1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

LJ - This is Our Season.

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Red Alert

Red Alert Well-Known Member

Not many of those seventeen players start games?

2. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

21 players. But games started is not the only metric by which you can judge a signing. If those players become regular first team players within a few years then they can still be considered successful.

3. Red Alert

Lee Johnson wanted several transfer windows to change things around and the majority of the team starting now were here before he arrived. 21 i need new eyes !!! I do think that is bad record. i said elsewhere hes a young manager with a youngish team. In terms of recruitment he has to be getting more hits than he is. 21 should have been enough to rebuild the team !!

4. BCFCRob

Depends how you look at it. Those 21 signings could have got us a top Championship side. Or they could have got us an average Championship side which could one day be an average Premier League side. You don't always pay for current ability.

Of those 21, half or so you can solidly expect to have not yet hit their peak.

5. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Leko and that useless one from Sunderland Mathews (even though he tricked us as his loan was good) can both go down misses

6. BCFCRob

Yep good point. Leko, I'll give you, Matthews I'll have to give you as well but every single one of us thought that would be a good signing, so I'd let him off for that.

RedorDead likes this.
  7. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

And a fair few of them may have started more games if they hadn't had long term injuries

8. Red Alert

Taking away ones for the future. I would look at as being very poor. There are players who contributed little and made the teams form worse. Wrong dna poor fits are not meant to be recruited.

Diony??? Not even arsed to go on the team bus. posting on Instagram from the bench when he did make the ground???? City were paying for that.

9. BCFCRob

Think that's harsh personally. Taking away ones for the future:

Hit (10): Pisano, Diedhiou, Baker, Steele, O'Neil, Brownhill, Paterson, Djuric, Wright, Taylor
    Miss (7): Kent, Diony, Woodrow, Engvall, Hegeler, Leko, Matthews
    Debatable (1): Tomlin

Bearing in mind of those 7 misses, 5 of them were loans. Not really that bad at all. Steele and O'Neil being in as a positive is arguable but ultimately they have both done the job they were brought in to do, if not setting the world alight.