1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Liverpool V Hull - Premier League

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by moreinjuredthanowen, Sep 20, 2016.

?

what will occur

Poll closed Sep 24, 2016.
  1. Liverpool Win

52.6%
  2. Draw

15.8%
  3. Hull win

31.6%
  1. LuisDiazgamechanger

He was the first choice for Sunderland, now I understand why he declined:laugh:. Beach bal l:laugh: coming to reckoning:laugh::laugh:..

2. moreinjuredthanowen

yes all true.

I'm not sure on livermore. will check

3. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

Klopp says Sturridge should train today after hip problem.

Jurgen Klopp tells the press conference he has yet to decide who will start in goal for Liverpool versus Hull City

4. Jimmy Squarefoot

Klopp on Karius/Mignolet: "The decision for the next game doesn't mean that will be the decision for the next five years."
    #LFC

Klopp: "Sturridge should train today. Lallana and Gini will be ready. Joe Gomez is doing well but he's not team training yet."

InFrancroatiaWeTrust likes this.
  5. Zingy

Zingy #ziggywould

I think we should opt for Karius. We should be looking at dominating Hull just like we did against Burnley.

Migs didn't have much to do vs Burnley given that we conceded two goals...but I think that with the way we play and with this sort of game we should use a keeper like Karius who likes to play high up. Judging by what people have said vs Derby and his time at Mainz, he is our answer for a sweeper keeper.

6. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Klopp press conference - the main points
    That’s it from Jurgen Klopp - but don’t go away because I’ll have plenty more detail, reaction and videos from Klopp’s press conference on the way.
    Here are the main points made by the Liverpool boss:
    • Klopp excited by League Cup draw against Spurs
    • Reds boss giving nothing away on which goalkeeper will start on Saturday
    • Liverpool need to be “angry” against Hull - Klopp wants fans to play their part in the game
    • Klopp talked at length on how the Reds can play against teams that ‘park the bus’
    • Klopp happy to have a selection dilemma with his attacking players
    • Sturridge fit to play - Gomez still not team training
    • Klopp wants less signings next summer - it’s all about development now
    • Reds boss unhappy Augsburg found Ragnar Klavan before Dortmund

7. Jimmy Squarefoot

I agree - he is very positive. Whilst Migs
    Hasn't made many errors this season, his kicking is atrocious and Klopp went absolutely mental at him a couple of times during the Chelsea game.

I'd say let Karius play now - let him develop and make mistakes. We're building for the future.

luvgonzo likes this.
  8. Zingy

Zingy #ziggywould

Agreed. Migs is a fine keeper, I rated him at Sunderland and he is very good to have as back up. But he's more of a shot stopper and not quite what we want in his all round game...more suitable for a West Brom, Leicester or Man Utd sort of team (hoofball). It's like the whole Joe Hart/Bravo thing....Hart just isn't what Pep needed. The media made such a big thing about it because he was England's darling and they didn't want to see their no. 1 keeper not playing week in/week out.

Having said that...Karius' may be good with his feet and all, but that doesn't mean we're better off having him in goal if he's going to cost us poinys from crosses or other aspects where Migs may be better than him (I don't rate Migs at crosses either). We shall see...

9. LuisDiazgamechanger

I think it's good enough for Migs and Karius to know that they are not safe. That fear is enough to keep them on their toes. I will not advocate for Simon Mignolet not to start against Hull. We are too much in a hurry, a time is coming when Karius. will have a run and chance to prove himself.

10. InFrancroatiaWeTrust

InFrancroatiaWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Nice to have genuine competition for Mig now though. Last 4 years he's had no one challenging him.

Alisson Becker is N01 likes this.

11. LuisDiazgamechanger

Do any of you think Karius. will keep a clean sheet in any of the games will played in the league this season?.

12. Jimmy Squarefoot

I don't think he could have done much about the goals we've conceded - but shot stopping is just a part of goal keeping.

The defence have zero confidence in him, he comes across as someone who has little authority and confidence in himself, he's rooted to his line, and he can't pass or distribute.

Whilst he may not be directly attributable to any goals conceded this season, it doesn't mean that he's played well either.

13. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

That's FAR too complimentary.

14. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

It says Karius, NOT Mignolet <laugh>

Jimmy Squarefoot likes this.
  15. saintPort&Ginger

16. InFrancroatiaWeTrust

InFrancroatiaWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Dont think you can say they have no confidence in him. He's been decent this year and in last year or so he's got better from crosses, mainly when he comes and punches rather than tries to catch.

If I was Mig I'd have had no confidence in Moreno/Lovren and skirtle last year either to be fair to him though.

Not seen enough of Karius, don't think Mig has been directly responsible for any goals this year, but hard to say if one would have done better than other. Keeper is tricky because that stability is key between CB and keeper, but can you drop Mig if he's done nothing wrong? How do you explain that to him and keep morale up at the same time?

17. Zingy

Zingy #ziggywould

Again, this goes back to my comments on the Burnley game. I wonder how it would have been different if we had a keeper high up the pitch and good on the ball? How does Karius command his defenders? Migs hasn't done much wrong so far, but I look forward to seeing what Karius is like.

Jimmy Squarefoot likes this.
  18. Jimmy Squarefoot

It's a fair point but he has shown that he is inconsistent and error prone for the past 3-4 years. I hope he does improve but stylistically, he's not the aggressive type of keeper I think klppp is after.

As mentioned, klopp went absolutely berserk when Migs kicked it out of play, and that was because he miscontrolled a simple pass. His distribution and decision making is really suspect - he likes to play defenders into trouble at times.

19. moreinjuredthanowen

with respect on mingolet.

HE IS TWENTY EIGHT... lets not start using terms like building for the future to dismiss what is a young age for a keeper.

Mingolet has some skills, shot stopping and pen saving primarily but until you sit in a stand and watch them warm up you can't appreciate the skills these guys actually have. Brad jones for example.. I watched him warm up and he was ping balls onto a spot time after time in warm up... it didn't make him any less **** i nthe end but Its not about denigrating mingolet it should be about having a reason to prefer Karius and a manger must give positive feedback that related to what a guy can do to improve not what he's done in the past.

20. LuisDiazgamechanger

Klopp: How Liverpool can beat 'bus-parking' teams
    Jürgen Klopp wants his Liverpool team to prove that their Burnley slip-up was exactly that by putting another newly-promoted side to the sword when Hull City visit Anfield on Saturday.
    The Reds' second outing of the new season ended in frustration as they went down to a 2-0 defeat at Turf Moor, despite boasting 80 per cent possession and taking an incredible 26 shots at goal.
    That result remains the only blot on the copybook for Klopp's side this term, with impressive wins over Arsenal, Leicester City and Chelsea as well as a draw against Tottenham Hotspur accounting for the 10 points they have claimed thus far.
    And, while the manager concedes his team will have to be better when they take on the Tigers, he does not believe they have a problem in picking apart opposition who sit deep.
    "That's something like a rumour - I don't know. We are able to create chances against each team," he told reporters at his pre-match press briefing.
    "We did it [against Burnley], maybe we didn't score so we have to think why, and many people think we have big problems against - how you call it - bus-parking [teams].
    "But I saw not a lot of space against Chelsea. I cannot remember a lot of space against Tottenham - they were with 10 men behind the ball when we had the ball. We are all involved in defending so that's how it is. We have to find solutions."
    #video_div_LFC_VIDEO_PLAYER iframe, #video_div_LFC_VIDEO_PLAYER object, #video_div_LFC_VIDEO_PLAYER embed, #video_div_LFC_VIDEO_PLAYER video { height: 100%; left: 0; position: absolute; top: 0; width: 100%; } #video_div_container_LFC_VIDEO_PLAYER, #video_div_LFC_VIDEO_PLAYER { height: 0!important; overflow: hidden; padding: 0 0 56.6%; position: relative; }
    please log in to view this image
    Play Now
    See Klopp's pre-Hull City press conference in full with LFCTV GO
    The German also highlighted the mental approach to games against so-called lesser teams as an issue, specifically when it comes to missing chances.
    He believes the reaction of both of his players and fans when an opportunity is squandered is often helpful in 'big' games, but less so in other fixtures - and he is keen for this to change.
    "I think we all can improve, and by all I mean the coaches, manager, and the crowd because it is all about expectations," he added.
    "If you create a chance against Chelsea, if you miss it is still positive because you showed the way to create a chance.
    "But if you create a chance like this against Burnley and you miss it, it's not positive, it's negative for everybody. It feels like, 'It should have been a goal!' or whatever.
    "We have to learn to take the games as they are and not rate the opponent and say, 'this game is easy'. No football game is easy. So the question is: Is it possible to create the most special atmosphere at 3pm on Saturday afternoon at Anfield? I would say yes, so let’s try it.
    "Missing a chance is positive, because it means you have created a moment where you could score and that is the most difficult thing in football.
    "If we have it in a big game and miss the chance, you can hear it in the stadium, it’s exciting. But if you miss a chance in another game it’s like ‘oh my god’. You miss a chance in a big game, it’s like ‘woah’ then clapping and ‘go again, go again.’
    "Miss a chance in another game, and it’s ‘come on, not the same rubbish again’. We have to go to Anfield on Saturday and set the tone for the afternoon, we have to be in the most positive mood we have ever been in. We all have our role to play."
    Klopp went on to urge his players to focus on exploiting the weaknesses in Hull's game that he and the coaching staff have highlighted, rather than the name of the opponent they are facing.
    "We are in a good moment, and we would make it less good if we start thinking now, ‘but Hull is coming'," he insisted.
    "We should not care about the name of the opponent, and we didn’t care about it before we played Chelsea, Tottenham, Arsenal - not the name, not the players - only focusing on the style of play, what we have to do where are our opportunities, where is the space we can create.
    "We don’t think, ‘Okay, what’s the name? For them only 50 per cent of preparation time.’ No! We are 100 per cent aware of the difficulties we can have in this game. For the players and us, it’s very important to learn to take it as it is."