1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Lilywhites V Canaries

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by JM Fan, Oct 17, 2016.

1. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

IMO, if the first 'double deflection' goal hadn't gone in, we'd quite likely have won the game. It gave them a huge boost and they went on to score another. The second goal was too soft, but I'm not sure RyBen would have made a difference really. For me, Martin has more mobility and offers more going forward but can get caught out at times because of that. With Lambert we said that as long as we were scoring enough goals defensive foibles mattered less and for me that is still generally true as it produces more entertaining football.

As for Brady, I think we are using a different style this season which suits the league but not perhaps Brady. I think there's a good chance we'll use both Pritchard and Wes on Saturday with Brady on the bench. Pritchard's weakness though is he offers little defensively. That is less of a problem if he's playing in the 'hole' rather than out wide but in away games that weakness would be magnified. Naismith would be the better option then, IMO.

NCFC Dorset Branch and JM Fan like this.
  2. RiverEndRick

Klose is a right-sided CB General, but he can also play on the left, so your suggestion isn't that 'crackers' really. Klose is the key as we haven't lost a single game when he has been playing. IMO, we'd have stayed up last season if he and Tettey hadn't been injured.

JM Fan likes this.
  3. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

Thats what I thought, but the crackers bit was in theory the inclusion of Bassong.

Bah!

4. goldeneadie

goldeneadie Well-Known Member

Martin is the team captain. AN had the chance to change this in the summer but chose to keep the status quo. The outcome is, when available, Martin will always be selected.

ilovedelia likes this.
  5. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

Still can't believe we did a Norwich. AGAIN. <doh>

6. oldcanariesfan

oldcanariesfan Well-Known Member

"To do a Norwich" = move from a position of comparative safety to one of relative danger.

ilovedelia, ncgandy and RiverEndRick like this.
  7. RiverEndRick

...without really meaning to do so! <laugh>

8. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

And IMO, therein lies the problem!!!!

carrowcanario likes this.
  9. ilovedelia

ilovedelia Well-Known Member

"Defensively we need to do better as a team".
    Alex Neil stating the bloody obvious!
    Last week it was individual errors!
    I wonder what the next excuse or reason will be?

10. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Drop RM???? He gave CM al the space in the world to score the equaliser last night!!!!

11. RiverEndRick

I don't see it as an excuse but a reason it could be. This issue goes back a long way and has to do with the balance between attack and defence. Like Lambert and Neil Adams, AN believes in attacking football as the priority, but also that attacking players need to track back when the ball is lost. Redmond was a very good attacking player, but never really accepted his secondary role. Jacob already does a better job at that and uses his pace to cause problems for defenders like when he drew the first penalty last night.

For defenders, the same problem exists. They could stay back and defend in depth but that would be at the expense of our attacking strength to overload defences. The key lies in individual decision making to achieve that balance. Klose is probably our best defender in that regard, but even he gets it wrong sometimes. As a CB/RB Martin is encouraged to get forward more to support the attack which, IMO, he does very well, but it makes him more liable to getting caught out as he was for their second goal.

The alternative would be for the defence to sit back, which would invite opposition attacks. When we did that against Newcastle it failed and AN was heavily criticised for that when, IMO, the fault lay with the players who failed to defend the box for the final 2 minutes, RyBen included. I like the emphasis on attack and am willing to accept the occasional blip as long as we keep racking up an average of 2 points per game, which we are doing.

JM Fan and canary-dave like this.
  12. ilovedelia

That's a long reply to say I'm wrong!!

13. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Isn't it strange, when defenders play badly many among us blame the manager but when we win comfortably the same people praise the players?

Poor sod doesn't stand a chance with a lot of you! :(

JM Fan and K E M P like this.
  14. RiverEndRick

It's not about wrong or right, ILD, but for me it's also about the analysis of the actual football. The manager and individual players are often easy targets but it's seldom quite that simple, IMO.

JM Fan and canary-dave like this.
  15. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

If by doing quite well you mean that we get ourselves into a position where we can stamp our authority on the league, only to fall at the final hurdle then, yes, I guess we're doing quite well, not that will get us promoted at the end of the season.

JM Fan and ilovedelia like this.
  16. ilovedelia

I think you'll find the "quotes" were the managers analysis of the performances!

17. carrowcanario

Not all of us do, irrespective of whether we win or not, the inherent problems with AN / the squad remain.

ilovedelia and JM Fan like this.
  18. carrowcanario

Second having thrown away a chance to go top and stamp our authority on the league. Newcastle top but only 1 point ahead so all is not lost. If only we hadn’t snatched defeat from the jaws of victory against Newcastle and not switched off for 20 minutes against Fulham then we could have been top in a much more convincing position. At the start of the season I would have been more than happy with our current position, however I continue to maintain doubts about AN and the character of the team. Do we have the bottle to win the league, I doubt it.

6/8 Blackburn 1 (21st) Norwich 4

13/8 Norwich 0 Sheffield Wed 0 (7th)

16/8 Norwich 1 Bristol City 0 (6th)

21/8 Ipswich 1 (12th) Norwich 1

27/8 Birmingham 3 (5th) Norwich 0

10/9 Cardiff 2 (23st) Norwich 3

13/9 Norwich 2 Wigan 1 (22nd)

17/9 Nottingham Forrest 1 (16th) Norwich 2

24/9 Norwich 3 Burton Albion 1 (18th)

28/9 Newcastle 4 (1st) Norwich 3

1/10 Wolves 1 (15th) Norwich 2

15/10 Norwich 3 Rotherham 1 (24th)

18/10 Fulham 2 (11th) Norwich 2

The highest placed team we’ve beat is Bristol in 6th.

Of the 13 games we’ve played 6 are in the top half of the league. Of these we’ve won 1, drew 3 and lost 2.

We’ve played 3 teams in, the top 6 (lost 2, won 1), so against what would appear to be our main competitors we are not doing particularly well in potential 6 pointer games

We’ve beat all of the 7 teams we’ve played in the bottom half of the table.

At the moment it looks like we’re going to beat teams in the lower half of the table but struggle against teams in the top 6.

The next 3 Championship game are against Preston (19th), Leeds (13th) & Brighton (3rd), so looking at past performance I would expect 6 or 7 points. December & January fixtures look particularly difficult and for me we never seem to get good results over Christmas.

19. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

All I mean is you have to be consistent. If you praise players for doing well, then you must blame players for playing badly! You surely don't believe the manager tells them to defend poorly?

20. carrowcanario

I agree it's irrational to pretend everything is fantastic just cause we win, equally when we lose it doesn't mean there aren't positives.