1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Let's Call The Whole Thing Off?

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by Stan, Mar 13, 2020.

?

Should the football season be cancelled and declared null and void?

1. Yes

2. Morata

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. astro

astro Well-Known Member

4 months is nothing. Even if we had a vaccine discovered today there would be no crowds in 4 months. Deployment will take best part of a year.

2. astro

astro Well-Known Member

How can you compare 20 PL teams to a business with over 1200 restaurants?

Plus McDonalds directly interact with the general public. Football on TV does not.

3. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

See my comment above !

4. astro

astro Well-Known Member

How many footballers are front line?

One sick person without symptoms in a McDonalds can infect thousands of customers. Footballers aren't interacting with the public.

Footballers will have access to tests every day with specially bought machines (£30k each) with 2.5 hour testing times. What's the testing like at McDonalds?

5. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

They’re opening 15 of them and you’ve completely swerved the actual point.

Drop it now, it was a truly dumb red herring you chose to lob in, and you continuing to dig isn’t going to change that. So cease.

6. astro

astro Well-Known Member

If you're talking about right now then there's zero footballers playing football.

If you're talking about a month from now when football actually starts then I bet there's more than 15 McDonalds open.

7. Number 1 Jasper

You don't get it do you .

The footballer can't infect anybody , apart from his team mates and ALL the staff

The McDonalds thing as Tobes said is DELIVERY only and ( if you look a bit deeper ) is only a trial .

On another point .

Tests to ALL " Front line staff " or Ensuring a Bunch of sports people that they get SPECIAL TREATMENT . ****ing do me a favour you grade a prick .

8. Number 1 Jasper

Sorry . His comment about the players getting £30,000 ( Or access to them ) testing machines has done it for me . I won't put it on ignore , but no , it can do one .

9. astro

astro Well-Known Member

If you had a clue on the situation you would understand the testing equipment the PL is planning to use has specifically been turned down by the NHS. The NHS is interested in handling hundreds of thousands of tests. The PL testing machines are designed for very low numbers of people being tested quickly. So they are perfect for the use case of the PL but worthless to the NHS.

10. astro

astro Well-Known Member

Get over yourself.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...chelsea-frank-lampard-nhs-coronavirus-testing

"On Thursday, the Guardian reported that the Premier League is set to invest in Covid-19 testing machines that cost £36,000 each and can test seven employees per day. There is little demand for these particular machines from the NHS due to costs involved."

11. Libby

Libby 9-0

Yes of course, if neccesary, the point being that professional sport isn't neccesary at present and shouldn't be anywhere near the top of the priority list of getting back to 'normal'.

Will people still be told there's limits on funeral attendances while over 200 can gather in a stadium to watch another 30 play a contact sport?

12. Number 1 Jasper

<applause>

13. astro

astro Well-Known Member

How is it "near the top of the priority list" when all the plans are that hopefully it can resume around 8th June and in a massively restricted way?

14. Libby

Libby 9-0

Social distancing will still be around months beyond that.

15. astro

astro Well-Known Member

And millions of people will also be working non-essential jobs, which will also include some amount of unavoidable contact.

16. Libby

Libby 9-0

If you think that life is going to be back to normal for the majority when they plan on playing this thing then you're mistaken. It needs to be very gradual and professional sports should be among the last things to resume.

Just because you've decided that football won't survive if this season isn't completed it doesn't make it true. I doubt clubs would be wanting that option if that was certain to be the case, and I'm sure they're far more clued up on the situation then a stream watching plassie in Norway.

17. astro

astro Well-Known Member

Do you know any PL clubs that don't want the season to resume? I'm not the one deciding it, they are.

18. RANDY

RANDY Wurzel Gummidge

I think the key phrase is 'when it's safe to do so'.

At the moment, given that players are naturally in close contact with each other, that doesn't really look possible until either the virus has subsided to a point where infections are negligible and/or a vaccine or anti viral drugs have been developed.

Personally I don't see that happening before July 31 when the season must be concluded.

19. astro

astro Well-Known Member

I don't see that happening before 31 July 2021 either.

Why a coronavirus vaccine could take years - and may not be possible at all
    An increasing number of scientists are warning that finding an effective jab may take much longer than 18 months

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-...nds-will-vaccine-coronavirus-really-possible/

haslam likes this.
  20. astro

astro Well-Known Member

David States, chief medical officer of the US health technology company Angstrom Bio:

This is why I say football is behind closed doors or it's finished. Nothing to do with me being a Liverpool fan desperate for PL silverware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.