1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Liverpool vs Arsenal - Matchday Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by BrunelGunner, Apr 5, 2023.

1. BrunelGunner

BrunelGunner Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Xhaka, what the hell are you doing? Such a pointless and needless booking. Admittedly, Trent shouldn’t have barged him but still. We’re 2-0 up.

2. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

And just like that, Salah makes it 2-1. We totally switched off there.

3. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

2-1. HT.

I don’t know why we got so wound up from the 40th minute onward, but it played into Liverpool’s hands.

We were all over them and cruising at 2-0, then that Xhaka-Trent incident got the crowd and the players riled up, which lit a fire and they scored directly afterwards.

We were hanging on toward the end.

Need to calm down and regain control. If we lose emotional control, we’re going to get sucked into a horrible game where we’ll slip up.

4. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

FT. 2-2.

Gutting to have conceded so late, but we didn't deserve to win. It was all one-way traffic second half and we didn't earn the right to get the 3 points. I don't know why we were so defensive and invited pressure the whole half.

That first half and second half was chalk and cheese. We looked so good first half and then it seemed like we let the occasion get the better of us in the second.

A draw at Anfield is good normally, but not when you're 2-0 up and they batter you to get (at least) a point. Although it's better than nothing.

Frustrating, but not a disastrous result.

5. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

I love Martinelli, but man, this would have been a defining moment if he'd played this right.

Would have been undeserved, but ah, what could have been...

6. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

Shoutout to Ramsdale, by the way. He kept us in it that second half. Some truly outstanding saves when we were heavily under the cosh. We would have lost otherwise. It was like a one-man defence at times.

Arteta won’t be happy with that second half display, but he has to take some blame a) for taking too long to make subs and b) when he did make subs, they weren’t the right ones.

Liverpool have weaknesses that we could have exploited and we just sat off and lost our intensity.

7. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Couldn't watch today, just didn't fancy a result without Saliba at Anfield.
    Shame we dropped points but I guess a a draw at Anfield isn't terrible

8. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

Just watched the Firmino goal again and I’m sorry, I know we love him, but that’s just incredibly poor from Zinchenko to let Trent get goalside so easily. He needed to be stronger there and instead he lets him get past like he wasn’t there.

I know he’s a quality player in possession and is vital to how we play, but his defensive nous needs to be better.

If that’s Tierney, there’s no way Trent gets past him like that.

9. quinneristops

quinneristops Well-Known Member

Trent barged into him because he elbowed Trent in the head and should have been sent off

10. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

Please go on and win it now. People saying it's in City's hands: it's in yours too -you can get a result at the Emptyihad.

Thanks again.

BrunelGunner likes this.

11. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

Just popped in to say not sure a draw is great for either of us but it was a cracking game and a shout out to your fans for their full respect of the Hillsborough anniversary .
    Now just make sure you stay ahead of the blue Mancs

12. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

Thanks for the good wishes <ok> I’ve always had a lot of respect for Liverpool (probably due to everyone else in my family supporting Liverpool and me being the stray Arsenal fan, but that’s what Thierry Henry does to you I guess <laugh>)

Honestly, I think it will be a tall order now as our remaining fixtures are a lot trickier than City’s, but we’re still in it and we just have to hope City trip up a couple of times between now and the end of the season.

Best of luck in your European chase too. I think top-4 might be tricky, but if you have more of those second half performances between now and end of the season, with rivals slipping up, well, stranger things have happened…

Solid_Air 2 and Prince Knut like this.
  13. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

Top four went weeks ago, but we don't deserve it anyway this season. Truly hope you can stop City getting three-in-a-row - they're just a sports washing club and we all know they are. But bitterness aside, I've loved your football this season. Good luck, and there's not one team you're left to play, including City, that you can't beat.

Solid_Air 2 and BrunelGunner like this.