1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Liverpool v Manchester United

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Matth_2014, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

yarp, he is the Portuguese Pulis.

Liverpool looked ok until they got in the last 3rd, once they were there the decisions and deliveries were pretty poor. Unsurprising Mourinho tactics, kick the best player as much as possible in the first 10 mins and put 7 men in defence. SO far this season you've played a lot of crap teams, some shorn of their best players, whilst you have had pretty much everyone fit, it's made you look better than you are imo, I think you'll be top 4, but not in the race for the title at the sharp end of the season.

2. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

You also say De Gea is average so your opinion is worth **** all.

<ok>

Stan, ITS_NOT_JUST_A_GAME and Diego like this.
  3. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Congrats on your nil nil draw at home.

Awesome.

4. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

I know, he did another, almost straight at him, 'world class save' again. Amazing how many clean sheets you can have with 7 men in defence that you've employed since he let 9 in against MK dons and Leicester (or was it 10?)

bulletinthehead likes this.
  5. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

It was neither.

You're right though, Liverpool did more or less **** all to trouble him, at home, so he had a quiet game. Just the one brilliant save today.

<ok>

6. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Your post doesn't even make any fkin sense. We didn't have Pogba nor Eric Bailly today - two of our best players in midfield and defense. Fellaini got ruled out too. Pogba has been out or 4 weeks already. So where is it that we had pretty much everyone fit? Yes, would have loved a more attacking flair today, but I suspect Jose knew Liverpool needed to prove a point more than we needed to win. So why play into their hands?

Secondly, you're playing at home... What is your excuse for not even getting a goal? I guess what you really wanted is another headless team similar to yours just like Arsenal to come to Anfield and make that below average attack that you have look good.

On last note, you've played tons of average teams and you still have failed to convince! One win in eight. Where does that put your own prospects exactly? Please mend your own house before commenting that are far better than yours from all indications.

ITS_NOT_JUST_A_GAME likes this.
  7. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

The points you make are all valid against Liverpool but it`s worse than that, the poster you are quoting is a Westham supporter <laugh>

cytrax likes this.
  8. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

We can't hope to win the PL if we can't take points off the top six teams - home or away. We are going to be without Pogba for a few more weeks, we can't afford to stand still in the PL table and hope to pick up points towards the end of the year - the way City are playing there could be quite a gulf between us by then

9. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Picture of Mhki today;

Diego likes this.
  10. Viva_Giggsy

Viva_Giggsy Well-Known Member

Admittingly it was painful watching us today. we looked single dimensional with zero threat against them. For me it was very boring, discouraging to watch. One mistake is all what it take in the back net and we would've lost.

This is what you get from Mourinho as a manager - it is all in his package.

He did this all through his career so far - Real Madrid, Milan, Chelsea, and now us United.

I am sure we could have played a more of a balanced attacking football against them and not lost, probably won. Worst scenario - could have been an exciting 3-3 game.

11. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well I'm not longer gutted I had to miss the game yesterday. Listened on the radio whilst driving down from Scotland. Almost fell asleep and crashed the damn car.

As Viva says, it's what you expect from Mourinho, and what I predicted. Shut the opponent down then try and nick something in the last 20 minutes as the game opened up.

To be honest I'm more surprised with how Klopp approached the game. For a supposed attacking obsessed, gegenpressing purist he was remarkably willing to haul off his three main sources of attacking threat and replace them with workhorses to close the game down. The true attacking move would have been to replace one of his three holding midfielders with an attacker, but then we'd probably have won on the counter, so maybe he's learning to be pragmatic after all.

12. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

It's almost worth watching the boring matches just to see them crying about it after the match.

13. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

I'm bemused by how much fans and fanatics are lambasting Mourinho for the game. In all other sports, it is your duty is break down your opponent if you want to win. I've never found it acceptable to blame another team for one's team lack of guile to win a game, even when it happens to us. We have scored in every game this season. So what we didn't attack and attack at Liverpool?

Klopp would rather have a manager that opens himself to 5-0 in name of open football at Anfield. When in actual fact, he was desperate to not lose this match. I say, fk him!! I'd have this match again just to hear his continuous bs excuses of how a certain style is not allowed at Liverpool. What has he got to show for his philosophy, exactly?

It's a long season, gentlemen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

In the cold light of day, while the result is fine it does bother me that we couldn't show more intent against a side who are, ultimately, not up to much.

Maybe one or two players bought into the hype?
    There were definitely passengers on the pitch and it's baffling that Mata isn't the first name on the sheet for this game, he's a genuine potential game changer rather than someone who puts his invisible cape on and hides.
    For all the possession bluster, did Liverpool even remotely trouble us? Why the **** didn't we go for it in the last half hour?

The only satisfaction I can get from the game is it confirmed how ****e Liverpool are. That we couldn't score against them is a worry though.

15. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

Yesterday's game is the big problem I have with Mourinho as a manager, he is just far to pragmatic in these type of games.

Putting it bluntly Liverpool are ****e, and we approached the game like it was a trip to the Bernabeu. The whole team selection was geared around stopping Liverpool playing.

Liverpool have an awful keeper, a bad defence and a very average midfield, so we should have gone there and taken the game to them, and exposed those weaknesses.

I've nothing against Ashley Young as a player, but why is he starting in the front 3 ahead of the likes of Rashford and Lingard. Young has been used as a full back recently, it's what he is good at these days, so as soon as I seen he was playing up top I knew what the game plan was going to be.

The way City are playing they will go to places like Andield and win comfortably, so we can't just approach every big away game like this and settle for a point, we need to back the ability of the players we have and take them on.

I'm am just so disappointed with the way we approached that game, as I know how much better we are man for man than Liverpool. We could have easily won that game if we had had a go.

If there is one positive yesterday showed once again what a brilliant goalkeeper we have, I honestly don't believe I've ever seen a goalkeeper as good as De Gea. Most keepers would have gone with their hands there, and the commentators would have been saying the keeper was left with no chance. No matter how much Real Madrid or anyone else for that matter offers for him we should not even consider selling. A goalkeeper like De Gea is priceless, as he can make saves that no other keeper I've seen can make. He's on another level for me.

Christiansmith likes this.
  16. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

There's so much history between these two clubs that I don't think form matters. We have seen that over the years that it's usually a smash n grab game at Anfield.

An awful lot has been made out of Liverpool's defensive troubles, but I knew they would be desperate to win this. I didn't expect an easy win as most thought.

As for City, they have been exhilarating but it is still a long season. We need to focus on our game instead of trying to be like them with what we have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

I personally couldn't give a toss what City are doing, I'm concerned with what we are not. Or didn't.

I'm happy ish with a point at Liverpool. Just puzzled by us not wanting to rub their noses in it.

Season wise though, so far so good. We just can't approach all the games against direct rivals in the same way as yesterday.

cytrax likes this.
  18. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yup, ****s given about City = 0

I do think Mourinho had a plan to try and win the game in the last half hour, bringing on Lingard and Rashford to replace Mickey and Tony who had been anonymous (again) for most of the game. Problem was he was expecting / hoping Klopp to over commit to try and win, like he usually does, rather than settling for a point with his changes.

Ultimately if you play a side that is so obviously happy with a draw at home, it's hard to make stuff happen when they shut up shop like that. But I agree we should have tried harder to win - as Chief says it was three points for the taking as bad as Liverpool are this year.

Just further proves what I've always thought - Mourinho over performs in the cups, but only performs to the level of his team in the league. If he has the best team he will win the league. But if he has the second or third best team, he lacks the ability of managers like SAF to get the unexpected results and consistently win the games he isn't a clear favourite in. I'm not 100% convinced we have the best team this season, so I doubt Mourinho will take us to the title, but probably another trophy will be on the cards with his ability to avoid defeat.

King Shergar and Chief like this.
  19. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

To be honest if City continue to play like they are playing then the title is probably gonna be theres.

They did really struggle last season though after a similar great start, so with abit of luck their form won't last all season.

20. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Sir Alex won the league with Tom Cleveley. That's actually hilarious if you think about it. I doubt that there will ever be another Sir Alex again with the way football has turned today.

All things being equal, there would not be such a hyperbole about this Liverpool game if you took City out of the equation. The reaction almost feels like we lost the match which I think is an overreaction. The reason why everyone is so heartbroken about this is because everyone is comparing this game to City vs Chelsea. I would actually argue that Chelsea are not exactly that strong as shown again by weekend's result. They've now lost 3 in 8. Some are even comparing Mourinho to LVG. Seriously? +19 goal difference in 8 games means nothing? All overreaction, as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017