Dealey of the Luton Town Fans Podcast. It’s been a dramatic few years for Luton and Justin brought us right back up to speed with the Hatters, as well as giving us his thoughts on the upcoming game.
    By RoryFallow@RoryFallow Aug 10, 2018, 4:00pm BSTSHARE
    Photo by Mark Robinson/Getty Images
    RR: A lot has gone on at Luton since we last met, to say the least! You were relegated out of the Football League but things have changed now and the club is looking much healthier after promotion back to League One. I appreciate it may be hard to be brief here but what went so wrong during those dark years of relegations?

JD: Where do I start with this one?!

The slide from a top half finish in the Championship to the conference in three years was incredibly painful. I’ve seen Luton play in five divisions and the conference years pushed my loyalty to the limit. It was dire. I kept thinking why am I doing this to myself every week. But as we know football is a drug and you can’t give it up.

In simple terms the club wasn’t run correctly. They punched well above their weight in the championship with the resources available and suddenly millions of pounds worth of players left. Players like Curtis Davies, Steve Howard, Rowan Vine, Kevin Nicholls, Kevin Foley and Carlos Edwards all left. A brilliant team became a very average team that couldn’t compete at that level.

Relegation from the Championship was followed by another relegation and an unprecedented points deduction of 30 points was handed out before a ball was even kicked in League Two because of financial irregularities and misconduct charges. The club was a complete mess and relegation to the conference was a formality.

The club’s current owners (2020) took over just before relegation to League Two and were harshly punished for the mistakes of the previous regime. Importantly, the club is now run by Lutonian’s who understand what the club means to people. Those in charge at 2020 have worked miracles to get the club back in League One and are extremely ambitious people.

Plans for the new state of the art stadium in the heart of the town centre were submitted to Luton Borough Council over two years ago and a decision on planning permission is due before the end of year. Over 11,000 people wrote to Luton Borough Council to support the plans - a UK planning record. After years of football hell - the future is looking a lot brighter.

Nathan Jones has taken Luton from the brink of League 2 relegation to a promotion back to League 1.
    RR: Back onto more positive things, what has gone so well to see you get back into League One? What are the clubs aims for this season as well? I’ve seen a few outlets giving you an outside chance of promotion to the Championship.

JD: The pressure to get out of the Conference and into League One was immense. It feels different at the moment. It’s taken a decade to get back to this level and as it’s our first season in League One - the pressure is off. No target has been said publicly by the manager but in saying that I’m sure that Nathan Jones and the players will have their eye on a play off place.

Jones and this group of players won’t be happy with just making up the numbers.

RR: Nathan Jones has taken you from the threat of being relegated out of the Football League again, to back into League One. His name always seems to be linked with Championship level jobs and he’s earning himself a great reputation at Kenilworth Road. What is it that he does so well and do you see him being another Eddie Howe type manager, making his way up through the divisions?

JD: Nathan Jones has a work ethic which is bordering on obsessive. He works all hours of the day and night to get his side right. He told me has nightmares about defeats - waking up in the middle of the night and then putting on the match videos at 3am to work out how to ensure the same mistakes don’t happen. That tells you everything you need to know - this man HATES losing.

Jones’ passion also drives on his players and fans. He also plays an attacking style of football that is great on the eye. Last year we witnessed 8-2, 7-1 and 7-0 victories.

I think he can go all the way to the top, he has all the ingredients. If Luton are in the top six and there’s a few sackings we will have to see, but he has said he would only leave if something really really special came along.

RR: Onto the game, who should us Sunderland fans be keeping an eye on in the Luton side? Any summer signings you’re feeling particularly excited about?

JD: Danny Hylton is the one to keep an eye on. We adore him and you will absolutely hate him. He is the sort of player that makes football fun. He’s a complete wind up merchant. However he’s also a fabulous footballer and has scored over 20 goals last season and the season before.

Pelly Ruddock, on his day, in midfield can be a game changer. He has the pace and skill to win any game. James Justin is also a great home grown prospect. He will without any question play in the Premier League at some point in the future.

Danny Hylton grabbed a goal against our neighbours back in January and he’ll be one to keep an eye on, on Saturday
    Photo by Mark Runnacles/Getty Images
    RR: How about Jack Ross’ squad, anyone in our dressing room you’re worried about?

JD: O’Nien is a great signing for you. He’s one to keep an eye on - a great player at this level.

Before hearing he was injured, Jerome Sinclair would have worried me because he’s on load from the lot down the road!

RR: What approach do you think Nathan Jones will take in this game and what will his starting line up be?

JD: Jones will approach this game like any other. His team will go out and attack to win the game.

I expect just the one change to the side that lost at Pompey last week. Danny Hylton was suspended and he will come straight in. Despite losing - fans were happy with the performance last weekend.

Stech in goal, Potts, Sheehan, Pearson and Justin at the back. Grant, Mccormack and Ruddock in midfield and Lee just behind a front two of Collins and a returning Hylton.

RR: Finally, can we have a score prediction please?

JD: 1-1

RTB likes this.
  17. MackemInTheMiddle

MackemInTheMiddle Well-Known Member

Cheers Gordon. As ever, be happy with a draw away and delighted if we can take all 3 points. 1 - 2

18. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

It's interesting reading the horror stories that some teams have to explain how they ended up in league one. In retrospect we didn't have it so bad.

19. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

As its their first game at home since promotion and our first away since relegation the fixture is bit more awkward than it should be, I'll be happy with a draw, but a win is not out of the question stopping them from scoring early is the key imo.

gelders pie likes this.
  20. JammySAFC

JammySAFC Well-Known Member

Power, Baldwin, and Oviedo come in for Ozturk, Love, and O’Nien.