1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Loan Watch 2018/19

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by humanbeingincroydon, Sep 4, 2018.

1. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Kazaiah Sterling wasn't in the squad for Sunderland's 2-2 draw with Accrington, and we're not the only set of fans wondering what the hell...

2. humanbeingincroydon

Shayon Harrison played 84 minutes of The Sheik Mansour's Australian Team's 3-1 loss to Newcastle

3. humanbeingincroydon

Samuel Shashoua played 84 minutes of Baleares' 1-0 win over Conquense, having a goal ruled out for offside and also getting pride of place on the teamsheet

Connor Ogilvie played 90 minutes in Gillingham's 1-0 win over Scunthorpe
    GKN was an 83rd minute substitute in Monaco's 1-0 win over Nantes

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  4. humanbeingincroydon

Marcus Edwards had a bit of a monster in Excelsior's 2-1 win over Emmen, scoring the equaliser and then setting up the winner an a three minute spell

Cameron Carter-Vickers played 90 minutes in Swansea's 4-1 win over Brentford
    Anthony Georgiou was an unused sub in Levante B's 2-0 loss to Lleida

5. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

It seems like the boy is growing up on-pitch anyway.
    Nobody wants the academy to ditch talent on a whim, but while
    Pochettino is manager there is no route to the seniors where
    ego is placed above the squad ethos.

6. humanbeingincroydon

Sunderland manager Jack Ross has confirmed Kazaiah Sterling missed the last two games after picking up a knock, and if 50/50 for tonight's game with Gillingham due to only returning to training yesterday

7. humanbeingincroydon

Connor Ogilvie played 90 minutes in Gillingham's 4-2 loss to Sunderland, while Kazaiah Sterling wasn't in the squad due to the aforementioned knock

Meanwhile, Voetball Primeur has written a short article about Marcus Edwards' loan, which Google Translate has butchered below...

"Edwards is of a bizarre level. What he can do is insane"

It is "incredible" that Excelsior has access to Marcus Edwards this season. That's what teammate Jeffrey Fortes says in conversation with Voetbal International. Fortes finds Edwards (20) "of bizarre level."

Winger Edwards was loaned by Excelsior from Tottenham Hotspur in August. Forties admires the Spurs player. "He is of a bizarre level. What he can do is really insane. " I do not have seen a better player in my career, Mauricio Pochettino did not say that reference with Messi for no reason. ", He tells VI." He was referring to his way of moving and that is really something. "

Fortes understands that there is dynamic pressure on the shoulders of Edwards. "For many he is the loaned player of Tottenham Hotspur, not Marcus Edwards." Of course he is also incredible that he is walking around here, let's face it. "

This was Edwards in fourteen Eredivisie appearances for two goals and two assists.

8. Blue and White

Blue and White Well-Known Member

What Edwards needs to do is read Bentaleb's and GKB's comments about being young and immature. That is what makes the difference between players of that ilk and the Kane , Dele and Winks of this world.

deedub93 likes this.
  9. humanbeingincroydon

Time for Google translate to mangle another article on Marcus Edwards...

Spurs mercenary Edwards comes loose at Excelsior: 'What he can do is not normal'

A Tottenham Hotspur player at Excelsior. Pingeldoos Marcus Edwards (20) starts to feel at home in Kralingen. Get acquainted with the British weapon of Woudestein, which played a leading role last Sunday during the crucial 2-1 victory over FC Emmen. "I'm not here to disappoint people."

The embrace with his father shows pure football happiness in his most vulnerable form. Marcus Edwards celebrates his goal and assist and the oh so important win of Excelsior at FC Emmen at the edge of the field with his support and support. The attacker promised on Friday a goal and an assist and fulfilled his agreement. 'I always do everything I promise' is his simple explanation.

Edwards has to tell his story afterwards for the NOS camera. "No, I would rather not have done that," he confesses. Media attention is nothing for him, he just wants to ping old-fashioned, drive opponents to despair and entertain the audience. It does not stop him from excelling for Excelsior. "I talk with my feet, not with my mouth."

When the Friday morning training in the Van Donge & De Roo Stadium has ended and the players exhaustively find the locker room after a long, intensive session, one player is in the spotlight to kick some balls towards the goal. 'Look, he is busy again,' points trainer Adrie Poldervaart. Marcus Edwards does not want to go inside yet. "This is the Marcus we have seen since the winter break." Last year he was the silent, somewhat withdrawn Englishman who did not seem to be able to ground in Rotterdam. The mystery-Edwards, they called him already. A stray strange bird. Now he is thawed and he can call himself an undisputed basic player, the hope of Excelsior in the complex relegation battle and a hand binder for Eredivisie defenders. 'This is an incredible player', Vitesse coach Leonid Slutsky remarked after Edwards gave a quick course of slalom to the Arnhemmers immediately after the winter break.

Edwards came to Excelsior in August, stowed by Tottenham Hotspur. He was there like a thunder in a clear sky. In a place that he never thought he would ever be. A mega talent from London in Kralingen, that sounds like a penguin in the desert. With his thoughts he sometimes seemed to be in the English capital, a dreamer on and off the field. Edwards dribbled with the ball on a string, showing himself a comic book hero from a bygone era. His return, however, was low and co-defenders were not there. Was this a mega-talent, once by Spurs manager Mauricio Pochettino renamed 'mini-Messi' because of his dribbling?

"He's just twenty." The face of Adrie Poldervaart radiates something natural. The four words of the Excelsior coach tell the story. "Now let's not forget that this is a young boy. Everyone immediately saw that this is an exceptional talent, but he came into a strange country with new people around him and suddenly played against seniors. '

Poldervaart saw the metamorphosis of Edwards from nearby at the training camp in Spain. "I had received an English article about English top talents. Among others about him and about Jayden Sancho from Borussia Dortmund. Supported with statistics and conclusions. I doubted for a long time whether I should let Marcus read, it was quite critical. But I did it anyway. Go and read this, I told him. We also spoke. The penny has fallen, he has to do more than he used to. You see that he is doing better now, is also doing more with others. I like to see it. Jeffry Fortes and Lorenzo Burnet have played an important role in this. I call Lorenzo and Marcus the Two Brothers on the 4th Floor. Fortes and Burnet took care of Edwards in Spain. You should not exaggerate that, but putting him at ease is important. He has become more social. "

Time to ask the protagonist a few things, but that is not a simple task. In the interview request, press chef Vincent Wernke had warned: "Marcus does not like the press and does not like to talk." From the first moment he was in Rotterdam, you saw the Englishman obscure journalists. The right time and the right comment seem necessary to reach him. A challenge has been born. Also because Edwards has a flat London accent, so that a conversation in understandable and understandable English is not a matter of course.

When the attacker walks out of the field with his small passes, Poldervaart calls him. Edwards greets kindly, in his eyes the fear is visible for what is to come. The trainer puts him at ease and mediates, although no agreements have been made about this in advance. "Marcus, I know you do not like press, but we've now picked one for you that's your length, it does not matter much." There's nothing about it. According to his player passport, Edwards is 1 meter 76, but if you see him working from the tribune, you estimate him smaller. The interviewer is officially three centimeters smaller and slightly less trained, the hairdress explains the difference in the benefit of Edwards.

NICE LAUGH

Edwards suddenly stands in a place where he would rather not be. Only with a journalist, he feels himself in a dark alley. On the opening question whether he is having a good time at Excelsior, a predictable answer follows. "Yes." Honest is fair, a clear answer to a stupid closed question. He is getting ready to walk, but by immediately following an open question, the conversation is saved. In fact, the quiet Edwards does not seem so quiet. If you listen carefully to the inner gibberish, satisfactory answers come. 'I knew little about the Netherlands. I knew the top clubs, otherwise nothing. Excelsior? No, only from the FIFA game. "

A mischievous laugh breaks through. They have not seen him laugh so much in Kralingen, but lately he clearly feels more at ease. "In the beginning I was searching. I was in a strange city, had never been away from home for long. I ended up in a different world, had to get to know my fellow players and get used to the way of training. I just wanted to pick it up, I worked hard. "Edwards's presence was good for Edwards. 'It may sound strange, I am a boy of just twenty and live with my father. But I like it. And he too. It's good for me that he is here. "

Pa Edwards is the biggest fan of Marcus. In Gelredome we saw him dancing happily after his first Eredivisie goal was made by his son. Against Emmen we also see him in the stands, Excelsior - and his son in particular - inciting. Enjoying the leading role that Edwards junior claims for. 'A great man who talks a lot', Jeffry Fortes knows. 'A real speech waterfall. I think Marcus does not have that part of him.

"In the beginning I was searching. I was in a strange city, I had never been away from home for long."

Edwards is one of the many talented football players from England who hope to get playing time abroad. 'It is true that many young English players go to Europe. It is difficult to break through in England at a young age. On the one hand because there are many foreigners and on the other hand we do not know the youth competition as it is here. You have to play as a young footballer to be able to develop. I'm doing it now. For me the Netherlands is fine. The way of playing football suits me. I played at Tottenham often as 10, here on the outside. I do not actually have a favorite position yet. "

Since he was eight, Edwards has been a member of The Spurs and in the second cup tournament he was allowed to come in once, for Vincent Janssen. Getting Tottenham 1 seems like a logical dream. "I have no dreams," he confesses. 'I have talent, it is up to me to do something with it. If I bring the first from Tottenham, I have done well; if it does not work, I have to look for the blame myself. I follow Tottenham and will always continue to do so, it is my club. I have seen them win from Borussia Dortmund this week. Then I really cheer. "Edwards now focuses on Excelsior, preservation of his life in the Eredivisie is at stake and secretly expected to play a major role in this. 'I have to be important, I want to be important. I know people expect that, I'm not here to disappoint people. "

WINK

That went pretty well ', remarks the visibly surprised press secretary. Earlier in the week, Wernke had asked Edwards to work on a piece in the program booklet. "Should I do that or should I do that?" He had answered with a questioning look. We make the appointment after the game against FC Emmen still to meet. One goal and one assist, can we agree on that? The promise is made. And a wink as a bonus. "He's a funny guy," teammate Fortes laughs. Edwards looks around for a moment. He is probably proud of the interview he has given and sticks a thumb. Fortes reacts. "Now I'm going to talk about you, friend."

The Cape Verdean right back sees Edwards as his little brother. "He is not a talker, no, although he begins to become more and more loose. We let him do the music in the locker room, that helps. It is just his character, he is not exuberant, rather in himself. We are always so good at giving someone a stamp in football. Marcus just does not like talking, is not that allowed? You do not need to have a value judgment on that. It also has good sides. He prefers to be at home rather than going into town. Marcus lives for football, he wants to succeed. It's up to him. If you have so much talent, you have to make the most of it. '

How good is Edwards? Fortes laughs, he seems to find it a silly question. "Everyone sees that. He is of a bizarre level. What he can do is really not normal. I have not experienced a better player in my career. Pochettino did not make that comparison with Messi for nothing. He was referring to his way of moving and there is really something in there. You will not get rid of him on a sidewalk tile. But there is more to it, eh. He now plays relegation football. He has never experienced that. He sometimes still plays as a junior, he never had to deal with those responsible. And he plays on artificial grass. He is much better on grass. And there is a certain pressure. He is for many the rented player of Tottenham Hotspur, not Marcus Edwards. Of course it is also incredible that he is walking around here, let's be honest. "Fortes expects the British youth to show himself in the coming months. 'He has already done that since the winter break. Now he has to go scoring and give assists. We also have a click on the field. He is left and wants a lot inside, because of that I can over it. Although, I always have to wait and see what he does and respond to it. '

BODYGUARD

When we talk about the future of Edwards, Fortes comes up with a remarkable suggestion. "The Ødegaard route is something for him," he remarks. 'It's a bit comparable. Both super talents, everything is always done for them, the youth team in which they played was decorated on them. I seriously think that Edwards was such a pupil who started to dribble, all opponents passed, scored and pulled the ball out of the net to have the ball again as soon as possible after the kickoff. "But what is the Ødegaard route? ? 'Do not go back after half a year in the Netherlands. With his type of game, Marcus fits here, he can develop here. He is not going to play in the first of Tottenham yet, so do it here. Preferably another year with Excelsior, yes, but I think he can fit an Eredivisie subtopper and that it can be good for him. '

Edwards meets his promise against FC Emmen. A goal and an assist. He knows and reports laughing. "This was the deal, right?" The eyes of the eyes sparkle. "Important three points this. Good for the team towards the next matches. And for me, of course. I need to score more and give assists, I know. Efficiency is that called? "Trainer Poldervaart is passing by. "You are friends now, are not you?" Technical director Ferry de Haan has gotten the promise of Edwards. "Take him home for a week," it sounds. Edwards now puts the music in the dressing room.

Fortes hopes that they will read the story in London with and about his young teammate Edwards. "In a few years we will go to Marcus if he plays the Champions League final." The older brother devises an alternative route on the spot. "Maybe they see that they have to take me as Marcus's body-guard. It's good for him that I keep a close eye on him. Who is the right back there, Serge Aurier right? "

10. humanbeingincroydon

Shayon Harrison played 69 minutes in The Sheikh Mansour's Australian Team's 1-1 draw with Melbourne Victory
    Cameron Carter-Vickers played 90 minutes in Swansea's 3-1 loss to Wednesday, and judging by Twitter he had a 'mare
    Connor Ogilvie played 90 minutes in Gillingham 1-0 win over Wycombe
    Kazaiah Sterling wasn't in the squad for Sunderland's 2-0 win over Bristol Rovers

I'll add the bits & bobs from Excelsior/Utrecht to tomorrow lunchtime's updates from Spain

11. humanbeingincroydon

Marcus Edwards played 87 minutes in Excelsior's 0-0 draw with Utrecht
    Samuel Shashoua played 90 minutes in Balears' 1-0 win against Barcelona B
    Anthony Georgiou got his first start for Levante B, playing 77 minutes in their 1-1 draw against Hercules where he scored the opening goal - which was well timed, all things considered...

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  12. humanbeingincroydon

GKN wasn't in the squad for Monaco's 2-0 win over Lyon

13. humanbeingincroydon

Cameron Carter-Vickers played 90 minutes in Swansea's 2-0 win over Bolton
    Marcus Edwards played 90 minutes in Excelsior's 2-0 loss to PSV
    GKN isn't in the squad for Monaco's 2-2 draw against Angers
    Kazaiah Sterling wasn't in the squad for Sunderland's 2-0 win over Plymouth, so that loan's working out well...
    Connor Ogilvie played 90 minutes in Gillingham's 1-1 draw with Fleetwood

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  14. humanbeingincroydon

Samuel Shashoua, who they're now trying to call Samu, played 56 minutes in Baleares' 0-0 draw against Olot
    Anthony Georgiou played 64 minutes in Levante B's 1-1 draw with Castellon
    Shayon Harrison played 64 minutes in The Sheikh Mansour's Australian Team's 2-2 draw with Perth

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  15. humanbeingincroydon

I've had a genius idea: maybe add the games our loanees could play in advance before editing them after the games are finished rather than drop feed them at random due to kickoff times

So with that said...

Marcus Edwards played 90 minutes in Excelsior's 1-0 loss to VVV, which indicates he's becoming more important as he's usually subbed off when they're chasing games, and he had a couple of chances to score but (and this is the best Google Translate can offer...) one was well saved while the other the defender recovered to block
    Cameron Carter-Vickers played 90 minutes in Swansea's 1-0 loss to Norwich, picking up a booking, and reportedly had a hell of a game nullifying Norwich's usually lethal attack
    GKN wasn't in the squad for Monaco's 1-1 draw with Bordeaux
    Samuel Shashoua played 69 minutes in Baleares' 1-1 draw with Ontinyent
    Anthony Georgiou played 90 minutes Levante B's 2-0 win over Alcoyano, having a couple of chances to score and sending in a corner their entire team managed to jump out the way of
    Kazaiah Sterling was cup-tied for Sunderland's 2-0 EFL Trophy win over Bristol Rovers, and wasn't in the squad for their 1-1 draw with Wycombe, so this loan's working out well...
    Connor Ogilvie played 90 minutes in Gillingham's 1-0 win over Oxford
    The Sheikh Mansour's Australian Team's don't play Sydney until next weekend. Whoops!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    The Huddlefro likes this.
  16. humanbeingincroydon

Are there any Egyptologists who want to try and decipher what the sodding hell this means?
    please log in to view this image

17. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

I think it might mean he's living in a windmill. Clearly in double dutch.

18. humanbeingincroydon

Not a very good windmill if it's missing most of its sails. Did they have another visit from Don Quixote?

19. humanbeingincroydon

I wish Baleares' first team and women's team didn't play at the same time, I've been following the wrong match on their Twitter feed for the past ten minutes...

20. humanbeingincroydon

This weekend's summary

Marcus Edwards played 90 minutes in Excelsior's 1-0 loss to VVV, which indicates he's becoming more important as he's usually subbed off when they're chasing games, and he had a couple of chances to score but (and this is the best Google Translate can offer...) one was well saved while the other the defender recovered to block
    Cameron Carter-Vickers played 90 minutes in Swansea's 1-0 loss to Norwich, picking up a booking, and reportedly did his part in the dogged defending the team put up in trying to keep Norwich's otherwise lethal attack at bay
    GKN wasn't in the squad for Monaco's 1-1 draw with Bordeaux
    Samuel Shashoua played 69 minutes in Baleares' 1-1 draw with Ontinyent
    Anthony Georgiou played 90 minutes Levante B's 2-0 win over Alcoyano, having a couple of chances to score and sending in a corner their entire team managed to jump out the way of
    Kazaiah Sterling was cup-tied for Sunderland's 2-0 EFL Trophy win over Bristol Rovers, and wasn't in the squad for their 1-1 draw with Wycombe, so this loan's working out well...
    Connor Ogilvie played 90 minutes in Gillingham's 1-0 win over Oxford
    The Sheikh Mansour's Australian Team's don't play Sydney until next weekend. Whoops!

PleaseNotPoll likes this.