1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Liverpool vs Southampton 07/05/2017 KO 1:30PM

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by saintsfcfan, May 3, 2017.

1. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

What? You would like me to rude about the man (sorry, I meant wimp).

2. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

There was nothing about Saints on Radio 4 this evening.

I'd forgotten about Talk Sport. The whole point of this station is to be controversial. By and large, I think Radio 5 seem to cover football better albeit there are some commentators like alan Green who seems more attuned to the thoughts of fans even if I think he probably isn't so well considered by professionals. (Thinking of the recent Hooward Webb book, in particular.)

3. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

I felt you were holding back a little.

4. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

Yes, good additional point. I also find it rather strange that a few on here berate Northam but without, SMS would be a virtual morgue apart from the occasional "Oh When the Saints" & the more usual "stadium groan" !

Dark Lord SFC likes this.
  5. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Who the **** cares about the impartial fan?, and anyway we got universal praise for our display at Wembley. Do you really think that we should've played an expansive game at Anfield and probably get beaten by 1 or 2 goals? Any result there is a bonus and we never conceded a single goal against them in four matches this season.

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  6. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

I think we could have had a pop at Liverpool , certainly. There were under-strength and have had some poor performances at home. With nothing for us to play for, why shouldn't we have been more expansive? If we were in a relegation battle or needed the points to get in to Europe, the tactics would have been wholly justified. In this instance, I think Puel should have been less conservative.

We spend a third of our lives asleep. Isn't this enough?

ImpSaint likes this.
  7. Saints_Alive

So you would've preferred us to lose 4-2 or something like we did at Chelsea? and you would've probably been all over here saying "3 defeats in 4 games..blah blah blah". We are still playing for league position and 8th place would mean a few million extra in the coffers, plus it looks better than say 12th.

Plus, playing less expansively got us through the EFL semi-final, so it is entirely justified.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  8. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

Don't worry Ian. Reading through the thread from the end of the game up to here I was highly surprised at how it was all positive, well done etc. I thought it was embarrassing. The sort of performance you would applaud from minnows holding out a top team but then the minnows might have tried to attack every now and again.

So I will leave it there. Completely dumbfounded as to how people see this as a great performance after the years of moaning about parking the bus. Totally embarrassing. Yay penalty save. Great. Yay a point. Great. Worth watching? Makes me long for the days of no internet and checking the scores on the videprinter without wasting 90 minutes of my life praying for anything that resembles an attack.

9. ImpSaint

Saints in the 90s would have a few shots here and there and try to attack on occassion..........plus they weren't a side supposed to be one of the better teams in the Prem. A very good season back then was top half finish whereas now it is the expected minimum level. We were completely out of our depth in the division financially back then.

It is not the same now. We are this lauded setup with a club policy of "The Southampton Way" not "Survive if we can."

The Southampton team of the 90s would have had more of a go at Liverpool and Liverpool still wouldn't have scored.

That was embarrassing yesterday. We aren't bottom of the league scared to leave our half and hoping to hold out for a point. We are a solid mid table side that should be playing a cautious but still optimistic game at Anfield and not playing as if we were Accrington going to the Bernabeu. If it is to be Puel's way of sitting back and hoping to nick a goal on the counter then I may as well just turn the game on as it ends and watch the highlight<----singular.

10. RedandWhiteManofKent

RedandWhiteManofKent Well-Known Member

Completely happy with yesterdays performance, away to a top 4 side.

Our conversion rate has been poor all season, missing most of the chances we have created.

Might as well cut out the middle man, save energy and not create the chances in the first place.

11. Saints_Alive

Hang on Imps, it was only two games ago that we took it to the best team in the country at Chelsea, having 12 goal attempts and more corners than them. We ended up losing because they have greater QUALITY, and that is what we are up against. We are not in the class as the top 6, who can make themselves better each transfer window by buying the best players and employing the best coaches. Last season was a one off and we are unlikely to see it happen again too soon. I don't blame Puel for setting up as he did against Liverpool because it is his job on the line and another loss would've had the vultures circling.
    We have had some very good attacking displays recently, 17 goals in the last 11 games, so it is tosh to suggest that we are always negative. you don't score 4 goals away from home consecutively if you are a boring team.

12. Saints_Alive

"If it is to be Puel's way of sitting back and hoping to nick a goal on the counter"

It got us to Wembley didn't it?

13. ImpSaint

Yep, another second place to add to the collection.

14. Saints_Alive

From the BBC match report...

"Southampton can be proud of one of the finest performances in defeat the modern Wembley has seen - but that will be no consolation to Puel's devastated players."

Doesn't sound like a boring team to me.

15. ImpSaint

I have posted several times that we are not incapable of good performances and there have been a few however they are spread inbetween some pretty dire ones as well as others where we don;t ever look like scoring despite dominating midfield.

It was a good performance at Wembley. Yay we got to a final. Does that excuse the haul of unwatchable games from the season?

Chelsea was a good game but Chelsea are a different kettle of fish to Liverpool and so are Man City. Against Man City we didn't even put up a fight. Against Liverpool we played the same but they can't score.

Is that our strategy for away games? Sit back, defend resolutely and hope?

I remember in the nineties we would often do performances like the Wmebley one where we would also end up beaten. The Spurs extra time one (my mate had Sky so I saw that) The ZDS one. Always hopeful but walking away a little bit "dreams dashed" however that was how we were then. Maybe you could excuse that side for going away and playing for the bore draw but not these days.

I am not suggesting we should have gone there to attack them. I am suggesting we should have gone there with a bit more ambition than to sit back and hope for the best.

16. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Yes, and yes. Until we get a second striker of the same calibrate as Gabbiadini, plus a playmaker to get the ball to them, that is our best hope against teams with technically better players than us.

And, by the way, we genuinely did deserve to win at Wembley. Everyone who saw the game, including Mourinho, thought so.

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  17. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Imps

Just incase you missed it rather than chose to ignore it... I'd be interested in your reply to this one.

18. VocalMinority

VocalMinority Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  19. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

You're just annoyed we didn't attack the left wing more :)

ImpSaint likes this.
  20. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

Although I agreed it was a very boring performance from us, that point could be very precious. 4 points from Arsenal & Middlesborough & we'll be in a very good position to claim 8th. Puel is no different from anyone & wants to achieve the best for his employer & to "tick" his CV. EFL final, 8th & so nearly ko stages of EL shouldn't be sniffed at, regardless of how we got there. And can I add, maybe a back door route into Europe via MU - btw, is that true?