1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Liverpool V Man Utd - Premier League

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by moreinjuredthanowen, Sep 30, 2016.

?

What will occur

Poll closed Oct 16, 2016.
  1. Liverpool Win

62.5%
  2. Draw

25.0%
  3. Utd win

20.8%
  4. I love a good ****!

4.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. saintPort&Ginger

We often use the keeper as an extra man whilst trying to work forward from the back. The prevailing wisdom was that Karius is a better ball player than Mig, but the latter doesn't **** up all that often with his feet - his problems are elsewhere. Mig's long ball distribution is pants, but Karius' was no improvement.
    I don't really understand why Karius seems such a bag of nerves all the time, he must feel there's a lot of pressure on him. If he continues like this, I can see him being dropped for a while in order to lessen that pressure.

2. InFrancroatiaWeTrust

InFrancroatiaWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

That was annoying, you could see him looking for the forward pass but I don't think he ha s much on and as soon as he turned sidewards, he only had 1 way to go as he's right footed. I don't think made huge difference, only other option WA slump it long to cout or Lallana to win a header against stalking baiky and fellaini!

I thiught hendo played ok in 2nd half. Moved the ball around fine and offered protection to counter attack. Dealt with pogba fine.

JonnyBaws likes this.
  3. JonnyBaws

JonnyBaws Well-Known Member

He's not made a worldie of a save yet or come out and claimed the ball yet, once he's done both, it'll help with the confidence and he'll come good... hopefully!
    Klopp see's the lad as our long term #1, there will be growing pains, we'll have to accept that..

organic red likes this.
  4. JonnyBaws

Jimmy... Pass it forward to who? They packed the defence, no one was available so we pass it forward for the sake of it and lose possession?
    Keep the ball, be it forwards, backwards or sideways and move the opposition around.
    At the time, you'll remember Firmino was off the pitch, we had Origi up top, who's no Firimino who's always moving trying to make space for himself and others..

For example, Hendo tries to force the ball forward, they cut it out and they counter and score.. you'd still happy with Hendo trying to play that forward pass?

saintPort&Ginger likes this.
  5. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

He looked incredibly nervous last night, but I suppose he's young for a keeper at that level.

He got lucky twice and has Zlatan to thank for both. The cross when he flapped at it, fortunately for him Zlatan had committed a needless foul on Lovren, and then the awful pass, when Zlatan didn't react quick enough to the situation and failed to get himself back onside.

On that showing he doesn't look like an upgrade on Mignolet, but it's only one game, so we'll see.

6. saintPort&Ginger

Well you'd assume that's why he bought him, but it wouldn't be the first time a signing failed to live up to expectations. :)
    And there's a limit on the amount of time you can afford to give someone in such a crucial position.
    I just think it's a strange one - I knew nothing about him until we were first linked, but so far I can't see what significant improvement he's offering. And I include the video that was going around when we signed him - in that he kept pushing the ball back out into the danger area.
    Really, Utd did **** all to test him so we'll have to see if he responds well when put under genuine pressure. Perhaps being busy will take away the nerves and instinct will kick in.

JonnyBaws likes this.
  7. saintPort&Ginger

I agree with this.
    Players often get blamed for not making a forward pass, but there's no point unless there's one on.
    I very much doubt Hendo sees a good forward option but then decides to play it back instead. In ye olden days it was drummed into us to keep possession, even if it means going backwards. It's up to the rest of the team to find a way to give the man with the ball some viable options.

JonnyBaws likes this.
  8. JonnyBaws

Well, in Mings we have a half decent replacement, so Karius needs to adapt and adapt quickly..
    You maybe right, in most games, he's had very little to do on an instinctive basis and errors have come when he's had to think about it..
    The two goals he did conceed against Hull and Swansea, a more confident goalie would have come and either gathered those balls or punched clear..
    He needs to be bombarded this week in training because he's gonna get tested by Jose Pulis this weekend!

9. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

<whistle>

Enricky. likes this.
  10. Solid Alboland

Solid Alboland Well-Known Member

exact opposite for me Can is too slow to react nearly all the cover from CM came from Henderson last night but Can has "better" feet than Hendo

11. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

Sorry saint but there is no comparison in terms of who is better with the ball at his feet. Mignolet needs around 20 touches just to control the ball. Karius is very open to getting the ball and looking for options and doing it quickly.

As with any ball playing footballer, they will make more mistakes by default because they have more of the ball and take more risks.

Agree with everything else.

12. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

So he takes less touches before hoofing it into touch or gifting it to the opposition....

I see

:bandit:

13. LuisDiazgamechanger

If Can had scored last night, no one is going to complaining now. Every player have good and bad side.

14. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

For a supposed attacking player, Hendo often bottles the risky pass. In the example in injury time, he had two close options to pass to. He chose neither and opted to pass back.

We've seen time and time again, don't give him time or space and he bottles it. He's supposed to be getting the ball from the GK and looking forward. There were a few occasions when he just passed it straight back because he's too afraid to turn.

I'm not saying he has to make a forward pass every time but he's the captain of Liverpool - show some bottle in the midfield and take risks.

THE FOOL likes this.
  15. Solid Alboland

Solid Alboland Well-Known Member

Bit harsh imo
    whilst that was true of Migs previously this season his footwork has improved considerably though it still feels forced rather than coming naturally

16. astro

astro Well-Known Member

Mignolet's problem isn't his footwork it's his passing and also when he has the ball in his hands he's incapable of releasing it first time, always the fake throw then 20 seconds looking around

17. Milk not bear jizz

Milk not bear jizz Grasser-In-Chief

He could only be an upgrade on Studge and Origi this season. Both have been mediocre. We missed the boat selling Studge, noone will give us money now.

The way things are going Ings is going to leave us in January and score a hattrick against us for his new team this spring.

18. JonnyBaws

Klopp has stated he's a #6.. grooming to be a #6
    #6 isn't an attacking player..
    He was an attacking MF under Rodgers in the diamond formation...
    His job has changed with the move to #6.. If there is a pass to be played, he'll play it, if there is a shot to be had, he'll take it..
    Right now, he's covering the back 4.. drops in between the CBs or takes one of their positions when Matip and Lovern go forward.
    He covers the ground better, is no worse passer than Can and keeps it simple and keeps ball, the opposition can't hurt if you if you keep the ball and don't give it away.

19. JonnyBaws

If we can get 30m for Benteke.. Studge will go for a similar fee..
    Hoping Ings get's a chance against Spurs, puts in a good display and goes on from there..
    Love the guys never stop attitude, he is a Klopp player, in that he'll be the first line of defence and chase down the opposition!
    People seem to forget, he was pretty decent in his first season the PL for Burnley 11 in 35!
    The way we play, the chances we create, think he's bag at least 10+ goals for us!

20. Milk not bear jizz

Milk not bear jizz Grasser-In-Chief

With any luck United won't do too badly this season. Any lower than 6th they will fire Mourinho and there is a risk they will sign someone competent.

5th or 6th and he meets expectations, keeps job, United remain not a threat next year. Any lower and they sign someone semi-decent like that obnoxious prat Pulis, who is a slight Jose upgrade, and maybe even gets top 4 next year.