1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread LUTON TOWN v NORWICH CITY CARABAO CUP (EFL CUP) SAT 5 SEPTEMBER 2020, 15:00 hrs

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Bure budgie, Sep 2, 2020.

?

And the winner is

Poll closed Sep 6, 2020.
  1. City

100.0%
  2. Hatters

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ThaiCanary

ThaiCanary Well-Known Member

Yeah - pulled it back immediately :smiley-finger007:

2. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

1-1 Dowell!!!!

3. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

Luton score again 2-1

4. ThaiCanary

ThaiCanary Well-Known Member

5. CitySlicker2010

CitySlicker2010 Well-Known Member

Mario V gives away a clumsy penalty. Luton 1 - 0 NCFC. Dowell equalises within minutes 1 - 1. Right, I am awake now. Now Luton 2 - 1 NCFC. So, three goals in 6 minutes.

6. RiverEndRick

2-1 McCallum nutmegged to allow the cross

7. DUNCAN DONUTS

8. DUNCAN DONUTS

12 losses in a row <doh>

9. CitySlicker2010

CitySlicker2010 Well-Known Member

Luton 3 NCFC 1 what an embarrassing exit from EFL Cup. Don’t understand why this game went ahead with so many players away on international duty. Oh well here we go.........

10. Bure budgie

Bure budgie Well-Known Member

Well,thats my Match Day effort ended.
    Next one please

11. robbieBB

robbieBB Well-Known Member

Did I say deja vue? Plus ca change .........

12. Phuketcanary

Phuketcanary Well-Known Member

Well on the bright side at least we can focus more on our promotion push now :)

RiverEndRick likes this.
  13. Newforest Yellow

It's going to be a long season

14. RiverEndRick

3-1 to Luton. Some positives but more negatives really. Only 7 first team players but Dowell's well taken goal was about the only bright spot. The loss of Klose was the main blow as his replacement, Vrančić, is no DM and it showed. Don't know why we couldn't have had Gibson on the bench. Hugill had chances but failed to take them. We managed 56% possession, 12 shots, 10 on target, 6 corners but Luton clearly wanted it more. The lack of fight back after the second goal was disappointing, as was conceding the third. McCallum doesn't look Championship standard on this showing, but perhaps he and Mumba are still adjusting. Huddersfield lost at home to Rochdale and hopefully next week will produce a better result with the rest of our players back.

15. bedfordcanary

bedfordcanary Well-Known Member

Dismal display today.

My ratings:

Barden-7 Pretty solid display. Not much he could do about any of their goals.
    Mumba-6 Not bad, but lacking any real threat going forward.
    Zimmermann- 4 We conceded 3 so hard to give much higher.
    Klose- 4 As above. Doesn't look comfortable on the ball and went off injured. Think he might be done unfortunately.
    McCallum- 2 Dreadful display. Constantly out of position, gave the ball away quite lot and was nutmegged in the lead up to one of their goals.
    Tettey-6 Relatively solid display, but he is very limited.
    Rupp-4 Very poor. Not sure what he brings. Would rather have Trybull tbh.
    Martin-6 Not bad, but didn't really threaten. Could have shot a couple of times but chose to take the safe option.
    Stiepermann-4 Looked as poor as he did all last season. Weak on the ball and never really looked like unlocking their defence.
    Dowell-7 The only outfield player who looked half decent. Good goal, but down by those around him.
    Hugill-5 No real service, but didn't look like a £5m player. Sloppy and slow in possession and gave it away a couple of times. Would have been lower rated, but much of his ineffectiveness came about because of the poor play around him.

Vrancic-6
    Gave away a sloppy pen, but we looked much more likely to score with him on the pitch. Played some tidy passes and wanted to pass forwards which was a nice change of pace!
    Hernandez-6 Direct, but nothing major. Came on too late. Probably needed to start.
    Sitti- Not really enough time to rate.

I know we had a lot of players missing, but most of those on show today did not fill me with any confidence. Shame, it was a chance for them to step up and stake a claim for a starting spot.

DHCanary likes this.
  16. GozoCanary

GozoCanary Well-Known Member

Neil took us up and down, but he didn't oversee the abject embarassment of 21 points in a season and twelve consecutive defeats. And he managed to almost keep us up without Pukki, Buendia, Aarons, Lewis, Godfrey and Cantwell. He didn't have Webber and a batch of talented youth players coming through to make him look better than he was. Judging by what he has since done at Preston, Neil is a capable manager.

I know some people on here will attack me for saying this, but I'm not at all optimistic about this season. I think we are going to be this year's Huddersfield and Farke will be sacked around Christmas. (I'm happy to come on here and eat humble pie if I'm wrong - to be honest, I'd love to.) If we're lucky we'll survive, but we'll be back at square one. What an utter waste of a golden opportunity.

17. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

It’s as good a prediction as any. I was a big Neil fan and still rate him.

The thing with Farke, though, is he undoubtedly gets us playing good football. And frankly, given the money-obsessed state of the game and the impossibility of winning anything meaningful, that does actually mean a lot to me.

The only thing I would say is that Neil was financially backed in the PL more than Farke. And I still think Covid was what relegated us.

18. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

First time NCFC have had two 18 year olds in their starting lineup in 12 years, and realistically only Dowell and maybe Zimmerman stand a chance of starting next weekend. It was essentially a pre-season game, but still disappointing.

From what I've read (didn't watch the game), McCallum being repeatedly caught out of position down the left, and being culpable for two goals as a result, is a worry. Quintilla better be defensively solid, with Lewis seemingly moving on.

Sounds like Dowell and Mumba were really the only bright spots today.

19. GozoCanary

GozoCanary Well-Known Member

You may be right that Covid helped to relegate us because we were woeful after the restart. I know from other comments of yours that you feel the empty grounds cost us more than other teams because of the loss of our fan base at matches. It was always a very tough call to survive after our injury problems over most of the season, but maybe Covid was the final straw.

The problem is that it's hard to come back from what has happened without some kind of dramatic new sweep. Even if we manage to keep most of the players who took us up, I doubt they will have the same fight and desire, or, more importantly, the same belief in Farke. They've done it before and they're aware that moving on is a possibility. Also, for me, the number of new players looks confusing rather than having any clear focus. What are we going to do with them? And if we use them, what are we going to do with the old players that we don't use? It doesn't seem like a recipe for a united camp.

I also suspect - without any evidence, I admit - that there are problems behind the scenes between Farke and some of the players. Leitner is well publicised - what a waste of a fantastic player compared to the utterly mediocre Rupp - but probably others (Vrançic?) can't be happy either.

I'm one of the few on here who are on board, generally speaking, with what Robbie is saying. I feel there is an inconsistency in Farke's approach. He wants a Barcelona-type possession game, but he doesn't seem to trust the players who could deliver that kind of game. So we have spent a season in a sort of in-between approach of a spearhead (Pukki) whose game depends on intelligent movement but we use attacking wing backs who might benefit more from a big target man upfront. In my opinion, Pukki needs someone like Leitner or Vrançic who can play perfect through balls, such as the ball in the Tottenham game that led to the VAR-disallowed goal, not crosses from the wing. (But I'm stupid on tactics and maybe I'm talking rubbish here?)

What I feel I do generally understand is the psychology, and it looks bad to me. Team sports are about something which is more than the sum of the individuals in the team and to me it just feels deeply wrong at the moment.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
    Bure budgie and CitySlicker2010 like this.
  20. bedfordcanary

bedfordcanary Well-Known Member

Barden didn't look out of place. A small blip before the 3rd, but looked assured for the most part. Mumba was OK, but was a little hesitant going forward. Needs to be more direct imo. I guess being his first game, he didn't want to do a McCallum and get caugh out of position.

DHCanary likes this.