1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Liverpool V Man Utd - Premier League

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by moreinjuredthanowen, Sep 30, 2016.

?

What will occur

Poll closed Oct 16, 2016.
  1. Liverpool Win

62.5%
  2. Draw

25.0%
  3. Utd win

20.8%
  4. I love a good ****!

4.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Milk not bear jizz

Milk not bear jizz Grasser-In-Chief

Would be nice but after all the injuries and poor performances, I don't think there would be many clubs willing to part with more than £20 for him.

The time to sell was this past summer.

2. Milnermino Lamborini

Milnermino Lamborini Well-Known Member

I just think Uniteds set up and Liverpool lacking the dynamic duo of Lallana and Wij played into Mourinho's tactics.

You could see Can receive the ball and run back to where the ball came and ignore Clynes overlap. This is where Lallana and Wij come alive utilizing the overlapping fullback and then running into space created by Mane Firm and Coutinho.

Yesterday you saw Can and Coutinho all playing deep not running from midfield to support Studge thus he looked bad. There were hardly any box overloads.

On a side note I believe Jimmy has picked up on this. Is it me or is Clyne technically average? He really struggles in tight spaces and I never understand why he bothers to shoot as he hardly scores. Watch Bellerin and then watch his approach play.

3. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

We were below par and showed fear in the first half. Mourinho did what he does best. Apart from a couple of exceptions, we didn't have the nous to sort it out. We did miss a massive opportunity last night, though.

4. astro

astro Well-Known Member

5. astro

astro Well-Known Member

Clyne used to be compared to Moreno, now he's being compared to top-scorer Milner #harsh

6. JonnyBaws

JonnyBaws Well-Known Member

Fair point.. then again, 20m+ for Studge who's becoming more and more a one dimensional player may not be bad.
    Doesn't always hold it up great.
    Appears to have lost a bit of pace.
    Always likely to be injured for a lengthy period of time.
    And will only fit into a certain type of team.

Would love to be proven wrong, a Studge of 2013/14 in this side would be mouth watering, however, right now, my mouth is dry as a nun's crotch!

7. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

Clyne is actually horrific on the ball - just basic control is tough for him. Was expecting so much from him from an offensive aspect.

Last season, he was solid defensively but has struggled this season.

8. Jimmy Squarefoot

Sturridge in the right games is extremely useful to us. Just isn't suited to these big games where we neee someone to press from the front.

9. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

Is that the extent of utd's ambition this season? Go to Anfield not to lose?

jenners04 and Jimmy Squarefoot like this.
  10. JonnyBaws

We'll find out on Sunday, if he adopts the same tactics against Chelsea.. if so, how does this sit with Untied fans? Tactical genius or just a negative?

The thing with the likes of Pep, Klopp, Wenger, Poch, to name but a few, they have a way of playing and they'll play it home and away..
    Jose appears to be more pragmatic in his approach, good or bad, its the way it is...

11. Jimmy Squarefoot

We played poorly, didn't lose and kept a clean sheet

Could have been worse.

12. JonnyBaws

And it only took 63 pages, X hunderd posts to get to that conclusion..
    To the point and that's all we got too :D

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  13. saintPort&Ginger

Hmmm. I'm still not convinced.
    I'm not trying to do a hatchet job on the guy, just telling it as I see it. I was hoping to see a distinct improvement on Mignolet but I'm not seeing that so far, and it's worrying me. Analysis of aspects of his game is all very fine, but in the end - is he going to make us a stronger team? Because that's all that counts.
    I appreciate that he may need time, but we can't afford any iffy performances now, when we've started the season so well and need to push on. He's just not as solid or as confident as I'd hoped.
    Anyway, like I said earlier - let's see how he gets on in a game where he has more work to do than than a poor Utd attack were able to give him.

14. BobbyD

BobbyD President

You've posted a few but will respond to this one.

On Karius he looks like an accident waiting to happen. To be fair it's his first game and it was a high pressure game but whenever he had the ball i was nervous for him.

He flapped consistently, the worse one when ibra pushed lovren and that pass to pogba/rashford (cant remember) was absolutely criminal. His distribution looked pretty bad and was exemplified when he kicked the ball out of play on the final kick of the match, no where near anyone.

I agree with you on clyne. Defensively solid but on the ball he's really bad. The one plus is that if theres space he's quick and athletic enough to just knock it and run and get a cross in.

15. Milk not bear jizz

The shift to defensive football started back with Ferguson. His last few years he played really boring defensive football.

It's been the same since... Moyes, LVG, Jose. All boring safety football. I think it's what the Glazers like.

16. saintPort&Ginger

It's his 4th in a row. He played the previous two league games and the one in whatever they call the League Cup these days.

17. astro

astro Well-Known Member

GK played his 3rd ever PL games for us, 66% of first choice midfield injured, up against a squad that cost twice as much

18. Milk not bear jizz

The best name it ever had was "the Milk Cup" <ok>

jenners04 and saintPort&Ginger like this.
  19. astro

astro Well-Known Member

Boring football = more time spent buying souvenirs and food/drink

20. astro

astro Well-Known Member

Why do pundits think it's "clever" for teams to come to Anfield and only play for a point when we've repeatedly shown that we'll probably get all three in the away leg?

So a point is only an improvement over us doing the double on you, and that seems to be the limit of Mourinho's #ambition

"This is a point that stopped them winning three," said Mourinho. "Two shots on target with 65% of possession. You have to be critical of Liverpool. It is their problem, not our problem."