1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Liverpool replay

Discussion in 'Shrewsbury' started by greenhousmeadowman, Feb 3, 2020.

1. greenhousmeadowman

greenhousmeadowman Well-Known Member

Liverpool Echo has details of the team likely to play against us with Jones as their star player. Looks to be significantly weaker than the team we held at the Meadow. However, the youngsters are playing at Fortress Anfield in front of the biggest crowd they will have played in front of and they will not want to be probably the only Liverpool team to lose there this season. A top performance from our lads puts us in with a great shout of a famous victory. Be brave lads, leave everything out on the pitch and we promise we will raise the roof of the away stand for you.

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  2. Zenfootball2

Zenfootball2 Active Member

whichever team they field it will be tough , can town overcome there nerves and replicate there home peformance or will we go out with a whimper ?

3. Zenfootball2

town are keeping there shape and defending well but Liverpool are controling the game, Liverpool have had a few chances.
    town have not caused liverpool any problems ( they look like a team who have a bad case of stage fright) and are giving away to many soft free kicks in dangerous areas if we keep doing that they will score.

we know Liverpool are good on the ball and can break with speed , but we have not expolited the space that exists when they play a high line.

so lets not do anything silly settle in to the second half and create somthing in the liverpool half.

4. Zenfootball2

town having more chances , liverpool are having loads of corners,
    whalley goal disallowed and poor williams scorers an own goal .

5. Zenfootball2

all credit to liverpool youngsters for the way they controled the game and the way they moved the ball, it is always disapointing when you lose to an own goal but to lose at at anfield to liverpool in the fourth round of the FA cup is bitterly cruel.

this feels like Wembley groundhog day all over again; town had stage fright / over awed by Anfield which lasted for the first half.
    all credit to a well schooled liverpool youth team who controled the game , were good on the ball and had town on the back foot for lengthy periods of the game.

disapointed that town were unable to replicate the performance from the previous game, disapointed that towns goal was disalowed by VAR feel very sorry for poor williams to score an own goal that put us out of the game but Liverpool desrverd the win
    frustrated we just blew a great chance to get through to the fith round town just did not show the attacking intent we showed in the previous game, we had a brief spell with 30 minutes to go and that was it.

but Rcketts got the negative tactics were wrong we sat back of liverpool allowed the youngsters to grow in to the game.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  6. Zenfootball2

Ricketts now needs to dust the team down and try and build them up for a vital home game were badly need get a win and put a dismal run of results to an end.
    if we dont get somthing from this game then i expect the rickett haters to go into overdrive.

7. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Own goal is a cruel way to go out of any competition and you have to feel for the player who did it. Saw it on a replay and could see what he was trying to do. But, you have to say that you would take some of those Liverpool kids for your own team wouldn't you. I certainly would. If that is their up and coming then they are going to dominate for years when they all graduate. From the snippets I saw they definitely played well above expectations. Well my expectations anyway.

Think some of your players might dwell on losing a game to a bunch of teenagers and that is how the press will report it. Your manager will have a bit of a job picking them up for the next game. Either that or they will want to go out and prove something which is how you hope they respond. Anyway, you made a few quid out of the cup run which is never a bad thing. Cash is king in the lower reaches.

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  8. greenhousmeadowman

With the exceptions of Edwards, Pierre and O,Leary I thought we were poor last night. Did not have a decent attack in the first half - just stood off them and gave them confidence. Gave away a second embarrassing own goal in two games against Liverpool and then had little reaction. Our best finisher came on too late and we did not get the ball into him once. I always thought the Ricketts out crowd were a bit over the top but, if this sort of dross carries on, many more fans will be thinking the same. Stop playing players out of position and start attacking before the 80th minute would be my advice.

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  9. greenhousmeadowman

You are spot on Zen about us seeming to freeze but I feel the responsibility must lie with the manager for our negative mindset, especially in the first half. In the times it says 'the visitors approach was puzzling. They were determined to keep their shape rather than take risks and did not appear to want to expend energy'
    Our most important advantage was our physicality but the way we played completely negated that. Yes it was Liverpool but many in that team lost all three matches in the Leasing.com trophy and were also 4-0 down at half - time against Villa. It was very surprising to see them being the more composed side considering the occasion. I think our fans were badly let down last night.

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  10. Zenfootball2

spot on

11. Zenfootball2

whalley's hamstring injury is a real blow lets us hope it is not a bad one

ricketts interview fatigue was mentioned a number of times , whilst we have played 3 games in seven days players were rotated. for me the what i witnessed was a team who failed to impose themselves on the game, i dont deny the skill of the liverpool team , but we were not winning enough of the 50 - 50 balls , as you say greenhousemeadow we showed very little physicality . we also showed very little attacking intent. in the first game we attacked the space behind the high line how many times did we do it in this game.
    we sat back allowed liverpool to grow into the game then control it and we bottled it.

when rickeets started i thought we had made a mistake, whilst i dont like the negative tactics, this season i think he has done a good job and he has brought in some good players but we are on a bad run . lose on saturday and the B&A forum will go into meltdown.

12. Zenfootball2

www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/02/04/liverpool-vs-shrewsbury-town-fa-cup-replay-live-score-latest/

"Ricketts’ challenge was to ensure his players did not play the venue or the jersey in front of them. As his players spent much of the resembling fathers trying to retrieve the ball from their young children, it was difficult to avoid the possibility they may have been more intimidated than necessary.

A tie which cast Shrewsbury as the underdogs seeking to put the arrogant upstarts who dared demean the FA Cup was somewhat transformed as the visitors showed little ambition, as if they were trying to withstand Mo Salah rather than Canadian international Liam Millar. It was a curious approach summed up when Shrewsbury won their first corner after 24 minutes. Their physical superiority seemingly the most likely source of victory, they opted to play it short and the chance was squandered.

The game was evolving as a poor advert for League One, Ricketts’ side struggling to knit any passing patterns or pressurise an inexperienced defence, albeit we should note Ki-Jana Hoever and Sepp Van Der Berg are Dutch internationals and their technique demonstrated as much."

brutal but true
    i had hope town would roar like a lion but we left with a whimper, another big occassion another groundhog day like wembely.

13. greenhousmeadowman

Very interesting interview with Dave Edwards in the Shropshire Star. Really frank, saying we were awful in the first half, got the tactics wrong and let the travelling fans down. At last someone is accepting some responsibility and if all the lads and the manager had followed Dave's brilliant example on the night we would be booking our tickets for Stamford Bridge now.

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  14. Zenfootball2

if we had replicate the tactics of the first game ,i think we would have had a good chane of progressing but instead we sat back !

15. Zenfootball2

16. greenhousmeadowman

Reading it again I misread the tactics bit - he said we did not implement the tactics in the first half. If that is true where was the leadership from the bench telling them to do it properly? Why wait to half- time to correct it? Everyone around me at Anfield was totally bemused by that awful first half display. When we had our first corner ( after about half an hour) we had a great chance to test their keeper and defence but played it short and eventually lobbed it gently into the arms of their keeper!Absolutely brainless and sums up our performance on the night.

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  17. Zenfootball2

we utterly bottled it , apart from the disalowed goal i dont think we have a shoot on target ?

18. greenhousmeadowman

You are right Zen, I remember one mis-hit from Laurent towards the end that was off target and I cannot remember us having another shot. Thank God it was not on live TV as our 'attacking' display was a total embarrassment. We brought Cummings on far too late and I don't remember him even touching the ball once. We need a couple of good home performances to try to erase Tuesday night from our memory.

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  19. Zenfootball2

"We need a couple of good home performances to try to erase Tuesday night from our memory"
    we have two back to back homes games and they need to be outstanding and we need some wins, if we dont some elements of the fans will start to get ugly

20. greenhousmeadowman

Hope we don't get to the stage where people are booing or chanting negatively about the manager - that's totally self - defeating and does not help the players at all. Let's stick with the team through thick and thin and I think we will come through this bad patch.

Zenfootball2 likes this.