1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Liam Nash............

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by alwaysright, May 21, 2018.

1. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

..........Has stated that he intends to return to pre season training ahead of the rest of the squad - to get sharp and ready for nest season.
    THIS is the type of commitment about which I often mention - that I would like to see from all the squad. It shows his intent. I am genuinely impressed.
    I don't think that we have used tactics that could get the best out of Nash. I hope that he can be given a decent run in the side -- and perhaps play him with Eaves - just like Akinfenwa and McDonald (( but Eaves needs to remain in the middle )). I believe that with a fit Garmston on the left and O'Neil on the right, we have players who can provide crosses - to be won by Eaves - and for Nash to 'feed off' him (( we saw a small glimpse of this type of play against Plymouth - and I wasn't surprised that Tom profited )).
    I am quite a fan of 'old-fashioned' wing play / crossing of the ball. We are unlikely to have any real quality, creative midfielders ( a-la-Dack ), and need to use all available strengths as a route to goal. Eaves, with his height and physicality rarely got enough crosses ( or in the middle to receive them ), and we struggled to score much last season - - my theory isn't rocket science - and has always stood the test of time.

grumpygit, DebbieA and brb like this.
  2. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

This is a weird feeling, I agree with always!
    We were definitely short of speed on the wings and crosses into the box, unfortunately we were also short of players getting into the box.
    The one drawback you get with faster players is they do suffer with a lot of hamstring/muscle pulls and leave you needing cover or a plan "B".

alwaysright likes this.
  3. brb

brb CR250

alwaysright, there you go, confusing me again! Easy done i know hahaha.

When i read what you wrote, i have to look away and think 'are we talking about the same team?' lol

You should take up journalism mate, you could certainly do better write ups then most the dross that is out there. Reading your comments, you actually make us seem like a half decent side. All that 'old-fashioned' wing play / crossing of the ball, has got my juices flowing, either that or i've just pissed myself <laugh>

If health stands me in better stead than it did last season, I will be hoping to get to more games, because your insight into this fantastic team reminiscent of Barcelona is not the memories I have.

I could take you back all the way to January, when i remember writing that if Rochdale had shown more confidence, they would have beaten us. From there on in, I thought we were dross, no creativity, no energy (except Eaves), no nothing. Probably one of the worst Gills sides to grace our turf. So much so, I said it quite clearly at the end of the season, get rid of all of them.

I gave two exceptions, Zak, job done. And Wagstaff....i'm lost for words.

As you said correctly, the theory isn't rocket science! I'm not like most fans, I don't expect us to bust our budget, just give me A player, any player, not league, unknown overseas (Gazza), anyone that is prepared to bust their balls for OUR club.

No, no, no, no, pegleg, take that thought from your head, we don't want AFC has-beens, unless you're buying me a burger.

I wonder what Barcham is doing these days <whistle> even Charlie Lee the little ankle biter...please anyone, just give me someone, regardless of age who is half decent and commited........

grumpygit what yer doing next season <laugh>

Because come 5 years from now, i doubt i will remember anyone from last season....apart from Zak.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  4. alwaysright

brb - thanks !
    YOU know that I have been watching Gills for many years....... I don't expect us to be Barcelona.

I was loathe to criticise Lovell during last season - and struggled NOT to do so ! That sounds strange and a little ungrateful - but - after the initial 'salvation', we went downhill very fast. I believe that 'wrong' tactics were, at least, partly to blame --- I'll give you an example -- I made the comment about the need for Eaves to be more in the middle - rather than much of his time on the wing. This is not his best position - and when he did win the ball on the touchline, too often there wasn't anyone in the middle to receive a cross. Eaves eventually got muscled off the ball by two or three defenders - who had no Gills player to worry about in the 6 yard box.
    I appreciate that the lack of fit, available players, restricted the choice of Lovell - but - when Nash and List WERE available, they were underused.
    I mentioned that in the Plymouth game, Gills employed some of the sort of play that many of us can fondly remember. Don't get me wrong - Plymouth could have won the game - if they had got a lucky break at the beginning of the match. Gills still displayed some frailities - but the difference was that we seemed to realise what we could do - and did it well. The style was pleasing on the eye. I actually would not have been unduly upset if we hadn't won the game --because -- Gills were playing to their strengths ( limitations ), - with all the team giving 100%.
    Gills do not have players of the standard of Barcelona - and until we get the next Dack, and play through the middle, we will probably get the best result from good old-fashioned wing play. If you put in enough crosses, and have a target man in the middle, you will score - and it certainly helps if you have a player to 'feed off' the big man.
    Gumpygit - I know that my plan isn't rocket-science. It might not even be Plan A ( I don't particularly like hoofball, unless 0-1 down with a few minutes to go ). -- but, it is a plan that was available to Lovell - and I felt that it could have been used a little more. I can't help with Plan B.

brb and grumpygit like this.
  5. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Last season we had a few problems,
    Lack of speed on the wings, and when (Garmston) did get forward his final ball was woeful.
    Playing with 2 defensive midfielders left our attacking options lacking.
    Eves by his own admission was ignoring Lovells plea for staying in the middle by drifting out to the wing.
    Our defence looked better than they really were as a result of the 2 defensive midfielders and Holy between the sticks, Holy faced more shots than any other keeper,

p.s.
    I should have mentioned the dip in form coincided with the loss of Clare, we failed to replace him in the January window.

alwaysright and brb like this.
  6. alwaysright

grumpygit - definitely agree that our midfield were / are too defensive. I too noted that fortunes dipped after Clare left us - and we know how good it is to have a Dack in your side. In 'recent' times we had other 'forward thinking' midfielders - but they are extremely rare ( within our budget ) - that is why I say that we need to recognise what we have - and use it as efficiently as possible.
    Garmston's crosses weren't special at times - but maybe that was as a result of him not fully up to speed after a few injuries. I hope for better from him in August - but your point about the lack of speed is very relevant - - it was torture to watch the snail pace of our game ! If we haven't got creative midfielders, then have two wide players -quickly give them the ball - hope that they can beat one defender, cross the ball to about 6'3" off the ground on the penalty spot - Eaves has two choices : score or knock it down for Cody ( you know what I mean ) --- or is that rocket science ? ---- sorry, I forgot - Eaves is stuck on the bloody sideline !

7. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Garmston

8. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Reilly replaced Claire and did just as well . We acually did better until after Pompey

9. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

I actually think Nash has the tools to really do well at this level and would be an excellent foil to Eaves. That's not to discredit Eaves' partnership with Parker in anyway as that's also been very fruitful but a lot of people are after a fox in the box type striker and Nash has been that at lower level, just needs take his opportunity now to stake for the first team in preseason.

grumpygit and alwaysright like this.