1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Lower teams getting better, or top teams not as good?

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by blackcatsteve, Jan 6, 2012.

1. blackcatsteve

blackcatsteve Well-Known Member

This was posted on the Arsenal board, went to reply but a mod closed it as some were getting into silly arguments, but as my reply took me 10 minutes to write, I dont want to waste it, so going to start it off here instead.

OP

my reply:

Back the the OP, I really think its the 25 man squad rule that is closing the gap, the big clubs cant take a risk on a player these days just incase it doesnt work out, and thats why young English players are going for a premium as well.

A few years ago the big clubs would have snapped up Sess, Cabaye, Tiote to name just 3, but as they were not world class (very good but not world class) its a hell of a risk for them to buy them.

This gives the likes of Sunderland and Newcastle, who lets be honest, have not exactly been very good in recent years, the chance to get these players, because they can take a chance on them, because they are better than what they currently have, which in turn, makes these clubs better (hopefully but its looking that way).

Then the big clubs see them playing in the PL and more importantly doing the business in the PL, so then they can take a punt on them, as they know they can hack it, but they have to pay silly money for them, or a lot more than the likes of Sunderland/Newcastle did to sign them in the first place.

But then with that cash, Sunderland/Newcastle can go and get the next lot of Good players, and hopefully they catch the attention.

I hope i am wrong, but i can still see City, Man U, Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool, Arsenal being the top 6 for many years to come (the odd season someone else may sneak in, but it will be hard to maintain it), and everyone else playing catchup, but i do think the gap is closing every year, points wise (it just depends on this FFP crap in the future)

2. safc1978

safc1978 Well-Known Member

Good post Steve

I agree with you the rules are changing all the time giving the likes of us & newcastle a chance of getting better players.
    The more rules change the harder it gets just like having to name so many british players in the 25 man squads thats why we got 20m for Henderson & Newcastle got
    35m for carroll.
    Young british talent is much more expensive than say a young South American the down side is for example Sunderland if the rules change again & teams have to name more british players in there squads the like of Colback, Egan, & Noble are going to harder for us to keep the big guns come with a daft 15-20m offer & we sell them. I guess in the long run it will benefit the national teams like England & Scotland

3. Chappaz

Chappaz Active Member

Imo these past few years (and the few years to come) are transitional periods for all of the clubs. If you look at, say, 5 years back, the traditional top 4 were all big powers with stability. Now however, their key players are getting older, owners are making an influence and managers are changing.

I think it's more noticeable because of the contrast between Man City and other clubs. It's highlighting the difference when Man City have spent so much and have so many quality players of all ages. It especially highlights that Chelsea's and Man Utd's elder statesmen are getting on now, and they really need to be finding the players who will take them forward in the coming years.

Plus, of course, the FFP rules will make a difference.

4. Bizarreknives

Bizarreknives Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Weirdly, I think I agree with Chapped Arse.
    Man City aside, the so called big clubs are not as good as a few years ago and some of the rest are getting better.