1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Liverpool game

Discussion in 'Shrewsbury' started by greenhousmeadowman, Jan 21, 2020.

1. greenhousmeadowman

greenhousmeadowman Well-Known Member

It is not every day that we play the team that is currently the best in the world! Obviously, they will not play a full side but I would expect to see players like Milner, Shaquiri and Adrian in their side at the very least. Some of their youngsters looked to be high class in the game against Everton. We are not favourites but a repeat of our performances against Bristol City should at least see us competitive and the longer we stay in the game the harder it will get for the opposition. I expect Ricketts to start with the same team as he did against Bristol City) apart from Whalley replacing Giles and O' Leary replacing Murphy ( who has done nothing wrong) in goal. Udoh will put in a massive shift for us and, when he starts to tire, we should bring on Lang (and later Cummings) so we can ask different questions of them. Liverpool will not want a replay so will be having a right go at us and, if our defence holds firm, that gives us opportunities on the break.
    The lads will need every single one of us behind them 100 % so let's raise the roof and hope for a famous victory!

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  2. Zenfootball2

Zenfootball2 Active Member

i saw the liverpool v everton game and they have pace to burn and have a hard work ethic. town struggled against the pace of Bristol citys wingers it will be a tough game and one to be enjoyed. the revenue will be a big help for town. i just hope we dont conceed anything in the first twenty minutes but equally i hope we dont park the bus. Town showed more attacking intent against bristol than i have seen in any game this season.i hope we show some of that against Liverpool.

3. greenhousmeadowman

Yes, Zen - we are bacically a reactive team and seem to gain a yard or two when playing a better quality of opponent. The two games against Bristol City were two of the best performances this season. Whatever happens against Liverpool I hope we can take some of the fire we have in the cup into our next two home games against MK and Stanley. A couple of wins there could put us back in the mix for the play-offs.

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  4. greenhousmeadowman

Disappointing to hear some of our players fall into the trap of idolising the Liverpool players and wanting their shirts etc. If I was the manager I would ban that sort of rubbish talk . They are officially the best team in the world - we do not need to idolise them but to figure out a way to beat them. On a more positive note the expected sellout has happened without any tickets going on general sale - I knew of several Liverpool fans who planned to get a ticket that way and I am glad they have been foiled.

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  5. Zenfootball2

The last thing you wont is players who are star struck, let us hope Ricketts get them in the right mindset for the game

6. greenhousmeadowman

That star struck player angle is really lazy journalism - the press should try to write something about us and not harp on about slight connections between us and Liverpool. Anyway I thought Ricketts interview on BT sport was spot on and I hope he has a master plan to stop Liverpool despite us having little idea of what sort of team Klopp will put out.

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  7. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

I would guess out team will look something like
    Adrian
    Williams , Matip , Van Den Berg , Larouchi
    Chirivella
    Lallana Jones
    Shaquiri Origi Minamino

Obviously hope we win as it would be nice to have a good run in the FA Cup for a change but hope you give it a go .
    I assume this will be a very welcome boost to your coffers with it being on the box.

8. Zenfootball2

not sure how htey calculate this but figures of £300 k to £400K keep been mentioned for a smal club like ours that means not have to sell players .
    so for us that is a big pay out. we have a very cautious manager who has a de fault position of been very defensive .
    i hope we show the same attaking atitude we showed against Bristol, all i hope is they do there best and you cant ask more of your team.

Solid_Air 2 likes this.
  9. Solid_Air 2

Think you get about £250k for it being a televised game .From a financial pov your club management must be dreaming of a replay .

10. greenhousmeadowman

Solid Air,
    That looks a pretty strong team to me and I am looking forward to the game. The only other time we played you (23 years ago) you were very unsportsmanlike and played your first team and won 4-0! I remember Collymore and I think Fowler scoring. Let's hope our lads can do a bit better this time to erase 23 years of hurt!
    No doubt the 150 grand from the TV rights will come in handy but we are one of the very few lower league clubs with money in the bank due to a very savvy chairman so we are not desperate for it. Looks like we will be selling our captain Norburn to Sunderland straight after the game as well. Don't expect lots of long high balls from us - none of our forwards can head the ball so we try to play out from the back. Our back three is our strength - Pierre could play at a higher level and the other two are also quite useful. We will play it very cagey and hope to be in the game in the second half and hit you on the break.

Zenfootball2 likes this.

11. Solid_Air 2

i'm normally wrong with my team predictions so don't be surprised if it considerably different <laugh>
    I'm working on the assumption all of the first choice 11 will be rested for W Ham on wed but some first team squad players will get a run out to get some game time i.e. Lallana & Minamino. though might depend on the medical staffs view re Mane injury and his availability for Wed .

12. greenhousmeadowman

Solid Air
    Also meant to say I like your musical taste - I was always a big fan of the late great John Martyn after seeing him play when I was at uni in the 1970s .

Solid_Air 2 likes this.
  13. Solid_Air 2

John was a genius if slightly dodgy one <cheers>

14. greenhousmeadowman

Going back to the football - what's it like to support a team that wins virtually every game ( I only ask because I will never know). Isn't it a bit boring?

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  15. Solid_Air 2

well i can honestly say i'm really enjoying it as it seems a lifetime since we controlled games like this season though for pure excitement the 13/14 team rate higher but part of the excitement was knowing we needed 3 to be safe .
    I am old enough to remember us in our pomp and it is nice to see us scale those heights again .

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  16. Zenfootball2

i dont really follow the premership but i do like how Liverpool play and your manager seems a nice man, the magic of the FA cup means despite the odds you can hope to beat a big team.

Solid_Air 2 likes this.
  17. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Come on you Shrews. Could be 2-1 up at half time

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  18. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Oh ****, how unlucky was that.

19. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

Well done draw was the least you deserved taken your chances first half you may have won

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  20. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Great effort by your boys. Really unlucky not to win. Don't play like that against us.

Where is everyone?