1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Lukaku Chant: Racist or not?

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Warmir Pouchov, Sep 20, 2017.

1. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Just bought a house in Berkshire if that will do.

Warmir Pouchov likes this.
  2. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

<laugh>

And you lot are having a go at me about prawn sandwiches. This Manc is buying houses close to London in leafy suburbs!

JakartaToon likes this.
  3. Joelinton's Right Foot

Joelinton's Right Foot Worth Every Penny
    Forum Moderator

Oh.

Thinking about it, that must be why people tell me I'm a handy person to have around :(

4. Warmir Pouchov

<laugh>

We're all handy mate. I'd be considered ambidextrous :bandit:

5. Joelinton's Right Foot

Joelinton's Right Foot Worth Every Penny
    Forum Moderator

I think I must be bambidextrous.

Everytime I get caught people say "oh dear"

6. G4rdToonArmy

G4rdToonArmy Well-Known Member

HEY! Whats wrong with Surrey? O.k. we have a **** accent and can't handle our booze apart from that we aren't tooooo bad!

Tea and crumpets anyone? Tallyho and Toodle-pip x

7. Warmir Pouchov

8. TheJudeanPeoplesFront

TheJudeanPeoplesFront Well-Known Member

Well this is physiologically incorrect and pretty weak as an argument. Humans have the largest member of the hominids, due to our upright posture supposedly to attract females... Therefore inferring someone has a big cock is actually suggesting they are more human...
    Surely, if anything, it undermines the previous ignorance, rather than reverts to it.

Anyway, anyone calling this particular chant, out of all the things football fans do, "childish", is being utterly ridiculous. People ****ing cry when 11 people wearing "their" colour shirt loses a cup final <laugh>

9. Dorty Dogbreath

Dorty Dogbreath keeper of the glow

Chilidish and quite frankly, singing about another bloke's knob is cringeworthy and just not on :police:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  10. Heed

Heed well known cheat

It's just as well we don't do childish and cringeworthy chants isn't it.....

11. Dorty Dogbreath

Aye but if we did...this one might be one of the most childish and cringeworthy of them all! I can't imagine anyone over the age of 15 singing it, its that childish. In fact, it is that childish it makes other childish things within the game seem positively grown up.

It is a fairly sshit song in truth. I don't think it would have had much mileage anyway, banned or not.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  12. QWOP

QWOP Well-Known Member

Racism is all about context. Nothing more, nothing less. Given that they call him a genius, I'm going to suggest the chant was of good intentions.

The history of the whole "black men have big dicks" is grim though!

GeordieHalfbreed likes this.
  13. G4rdToonArmy

G4rdToonArmy Well-Known Member

Anyone see this one yesterday?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-41337127

****ing absolutely pathetic and ridiculous, people need to get over themselves! Moaning about a chant about the color of the shirts is beyond madness. Surely on this basis we should be commended for having the most inclusive chant going. Toon Toon Black And White Army!

Heed likes this.
  14. Charlie Dogscock

Charlie Dogscock Well-Known Member

15. Warmir Pouchov

Personally I think its him just defusing the situation actually as it was posted on his personal twitter page. The club may well have had input as they may see the same issues. I think he is basically repeating what Theresa Bae is saying. Its not really racist because the intent was genuine, but given the very obvious racial connotations its probably not appropriate. As I say, very well dealt with.

16. Charlie Dogscock

Charlie Dogscock Well-Known Member

Just some carefully selected words from the club/agent to appease the holier than thou twats jumping at the chance to start waving the racism card.

He probably laughed at the chant when he heard it.

17. Warmir Pouchov

Its nothing to do with PC. Its to do with racial stereotyping - which should be consigned to the past. Its not something to get all Kick it Out about (they are seriously over zealous), but it is something to educate and address probably.

I would not sing a song that suggested because a player was jewish, he was tight with money. I would not sing a song that suggested because a player was Asian, he was good at maths. Whether negative or positive, I really can't see any justification/need for racial stereotyping.

Lukaku has stated his stance, which is he doesn't think it should be sung - I think we should take his statement at face value rather than suspecting some conspiracy by Man U?

He may even have laughed originally or among teammates. However whether of his own accord, or someone making him aware, he has decided that he needs to put something out there. He clearly does not find it particularly offensive. He is smart enough to know fans/people in general will do/say things with the best intentions, without actually considering the full impact of it. I don't think its something for anyone to get their knickers in a twist about but equally I don't think just continuing on blindly is the way either.

I'll argue to the end of time about people being overly PC or getting over the top aggressive about situations like the above.I've had it myself using the phrase "call a spade a spade". The historical reference of that was nothing to do with black people. Nor was it intended that way when I used it. I used the phrase "Brainstorm" once in a team meeting in a previous role, and was reprimanded for being offensive to epileptic people (no I'm not joking). I also don't actually think the likes of the Society of Black Lawyers or Kick it Out always do a great deal of good in these scenarios. By all means raise it as a potential issue to be discussed, but there is normally an aggressive stance which accompanies it which results in some unsavoury reactions.

I just think if we can consign racial stereotyping to the past, its probably not a bad thing.

18. Dorty Dogbreath

Come on fellas, ain't it time to let go of Romelu Lukaku's cok? :emoticon-0126-nerd:

RobEllious and Warmir Pouchov like this.
  19. Fork Handles

Fork Handles Well-Known Member

Better than the NE I bet!

20. RobEllious

RobEllious Well-Known Member

But by our own human nature, is it really possible? We stereotype all the time so where do we draw the line? Remember living in Portsmouth and for some reason people at work decided that, as I'm from Yorkshire, I must be a farmer and therefore repeated everything I said in an accent that is closer to Bristolian. Now it was a **** joke, from some **** minds, however it was not offensive- just ****. Regardless, it used to piss me off endlessly. Do people really need educating on this? I see the song in the same way, **** joke that offends nobody.
    To me the whole "issue" definitely won't stop at race. It annoys me, for example, that we can take the absolute piss out of someone being ginger, but get in a boo when skin colour is used to determine a difference. How do they think some gingers have felt going through school? The ones we had were bullied relentlessly.
    To me the song in question was a joke, fans don't genuinely think he has a 22 inch dong because he's black, if anything it mocks stereotypes.
    I get your point but I think, providing we continue using education to eradicate genuine racism, then all stereotypes should eventually be harmless as the true indicator is the meaning/context. If we instead highlight every stereotype out there we could go down a ridiculous path that, really, just leaves everyone fearful of offending everyone. As you say yourself, you've done it twice yet the meaning was innocent and you were judged for it, that's not fair either. As long as we teach people about not hating others on pathetic reasons, as opposed to holding up every phrase preceding 1970 as prejudice stereotyping, then we can move forward as one.
    Of course I'm talking **** cos not one bit of this will happen, instead in a decade you'll be castigated for taking the piss out of someone for wearing bright yellow trainers.

And you ****ing should that's an awful colour

BobbyD likes this.