1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Liverpool V Leeds Utd Match Thread

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Sep 9, 2020.

1. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

I’ve analysed this in-depth, considered every angle and concluded, I may need a few months to answer that question :biggrin:

2. milkyboy

at times I will criticise poor performances, I’ll say if I think players aren’t good enough - it’s a forum after all. But what is great about this side and this manager is this attitude.

bielsa wasn’t happy we’d given them a scare, he was pi**ed we lost - we set out to try to win every game.

i’d rather we give it a go and get the odd pasting than set out for a 0-0 whenever we play a decent side.

the players are moulded in his image and keep trying to play looking to score.

A Credit to the club, all of them - even the ones I give a hard time to. Delighted for bamford, worked hard, found space deserved his goal.

3. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

No. You're right, we bottled it that year. I just remember watching us at Derby and thinking 'we're back' before the inevitable collapse. <laugh>

4. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

Good one...

Reality is if we could solve our problem of defending set pieces our goals conceded would fall massively. Problem is to do so we need players of a different type, like Ayala or Pontus and then our goals conceded would increase during open play and we wouldn't be able to play out from the back as well.

Our poor results against teams like Millwall are no coincidence.

wakeybreakyheart likes this.
  5. milkyboy

A point on Rodrigo. It was a stupid rash challenge. But it was his clearing header he was following up.. he knew it wasn’t good enough and was trying to make amends. Bad mistake from good intentions. Don’t throw him under the bus.

6. LuisDiazgamechanger

.....So I think<laugh>.

7. milkyboy

Absolutely, get a different type of player anywhere in the machine and it has knock on effects. You accept the weakness for what it is, but try and improve it. Koch and struijk are big lads, coops is decent in the air. It’s the Organization that’s the trouble... until they get their act together they just need to get meslier to come for everything he can and accept he’ll miss a few without blaming him

we were a horror story at every set piece yesterday

8. 2020VisionofLeeds

2020VisionofLeeds Well-Known Member

Not sure if posted already but it’s worth looking at the market values of the squads in the Prem. yes I know transfermkt isn’t perfect but it gives an ‘order of magnitude’ picture.
    7A9F5505-3F16-4FE3-8E54-08989385EA74.jpeg
    And that shows we have almost the lowest value squad in the Prem and Liverpool’s is 8 times the value of Leeds. Just puts it in perspective I think.

southernwhite likes this.
  9. 2020VisionofLeeds

2020VisionofLeeds Well-Known Member

Mind you if we keep playing like yesterday some of our squad are going to go up in value a lot

10. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

The changes Bielsa correctly made at 3-2 couldn't be undone at 3-3.

Not strictly true I know, but Roberts at that point was not going to be as much use defensively as say a Shackleton. Would have been harsh to sub Roberts straight off again so Klich got the hook instead.

11. milkyboy

I think we all harboured that hope<laugh>

12. w.c.dukenfield

w.c.dukenfield Well-Known Member

Marcelo's first game in charge was against Stoke and featured six of the players that played against Liverpool. He has lifted them from mid table championship players to competing against the best team in the country and not looking out of place and we finished the game with three twenty year olds on the pitch. What miracles will Marcelo perform with the new signings plus the young players on the fringe? Exciting times ahead !

13. Infidel

Infidel Well-Known Member

I think Klich got i minor twist in his ankle with a block he put in late on, just hope he is ok, people are noticing the amount of work he puts in and a very important cog on the Leeds machine Bielsa is building.

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  14. organic red

organic red Well-Known Member

Your manager disagrees <whistle>..............whatever you think about the first pen. the second was as clear a pen. as you will ever see.
    And you don't get anything for scoring goals that are offside (usually)
    Overall really enjoyed the game, great entertainment from both sides. Free flowing attacking football, it's what we all want to watch as footy fans isn't it?

15. Sucky

Sucky peoples champ & forum saviour

Wild game that, knew it would be open ended but jheez.

Was very impressed with your lot tbh you'll win more games than you lose playing like that imho.

Trent got done which deffo rattled him for the rest of the game, VVD having and absolute brain fart in the 1st game is hopefully the kick up his arse needed to stay humble and cut that **** out.

Salah will be on fire this year I can smell it.

Expected you to score a couple but I was sweating a little toward the end at 3-3 but again this team finds a way.

Welcome back lads<cheers>

16. sniffer1

sniffer1 Well-Known Member

What you think of the game last night almost drew at Liverpool 89 mins 3-3 they scored last minute and the it 1st goal I don't think was a penalty

17. LuisDiazgamechanger

He have more football brain than the novice<laugh>.

organic red likes this.
  18. Normanbitmyleg70

Normanbitmyleg70 Well-Known Member

Up until now I had no problem with the first penalty being a penalty until it was pointed out that rules concerning handball following deflection off own body have changed as follows:

Deflections
    Premier League players will be allowed extra leeway when it comes to ricocheted handballs.

It is often impossible to avoid contact with the ball if it has deflected off the body of an opponent, team-mate, or even another part of the own player.

So a handball will not be awarded if the ball touches a player’s hand/arm directly from their own head/body/foot or the head/body/foot of another player who is close/nearby.

Therefore quite clearly it should not have been awarded and Shearer doesn't know what he is talking about.

Whitejock, FORZA LEEDS and Jammy 07 like this.
  19. Normanbitmyleg70

Normanbitmyleg70 Well-Known Member

20. lifecheshirewhite

And without your ref Gifted goal, it was 3-3 <doh>