1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Liverpool champions League squad

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by moreinjuredthanowen, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Lucaaas

Lucaaas Well-Known Member

Its a misrepresentation of the rules to say you need 8 homegrown players. You don't.

It just means that if you only have 7 you can only have a max squad size of 24.

Milk not bear jizz likes this.
  2. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Quite right, if you name 25 then 8 of them have to be HG, if you can't name 8 HG then your squad is depleted by the missing players.

3. moreinjuredthanowen

You always think you are right...

Jan 1 1996. Ok.... if born after they are unlimited use.
    So rashford no issue. Same for the other two...

Lingard is a club trained yes. Thats over 21 ok.....

So for the record.. you are quoting europa league rules.

8 locally trained players needed. It was in europa that the club trained 4 came in ok...

4. moreinjuredthanowen

Locally trained is not the same as club trained. Google champions league and europa league squad rules :emoticon-0148-yes:

5. Lucaaas

In the CL its the same, 4 of the 8 home grown players have to have trained for 3 years between the age of 15-21 at the club. That's probably why we've only got a squad of 22 players, as we haven't got enough players that qualify for that category.

6. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

I bow to your superior knowledge sir.

7. Lucaaas

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=2400510.html

8. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Don't upset him :emoticon-0100-smile

9. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Yay I thought it was 4 years, Pogba counts :emoticon-0100-smile

10. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Aye, Pogba, Lingard and Wilson are our three club trained.
    Jones, Smalling, Shaw, Carrick, Young and Lukaku are our association trained
    We have 15 others on the A list, including Zlatan. So squad of 24 because we only have three club trained.
    Then the B list of U21s is irrelevant at this stage, as you can add as many players as you like to the list by midnight on the day before the match

I reckon Wilson is on our list the same reason Flanagan is on Liverpool's. Neither of them will play, but there is a club trained spot available and you might as well register them just in case you need them or they somehow turn their careers around.

11. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Clyne isn't in your squad, same as Origi:

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/season=2018/clubs/club=7889/index.html

Not enough club trained players to name more than 22 players in your A squad. Bit surprised Clyne was left out, particularly to bring along three keepers. Do you not have a decent youth keeper who could be backup? Or is Clyne that badly out of favour?

12. Enricky.

Enricky. Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He's injured

13. astro

astro Well-Known Member

UEFA #confirms you paid £90m for a local player <laugh>

14. astro

astro Well-Known Member

Yes so no point in filling your squad with #nomarks just to get to 25

15. moreinjuredthanowen

look at ward: he is association trained thats why there's 3 keepers. you always need 3 anyway. you'd be mad to go with 2.

forget the club trained malarchy lads. i was just giving diego a job of work last night cos he's a late night bored hack who is always arguing with someone :)

I dropped a load of ****e on here and ran last night after coming back from cinema, just to keep him busy (i told lucaaas this via pm)

anyway the REAL story is clyne is injured unitl after the final group stage match clearly, markovic is not in squad and neither is ings... in other words LFC have not been inconvienced by any rule here.

BobbyD likes this.
  16. astro

astro Well-Known Member

Thanks for covering for me on my weekend away

moreinjuredthanowen likes this.
  17. LuisDiazgamechanger

Defenders: Clyne, Alexander-Arnold, Matip, Lovren, Gomez, Klavan, Moreno, Robertson, Flanagan, Masterson.

Origi is on loan <doh>.

18. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Aye, but often the third keeper would be in the B squad to save a spot for the A squad. Our third keeper is Pereira so we can have a near full complement of 22 over-21 outfield players. Liverpool has only 19 over-21 outfield players, with three of your 25 being keepers and three spots not being filled as Flanagan is your only club trained player.

I appreciate Gomez, A-A, Solanke and others in the U21s can step up, but it does make the squad a bit thin imo. Even with Clyne injured, I'd have thought you might have wanted Ings or Markovic in for depth outfield.

19. moreinjuredthanowen

The philosophy of klopp is to have experience there. He bought in manninger for really just to be there and work with keepers as well..

All our young keepers are very young.. we bought ward are 19 years old so He is not club trained.

The thing is.... club trained don't grow over night and klopp has to pay for past uselessness by several levels of lfc former coaches...if none are even prem level players and all he gets handed is Flanagan then that's all he has.

Ings v firmino, sturridge and Solanke = no contest
    Markovic is pure dirt.

So as I said lfc have not been inconvienced in the slightest by the rules cos off squad is still small in terms of quality and the numbers are dead wood.

20. moreinjuredthanowen

so.....

summing up.

1. Clyne is injured

2. LFC have one club trained player.. thats fine.. we were lazy and poorly planned for years in terms of youth development. being happy to rely on foreign buys and gerrard/carra. Rafa takes some blame, dalglish and hodgson.. mr rogers gave kids a chance sometimes then not others. Klopp is bring loads through. ITs not just first team though. Rafa appointed segura and borrell to manage the academy. they failed. Our academy right now is ok but not great. we have two young lads coming up for usre but the rest are not so clear cut from now. We pay now for the sins of the past

3. another sin of the past markoiv is not in squad. no loss there

4. lfc have a small squad in senior terms backed by many young players our average squad age is 25. our b list is quite long thankfully.