1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Liverpool v SAINTS, Saturday 1st February, 3pm KO

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Saints Fan4Life, Jan 28, 2020.

1. SAINTOSPREY

SAINTOSPREY Well-Known Member

1 for wearing the correct attire.

2. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

3. Kaito

Kaito Well-Known Member

The Liverpool juggernaut has rolled over every team this season and today it was our turn. We played well, very well, for most of the match but they are deadly when given half a chance and together with the **** house of a referee, we gave them that. To get anything at Liverpool we needed to play out of our skins, but we already had a weakened midfield with JWP as right back so it wasn’t going to happen.

The most damning and damaging factor wasn’t the scoreline, it wasn’t really Liverpool, it was atrociously biased and incompetent refereeing to the point of it being blatantly dishonest. A referee who is selectively blind to whatever fouls the big teams commit, and is known throughout the league as a complete ****er.

With the immense high profile of the Premier League and all the money sloshing around you would honestly expect the standard of refereeing to be polished and highly professional. Instead it’s a complete ****ing joke, without it being remotely funny.

Liverpool deserved to win but we never deserved to loose by that score. We gave it our best shot and took the game to them and we lost. Absolutely no shame in that. I doubt any Liverpool fan would say that was an easy win for them because it wasn’t. Sad to loose today, but feeling rather proud of our performance and the way we now play. Strangely I actually feel encouraged by today and I’m not in any way downhearted.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  4. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

On reflection, 4-0 isn't really that much worse than 3-0. Whereas 5-0 would have been intolerable.

The big question is, who is watching Motd tonight? I might do, just to have a laugh at West Ham.

tomw24 likes this.
  5. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I will. I'll just switch channel when they show the Saints game. That way in my mind it never happened. :)

6. thereisonlyoneno7

#LeicesterEffect

7. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

We played well, very well, for most of the match but they are deadly when given half a chance and together with the **** house of a referee,
    -----------------

Yep. The neutrals will say, 'so it would have been 4-1, stop moaning.'
    But it wouldn't have been. We were so good in the build up to half time, we had them on the ropes. JK's half time talk would have been on concentration and containing, quick long balls to keep us down our end. Then, what happens, the ref turns a blind eye to a super bit of play from us with Danny being cynically fouled in the box. They superbly shoot up the other end of the pitch and punish us. Great, well done L'pool. But that was there for the ref to police. Had we gone 1-0 up we were there to be broken down, rather than picked off. We would have made that a massive fight. So thank you Kevin Friend, the records will show an easy 4-0 in this ever increasingly amazing unbeaten run for them.......but it really wasn't.

8. thereisonlyoneno7

For those worried, looking at the table, even though we are 7 points off the bottom 3, it will take i think 5 games of us losing and all the heavens align to drop back into it due to the other teams playing each other. That also means that 5 teams will need perfect results EACH week and we have to not pick up a bean in that time. everytime we pick up a win and one of them do not, that increases by one though the number of games remaining decreases by one.

If i were a betting man, I would say we should be ok this year.

Brinkworth Saint likes this.
  9. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

In our hearts we know this.
    In our heads, we fear losing to the Cherries and having the fear reinstalled.
    We should be fine. But I'm not celebrating yet.

thereisonlyoneno7 and MIsaints like this.
  10. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

He did OK today. His strength has always been his tackling as opposed to his speed. The fast game passes him by sometimes but other than Against Liverpool, he’s OK

11. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

The thing is you cheated by emptying cupboards first, and we all had to pay your karmic debt. Bad no 7!

12. thereisonlyoneno7

I had to. This 'one cup' that Mrs No7 has got is a nightmare. Need to re-stack the odds in my favour or at least give me a fighting chance :)

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  13. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

William the Conqueror bigged up King Harold after the Battle of Hastings so that it made his own victory seem all the more brilliant.

So Klopp bigging us up just made his half time team talk and changes all the more brilliant. It is a great form of disguised self praise that people do not recognise as such.

Or you could say I am just a cynical old bastard.

14. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Maybe Godders, but he was completely correct in his praise and with a half decent referee the result might've reflected the match more fairly.

Not many teams are as brave as we were at Anfield, we just lacked composure at the crucial moments and a bit of luck wouldn't have gone amiss either.

StJabbo1 and OddRiverOakWizards like this.
  15. Magic Ted

Magic Ted Talulah

Thought you guys were boss today and I wouldn't of complained if you had won as for large parts you were the better team. You should of had a pen and it's one of those if we hadn't of scored you probably would of been awarded it.. It was 4-0 in a game that could of been 6-6 and I think its goes to show the difference those top level forwards make on a game and why teams shell out so much money for them, they get us through those average performances (more often than I would hope) and we were average today for sure, first half anyway.

Good to see Ings kick on as he seems like a sound bloke.. All the best for the rest of the season, could have a decent crack at the cup with your way of playing.

16. AberdeenSaint

AberdeenSaint Well-Known Member

Hard lines Saints -
    that sums up my view too, Kaito.

17. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

Match of the Day spunking alert. :emoticon-0119-puke:

It's Only A Game likes this.
  18. Libby

Libby 9-0

Thought we were outstanding first half and outclassed a bit in the second. No shame in that at all though against this Liverpool side. Said to my mate at HT that we needed to get through the first ten minutes without conceding and once we did it was only going one way.

Friend was ****ing terrible as per, not even big decisions as such just his general inconsistencies. Thought Ings had stumbled in real time but seeing on here then I think it probably should have been given based on previous decisions. Watching motd now though and theirs was blatant too.

Decent day out all in all, the 4th stung a little bit though.

19. thereisonlyoneno7

...and @Libby is banned from any Premier away days for the rest of the season ;)

Libby likes this.
  20. It's Only A Game

It's Only A Game Well-Known Member

The sad thing is most of us expected this from Friend, he's known for it. But he's not the only referee who shows bias in the EPL, he's just one of the worst.
    When you say "it was atrociously biased and incompetent refereeing to the point of it being blatantly dishonest" I agree although I would say it's more dishonest than incompetent. The reason I say this is because they are consciously taking the easy way out from giving "difficult" decisions. By that I mean giving a penalty against Liverpool (or Man Utd) will have a high level of scrutiny in the press, TV and the internet, so it's much easier to give a decision that draws less criticism. They know what they're doing, it's dishonesty to the point of cheating. I don't suppose the PL care too much as it maintains the natural order and I don't expect it to change any time soon or ever.