1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Liverpool V Leeds Utd Match Thread

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Welshie

Welshie Chavcunt fanboy dickhead

If you lot lose against Fulham it would be a ****ing disaster. They're on paper the worst team in the league this season, a loss against them would signal a very difficult season in deed.

For the record, I don't think it's going to happen.

Gessa likes this.
  2. Eric Le Merde

Eric Le Merde Well-Known Member

We played them twice last year, which in itself makes them more acquainted with our style than others will be. We lost once, at their place, and beat them 3-0 at ours. So while they should be, they may not be easy. Similarly Sheff U, WBA and Villa all have recent games against us.

3. Welshie

Welshie Chavcunt fanboy dickhead

Is the general consensus that you guys struggle against sides that sit back and defend all day?

Could that not cause big issues for you this season - most of the teams in the league play like that.

I'll be entirely honest, I haven't followed you guys all that much. I'm genuinely interested.

4. esteponawhite

esteponawhite Well-Known Member

Evening all,
    Pissed off and happy at the same time with the result, how is that possible?
    Shows we can mlx it with the best from the off.
    Strap in, hold on tight it's gonna be a ride.
    IBWT
    MOT

5. Eric Le Merde

Generally we have the majority of possession, even against Liverpool we did, so do teams sit back, or are they forced back? We can be susceptible to a break away by a defensive side, but not so much last season. Our ratio of opportunities to goals was very poor last year but so far this year, 3 shots on target and 3 goals, so perhaps they have been working on this. Not sure I'm entirely impartial about this but the current Leeds side are one of the most entertaining I have seen.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  6. OLOF

OLOF Well-Known Member

Bin dipping ****ers got the rub of the green and the refs, we won that game, they get the points, **** it we move on, nowt changes
    And stop with the ****ing kneeling for a ****ing racist, terrorist organisation you ****s

7. foolee

foolee Well-Known Member

I feel some people must be missing something when they don’t single out Klich as being absolutely fantastic. He scores a great goals that he starts, puts some great defensive blocks in and never stops running. Always puts such a shift in, amazing player. Bamford, Harrison and Ayling also all fantastic. Thought Phillips and Dallas got turned a few too many times. Costa player very well but can be a little frustrating at times, I just wish he’d get a little stronger. Pablo had an off day and nothing was coming off, you can’t pass to the opposition in this league and get away with it. Meslier did well in goal, no major mistakes, looks assured, confident and the defence look happy with him in goal. Struijk had a great debut considering the circumstances, 1st PL game against the best team in the world the PL champions playing LCB where he’s never played in the first team alongside a new defensive partner. Poor header for the goal and should’ve headed back to the keeper but he’ll learn and he has an amazing range of passing. Koch played well bar the header from VVD, never a pen for the 1st goal so not holding that against him and considering these things went against him he remained composed for the whole game and plays very calmly, he’ll fit in well. Shame about Coops tonight as we could’ve done with his leadership. I think Roberts is out of his depth and shame about Rodrigo pen but it happens. Nice that Bamford has some competition, seems to make him better! Gutting not to get anything tonight which I suppose is only a good thing after playing at Anfield, need a win next week against Fulham though and to play the same again but a bit more solid at the back.

8. LuisDiazgamechanger

This was an incredible game, you deserved a point, I knew it was not going to be easy for us. Hope you you are going to give other top teams hard times too. Well done<applause><applause><applause>.

OLOF, bucks_is_leeds, Infidel and 5 others like this.
  9. Eric Le Merde

Oh we will, Liverpool aren't too bad compared to Scum, Citeh, Chelski, Gooners, Crisp Boys and Spuds

LuisDiazgamechanger likes this.
  10. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

We struggle to break down sides who pack the defence. That's largely down to a lack of quality or guile to find the smallest gaps in the defence. It's not uncommon for us to have 20 shots at goal, have 75% possession, remain scoreless whilst the opposition have one shot, it goes in and we lose 1-0.

I'll tell you how this will go. We will play with that intensity all season. We will get a few points on the board and then at Christmas we will go on a losing run. Everyone will laugh. Around March time we will start winning games again and finish the season ok. That's how the last couple of seasons have gone with Bielsa.

One thing is Bielsa will go out to win every single game. He won't ever try and park the bus. Genuinely don't know where we will end up. Could be a Wolves or Sheff Utd or even a Norwich. Keep your eye on us though, it will be great viewing. We'll play like yesterday every game but hopefully our defence will gain a bit more experience and we get our captain back there.

southernwhite and Eric Le Merde like this.

11. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

... we didn't finish the season ok 2 years ago Emu, but agree with the gist of your post.

Truth is most sides struggle against sides that park the bus... and our high press, high line intense style forces sides to park the bus that didn't set out to. Its a consequence of the style of bielsa ball - possession lots of mainly half chances to us, but cough up some good chances to the oppo every game when they beat the press or we give the ball away.

12. Mj shoulder

Mj shoulder Well-Known Member

Set pieces were our downfall again, but overall it was good to watch.

13. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

No normal for us twat. Lets face it we surprised your arrogant superstars. Just as i said we would. God you are so superior we must worship you..... Pillock.
    Enjoyed watching in what was an entertaining game. But please Leeds stop giving the ball away. Maybe now we have that out of the way we will settle down. Not many sides will score three goals at Anfield.

14. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Not only will we play exactly the same way against everyone, but we will reveal our starting line up at least 24 hours before kick off.

We can't be any fairer than that

15. bucks_is_leeds

bucks_is_leeds Jonny big spuds
    Forum Moderator

Well I'm bloody proud of the boys. Few silly mistakes but Liverpool are a great team. Lots of promise to be taken from the opener and beautiful entertainment <ok>

16. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Not sure Salah would get into our squad ?

Van Dyke not on Struijk level

Henderson must have asked Phillips to autograph the photo he has of him on his bedroom wall

Alison in goal was girly

17. Infidel

Infidel Well-Known Member

We matched them and on some cases superseded the PL champions, I mentioned earlier that if we exploit there full backs we can do damage and we surprised a lot of people.
    Souness insinuated that we would play into Liverpool’s hands, he certainly changed his thoughts after the final whistle, the same whistle that Michael Oliver couldn’t wait to blow for the first penalty which was not a penalty..... the bent twat, so yes lots to be proud of being Leeds and we know we shall do well this season.

18. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

I know we weren't great at the end two years ago. However, we went to Derby in the play offs and played them off the park. We then bossed the game at ER until Casilla decided to throw the season away. We were certainly playing better than we had for a few weeks or so. :emoticon-0148-yes:

LeedsInHeaven likes this.
  19. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

Even after sleeping on it my heads still spinning after that performance and result.

Discombobulated doesn't even begin to cover it. Not sure if we were excellent or worryingly incompetent. Conceding 4 soft goals like that cannot ever be acceptable and yet the general consensus is we played well at the back, all of the defenders & goalkeeper have recieved praise for their performances but yet still 4 goals and let's be honest there could have been more. A little analysis though and we can forgive the first and last goals. The first the harshest of handballs which we all know will happen at the other end and be firmly waved away..time after time. The last goal and utimately the most costly is really hard to take as the team had earn't the right to take something from that game. We simply refused to believe for one second that we would lose. Rodrigo what were you thinking and how could you be so naive and lacking in judgement to make such a decision.

Goals 2 and 3 conceded are from simple set piece balls into the penalty area. The bread and butter of defending which now it seems is our permanent achilles heel. How can we win enough games when concessions like that are always likely ?

But what about the fact we've gone to Anfield scored 3 goals and refused to accept that we are second best to anybody. We went toe-to-toe with the best team in the land and landed some very hefty blows. The goals from Harrison and Klich were top draw and Bamford even had the luxury of failing to convert a one-on-one before finishing with aplomb on his weaker side. Some of our passing and movement was sublime, we played out from the back and refused to alter our style or method of playing. When things went against us with the soft goals conceded we didn't shrink or hide, in fact the opposite we stood up, played excellent football, attacked the champions in their own back yard and three times levelled the game.

It's all so confusing...are we going to comfortably finish top 10 or will our defensive frailties mean we struggle and become ensconced in a relegation battle ?

20. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

We did play well at derby... guess I was thinking 10 points from last 9 games and 1 from the last 4 wasn’t a strong finish to the season

NostradEmus likes this.