1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Luton horror show

Discussion in 'Shrewsbury' started by greenhousmeadowman, Feb 3, 2019.

1. greenhousmeadowman

greenhousmeadowman Well-Known Member

We were well in the game first half and Docherty should have done better with our best chance. Then we had a terrible defensive blunder from Sadler and Waterfall who could not deal with a simple high ball into the box. The second half was an absolute horror show with the leaden-footed Arnold taken by surprise and flapping weakly at a cross and then our dreadful centre-backs again not able to deal with a straightforward situation in the box. We never found out how good Luton are as they barely had to break sweat we were so inept. There is something dreadfully wrong with our team at the moment - we are so badly organised with the full backs completely exposed and have key players making several individual blunders every game.
    I am going to Wolves but fear the worst unless they play lots of their young lads. More importantly we look odds on to throw everything from last season away and to return to League 2. Roland and Caldwell must take the blame for two consecutive managerial appointments that have been very poor. I have some sympathy for Ricketts because of the poor situation he came into and he may make a decent manager one day but the evidence of our eyes tells us that he is worse than Askey was. I am sorry to say our players are not working hard enough and are playing in the wrong formation with no leaders on the pitch. Perhaps Caldwell could swallow his pride and ask Hurst if he wants to come back - we need a manager that can get the players fit and organise and motivate them.

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  2. Matster

Matster Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The first half went well as you say. Then it all went awry. The first goal was unchallenged all down the wing, even before it hit the defensive issue of Sadler and Waterfall.

The second goal was a fluke punted cross come goal that came from a player shoving the lion player to get a free kick, and the third was a complete defensive shambles by about five players and not just Coleman.

The Wolves game is going to be a drubbing if we set up the team badly. Sadler can't play and I also think Grant is banned too. We can't start the latest batch of players who've joined as they weren't available for the last FA cup game.

I think next Saturday will see some changes in the squad with Waterfall (or dare I say Sadler) dropped with Beckles and the man u lad coming in.

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  3. greenhousmeadowman

greenhousmeadowman Well-Known Member

I was sitting right in line with their player whose cross went in for the second goal and the only fluke was the fact it went in the top corner - Arnold was really slow to react and then did not appear to jump - rank bad goalkeeping. I agree with you about Tuesday, with Grant and Sadler suspended we are going to struggle to put out anything but a scratch side. We need either Haynes or Beckles fit to play left back. If both are fit then Beckles can take over from Sadler. If neither are fit Vancelot has played at centre-back (though he will probably replace Grant at centre-mid) or we could bring in Sears at right back and play Bolton in the middle. As an emergency measure I also believe that Holloway has played at centreback. Surely Laurent must start as we badly missed his workrate from the start on Saturday.
    As for the league I think we should ditch this stupid diamond formation and play a simple basic 4-4-2 with Whalley and possibly Campbell on the wings with Docherty pushed up supporting Fejiri. I would play Grant and Laurent as central midfielders and tell the wingers to work hard to protect the full backs (though Whalley is good at that anyway). I think Sadler need a rest and would play Waterfall with whoever of Beckles or Williams plays better with him. I would also drop Arnold and play whichever of the other two keepers is most impressive in training.

Zenfootball2 and Matster like this.
  4. Zenfootball2

Zenfootball2 Active Member

we should dump the route one rubbish it is predictable and easy to defend against and does not work. Luton kept on the ground played played the ball in triangles , good off the ball movement ,were patient waiting for the opening, the defence was shambolic and embarrassing . dead full goalkeeping error.
    amongs all of this there midfield general number 4 was left in acres of room ritually unchallenged all game,which summed up the lack of tactics by a manger who is out of his depth.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    Matster likes this.
  5. Matster

Matster Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Long ball should never be plan A and only used to add variety within the game as a quick counter if play suits. We play so much better on the ground and have brought in managers to play like that for years, yet we seem to end up doing long ball when play is against us.

Zenfootball2 likes this.