1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Loanees

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by WINDYROG, May 22, 2018.

1. WINDYROG

WINDYROG Well-Known Member

Any thoughts re the possibilities of chasing after Sean Clare for next season and did Callum Reilly fulfil any potential?

2. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

I would be very surprised if Sean Clare was loaned out this season, after his spell with us he started to get in and around their first team.

3. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Claire was offered new contract but did not sign it so prob go to another championship team

4. itstimupnorth

itstimupnorth Well-Known Member

Seems like he's being linked to Aston Villa, so I agree unlikely to come back to us as even if that doesn't happen there will surely be other Championship (or even Premiership) teams interested.

Also, although he's technically available on a 'free', Wednesday will be due compensation because of his age, so there will be significant financial investment involved given that he'll want a signing on fee as well, and we all know our policy on spending money..

5. WINDYROG

WINDYROG Well-Known Member

What about Reilly? Do you think we should try to add him to our squad?

6. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Reilly was ok, whether I would want to spend any little money we have on a transfer fee is debatable, once you start getting into the area of transfer fee's then we could probably look at doing better.
    with so many players available on a free we should be looking long and hard before committing our limited resources to any average players, his wiki page shows 2 goals in 139 appearances, hardly what we are desperate for after a season when the midfield failed to add significantly on the goal front.

brb and alwaysright like this.
  7. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

Well said grumpygit !
    Reilly was indeed OK. His stand-out performances were in our last two games - especially at Bristol Rovers.
    Reilly has shown that he is the type of 'defensive ' midfielder that we need, whilst at the same time, he has started to show his 'positive' style of football when going forward.
    I don't think that Gills will have a midfield that significantly contributes to our goals total - until the next Dack comes along -- and we certainly are not going to be able to afford to buy such a player -- so we will have to make do with somebody who can be versatile enough to try to be fairly good in defence, and attack-minded when needed. I thought that Reilly was showing these qualities at the end of season ------ I was very surprised that Bury sent him out on loan.
    I understand your reluctance for Gills to spend on a transfer fee for him - but - I wouldn't mind if the figure was reasonable. It might be a better gamble than leaving it until the last minute of the transfer window (( as per usual )) - when all there is left is scrapings from the bottom of the barrel.

grumpygit likes this.