1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

LJ - This is Our Season.

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Apr 9, 2018.

1. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Do you know any teams starting eleven? That's why he's the manager and we are not!!

2. Red Alert

Red Alert Well-Known Member

Frequently fella. Dixon and Keane last night were making the point of how settled sides lead to better results as players know each others games inside out. Neither thought chop and changing tactics and players was a good sign for a side.

3. oneforthebristolcity

Not many sides can field the same 11 and rarely do they for whatever reason....hence the reason for a squad. You will rarely see the likes of top sides fielding the same eleven...too many games to do that.
    Oh and we should all listen to Dixon & Keane because??
    Should be a settled squad of players rather than just a team

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    ccfcremotesupport likes this.
  4. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Then he must go, but he won't because the sun shines out of his backside according to the man at the top. Oh wait a minute he hasn't actually come out and said that recently. Other than the bad years back in the day he must be the only City manager who holds consecutive season losing streak records that is still in his job. Wake up Steve he's not fit for purpose in my books. All said sardonically of course.

5. Red Alert

settled sides. settled tactics. That is not Bristol City. dont go every week. been shocked to see the change in the way City play.

6. Red Alert

Young Manager with a young team. Learning on the job here. when he is on it the team looks good but seems to lose his way and make lots of change when results go wrong. quite possible he can find his way back to the football the team was playing again.

7. oneforthebristolcity

We changed because we started to lose games, the thrashing Villa gave us prompted a change.......but that didn't work either.....IMO...the squad of players aren't good enough.
    The style that we all enjoyed requires the entire squad to be playing the same way.....I believe the players brought in could not adapt/weren't good enough.

8. Red Alert

Loss v Wolves so what!! then losing one game v Villa prompted Lee Johnson to change around things and lose a lot lot more!!! That aint far of the mark. City were going great guns up to the Villa game.

Agree with the squad point and the players brought in not being good enough because they are the wrong type of player.

9. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

At points Mr Johnson credibility must be in question.

it was coaching decisions that brought in players into a team that was proving itself to be good enough. It was coaching decisions that changed the style of the team to accommodate these players.

These players have added bugger all. Diony looks like a chancer here for the easy ride. The spine of the team, its driving force are players who were here when Mr Johnson came into the club. Where is this dna Mr Johnson and Ashton speak of. Where is their dna, the project, identity in the players they recruited?

Progress has been made but recruitment in the main is looking dire. What did this piss poor recruitment do to team harmony in January? A united group of players proceeded to play different tactics disunited. No surprise.

Mr Johnson will not be going anywhere. Improvement will be train what you are, be what you are, recruit what you are and stop fannying around doing something when results do not go as you want them to.

10. oneforthebristolcity

Agree with most of the above except "stop fannying around doing something when results do not go as you want them to".
    That's a dammed if he does and dammed if he doesn't situation IMO.

11. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

I omitted the word else (something else). Its is not a damned situation ... Its about having courage in your own methodology. This heralded press ... Yesterday it was abandoned again ... Famara and Djuric do not play that way ... Passing largely abandoned again ... A team selection not to play that way ... Its world of soup time when Mr Johnsons results go awry ...A crisis of confidence in what he is supposedly creating.

Bristol City played brilliant football this season. The Manger needs to add mettle to himself to stay with it.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    raver likes this.
  12. oneforthebristolcity

I actually think the way we were playing ran out of steam, for whatever reason, the confidence of the players after the Wolves & Villa game deteriorated.
    Not enough players on the books (within the squad) to keep the momentum of that style going IMO.
    Like many have said, including yourself, the players brought in didn't fit the bill, neither did they improve us on in any department. To me, there is the flaw.
    Again, IMO...He needs to clear out the players that do not fit the style he wants to play and bring in the right players.......by right, this should come the academy!!!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  13. invermeremike

Hang on a minute here, because if my memory serves me correctly, wasn't that supposed to be the reason he brought in the new players in the first case? I have not been impressed with his activity in the transfer market and the thought that he paid 5.8 million quid for Diedhou makes me quiver for his, and our, monetary future. I think he just got lucky and got off to a great start but his lack of ability shone through, and since the turn of the year we have been dismal, to be kind.

I think the appointment was not generally well received and the thought of yet another year waiting for the promises to be met, or at least given some rational thought, don't sit well with me for our long term survival in the Championship. Blaming the players for the dip in results this second half is off the mark and when you remember last season he levelled that criticism at the supporters, I have no confidence in him and I hope he isn't given another opportunity to take the team to the field.

Harsh words I will admit but why does Lansdown fall so flat with his managerial appointments when you consider our track record in that department? Is it something in the mind of a very successful businessman that won't allow someone in to the the club that may prove to be smarter than him, or is that just not on the cards?

14. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

9 goals in 20 appearances not good enough for you then?
    Don’t worry won’t be long till you will be saying we ain’t buying quick enough or spending enough.

15. oneforthebristolcity

I agree, the wrong type of players brought in.
    I do think it's a bit harsh because we are so much better than last season, but I do understand your frustration with the results we've had in the past few months.
    And your replacement would be?

16. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

LJ is still in credit with SL and it may well take an earthquake for LJ to leave.
    Tbf even I'd give him an extra window to the 3 he asked for when he arrived.
    So far all the money spent by Ashton and LJ has come from the profit we made on Kodjia. It might be some while before we make any profit on their additions.
    1For, I take your point about who else (besides you and me) but SL isn't the type to throw his money around without a return.

17. Alandicksthegreat

Alandicksthegreat Well-Known Member

I would be very interested in who you think our next appointment would be if you get your wish and SL sacks LJ, names please.

18. invermeremike

Better replacements are always an issue and to be honest I have no idea. As for Diedhou I was expecting more and probably with possibly better players around him he could go on to score more but for a lot of the game he looks somewhat lost to me. When things go wrong for us we seem to wander off on some other track and the lack of transfer activity points to that fact, because if ever there was a golden opportunity to improve our squad it was in January. Opportunities are only what you make of them and sometimes the window takes a long time to reopen.

19. oneforthebristolcity

You have to remember Mike, it's not easy, just going out buying top notch players.....Those type of players are always high in demand..oh, and normally very expensive.....probably out of our budget......hence why I hark on regarding the academy.....we should be coaching such players for the style we want....but not to sell, to use!

20. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

Agree with this. There's definitely room for a Diedhiou or a Djuric in the squad, even if we want to play the way we did pre-Christmas, but one of them should go imo and despite Fammy's goals I'd keep Djuric. I just feel a bit gutted really, we were on course to go up in such a perfect way. Beating Prem opposition, playing genuinely brilliant football. And then LJ, I'm afraid to say, bottled it.

It's not all doom and gloom, LJ has clearly done very well to implement this philosophy through other parts of the club (assuming it is he who can be credited with that). But the failure to stick with it failed us in the short term and could well do the same in the long term.

In terms of recruitment, yes January wasn't great, but I don't think it's been piss poor like some are saying. The vast majority of them are for the future, even if they could well do a job now. Let's take transfers this season:

Hit (10): Pisano, Diedhiou, Baker, Steele, O'Neil, Brownhill, Paterson, Djuric, Wright, Taylor
    For the future/Unproven (4): Eliasson, Bakinson, Walsh, Moore
    Miss (5): Kent, Diony, Woodrow, Engvall, Hegeler
    Debatable (2): Tomlin, Magnusson

I don't think that's a particularly bad record. Certainly not as bad as some are saying. Some are debatable (i.e. I put Taylor as a hit as he was so cheap, and Djuric even though he's arguably unproven, Steele as he has been great for the backup job which he was brought in to do), but for the most part that isn't horrific. I think our thoughts are skewed by the fact that January was poor and results have gone downward.

manxrobin likes this.